DHCP will not run from a cold boot...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saturn
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 12:41 am    Post subject: DHCP will not run from a cold boot... Reply with quote

Hi,

I posted this problem a few days ago but I didn't get help. So maybe this time...!

My ethernet card is a Network Everywhere card PCI (NC100 v2). With windows98, my internet is working fine.

Now, if I shutdown my computer (cold boot), wait a few minutes then I boot from the Gentoo 1.2 CD install. Next, I choose the tulip driver (modprobe tulip). Then I type:

dhcpcd eth0

and nothing is happening. I have to type 'control c'. I also tried dhcpcd eth0 -h myhostname with same result.

Here is the funny thing: if I restart my PC and I boot win98, then I can go with internet explorer and verify my internet connection is ok. Now, if I restart and boot back from the Gentoo 1.2 CD, my dhcp will work!!!

Gentoo 1.2 is installed on my HDD and the same behavior occurs...

I think win98 does some settings to my ethernet and gentoo does not...

My last ISP was using pppoe and I had RedHat 7.3 installed without this problem. I can't verify if I will get the same problem if I re-install back RH 7.3 with dhcp now...maybe I will do it next week-end unless some can help me...?

Thanks
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: DHCP will not run from a cold boot... Reply with quote

Saturn wrote:
I posted this problem a few days ago but I didn't get help. So maybe this time...!
Which thread? A cursory glance didn't turn anything up. Posting a reply after 24hrs is considered acceptable to try and bring attention to a thread. Posting multiple times is generally not a Good Thing. Anyway...

Quote:
Now, if I shutdown my computer (cold boot), wait a few minutes then I boot from the Gentoo 1.2 CD install.
My question about this statement is...

Quote:
If Gentoo is installed, why are you booting from the CD?

Quote:
My last ISP was using pppoe
Does your current ISP use pppoe? If so, do you have pppoe support emerged?
Saturn
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: DHCP will not run from a cold boot... Reply with quote

kanuslupus wrote:
Saturn wrote:
Which thread? A cursory glance didn't turn anything up. Posting a reply after 24hrs is considered acceptable to try and bring attention to a thread. Posting multiple times is generally not a Good Thing. Anyway...

Quote:
Now, if I shutdown my computer (cold boot), wait a few minutes then I boot from the Gentoo 1.2 CD install.

Quote:

Because I wanted to re-install Gentoo and I saw the problem is still there from the cd. I thought maybe the problem was with my kernel...If you prefer, just think I boot from my HDD!

Quote:
My last ISP was using pppoe
Does your current ISP use pppoe? If so, do you have pppoe support emerged?

My current ISP uses DHCP.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: DHCP will not run from a cold boot... Reply with quote

Saturn wrote:
My current ISP uses DHCP.
OK, didn't realized DHCP and pppoe couldn't coexist (never used pppoe myself).

kanuslupus wrote:
Saturn wrote:

Quote:
What about this? I'm trying to understand why you are booting from the CD. If I recall, modules on the CD will (usually/always?) not load from a kernel different that the one on the CD. If I'm understanding that correctly, using the kernel CD will then likely not load modules from your HD.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: