Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bert_
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wedge_ wrote:
You could try my kernel config (for 2.6.0-test9). I have similar hardware - A7N8X Deluxe, 9800 Pro, XP 2700. Are you loading the fglrx module before you start X?

OK, tried your config and still no sign of fglrx in the xfree86 log.

I tried the modprobe before hand but no luck.

It confuses the heck outa me, really.

which sources are you using? the gentoo-dev or the plain development ones.

also, do you use xfree-4.3.0-r3? should I recompile xfree and ati-drivers after a kernel upgrade? thought I read somewhere that I should redue atidrivers... which I did
Wedge_
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using development-sources, but the last time I emerged them was before they split off gentoo-dev-sources, so the extra patches from there are included. I'm using xfree-4.3.0-r3.

bert_ wrote:
should I recompile xfree and ati-drivers after a kernel upgrade? thought I read somewhere that I should redue atidrivers... which I did

You just have to update the /usr/src/linux symlink and recompile ati-drivers, xfree should still work fine.
breakerfall
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been having the exact same problem :(

When I saw this thread I thought that I might eventually get the card working... but no joy. I followed the steps to the T up until the part where I startx.

I can access x just fine, however, I get less than 100 fps on glxgears and have no Direct Rendering :( This is really bumming me out. I've tried 2.6 kernels, and now have gone to the 2.4.22 kernel.

I'm using a radeon 9700 pro on a VIA KT400 chipset. AGPgart and VIA support are both compiled in. When trying agpgart as a module, it threw errors and wouldn't load and the via-agp only has compile in, no module option.

Once I have exited X and type dmesg | grep "fglrx", an extra line has appeared:

Code:

dmesg | grep "fglrx"
[fglrx] Maximum main memory to use for locked dma buffers: 430 MBytes.
[fglrx] module loaded - fglrx 3.2.8 [Sep 21 2003] on minor 0
[fglrx:firegl_unlock] *ERROR* Process 1278 using kernel context 0

This is the stage I have been at throughout the whole time I have tried. I can access X but have no Direct Rendering support.

It seems that fglrx isn't being used at all. I have it in the modules.autoload and when doing an lsmod, the Used value is 0.

Anyone have any ideas?
Wedge_
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do
Code:
dmesg | grep agpgart
and see what you get. The problem with compiling things in after the module version has given errors is that the errors may still be there but are harder to notice amongst all the other bootup text.

You'll probably have better luck with a 2.6 kernel if you're using a KT400.
breakerfall
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the 2.6 kernels and I couldn't get into X at all :? I even had a weird vid thing after lilo. Anyway, I've decided to stick with 2.4.22 for now. It has been working better than 2.4.20r8 did.

Code:
[fglrx] Maximum main memory to use for locked dma buffers: 430 MBytes.
[fglrx] module loaded - fglrx 3.2.8 [Sep 21 2003] on minor 0
[fglrx:firegl_unlock] *ERROR* Process 2147 using kernel context 0
[drm] Initialized radeon 1.9.0 20020828 on minor 1
[drm] Module unloaded
Fire GL built-in AGP-support
Based on agpgart interface v0.99 (c) Jeff Hartmann
agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 439M
agpgart: Detected a Via Apollo KT400 chipset in AGP v2 compat mode at
00:00.0
agpgart: Detected Via Apollo KT400 chipset
agpgart: unable to determine aperture size.
[fglrx:firegl_unlock] *ERROR* Process 3359 using kernel context 0
[fglrx:firegl_unlock] *ERROR* Process 3404 using kernel context 0
[fglrx:firegl_unlock] *ERROR* Process 3448 using kernel context 0
[fglrx:firegl_unlock] *ERROR* Process 4942 using kernel context 0

This was what I uploaded to myself. I will do a more updated dmesg when I get home. Someone has pointed me in the direction of the gentoo setup guide to get DRI, so I will try that method as well when I get home.

Regards
Wedge_
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

double post

Last edited by Wedge_ on Wed Nov 12, 2003 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wedge_
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

breakerfall wrote:
[fglrx:firegl_unlock] *ERROR* Process 3359 using kernel context 0

Those messages I've highlighted are why I said a 2.6 kernel was probably better, and why you got errors when you tried to load AGP modules. The AGP support in 2.4 kernels and the driver both have problems with KT400 chipsets, and the "unable to determine aperture size" messages are the usual indicator of this. 2.6 kernels don't appear to suffer from the same problem.

breakerfall wrote:
Someone has pointed me in the direction of the gentoo setup guide to get DRI, so I will try that method as well when I get home.

Is that the guide that talks about xfree-drm etc? If it is, then don't worry about it, you'll only need ati-drivers.

Can you describe the problems you had with 2.6?

Edit: I just noticed you also have DRM in your kernel -
Code:
[drm] Initialized radeon 1.9.0 20020828 on minor 1
[drm] Module unloaded

The fglrx module and other DRM modules can't be used together, so remove DRM support from the kernel.

Last edited by Wedge_ on Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
gen2newB
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey wedge, its me again. I got the modules compiled correctly and they load on boot up, but i dont have Direct Redering. I am running the 2.6 kernel and have just about everything except for that going. Any suggestions?
breakerfall
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The really strange thing is that I definately don't have DRM compiled in the kernel :? It's not selected at all....

When I tried the 2.6 kernel, X wouldn't start in the slightest. I couldn't get it working at all. I also had a couple of other errors in the boot up.

I also had a weird vid display after lilo. Once the boot had continued past lilo, the remnants of a few blocks of red were scattered around the screen. But they stayed where they were. As the boot text and dmesg moved up the screen, so did they.

One thing I should point out, is that I don't seem to have /dev/agpgart at all. Is this because of the kernel not detecting video aperature size?

breakerfall
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, 2.6 Kernel is in place. No vid weirdo problem but get some stupid error about not being able to use keyboarddev and mousedev... weird. Re-emerge ati-drivers for the fglrx.ko and startx. Bumf, thrown out with errors :? I re-do xconfig and bumf, computer freezes hard.

Man, this was so much easier on the machine with the nvidia drivers. They have done a decent job. However, the 2.6 kernel did detect my AGP aperature size.

Is there another kernel you could suggest I try? 2.4.22 doesn't see my aperature size and 2.6 is just bum for me at the moment. Anyone have any ideas on another kernel I should try?

Wedge_
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gen2newB wrote:
Hey wedge, its me again. I got the modules compiled correctly and they load on boot up, but i dont have Direct Redering. I am running the 2.6 kernel and have just about everything except for that going. Any suggestions?

Check your /var/log/XFree86.0.log file for errors, check dmesg for errors, and if you've compiled AGP support in the kernel as modules, make sure you've loaded both of them.

breakerfall wrote:
The really strange thing is that I definately don't have DRM compiled in the kernel It's not selected at all....

Did you emerge xfree-drm at some point? That installs some DRM modules too.

breakerfall wrote:
Okay, 2.6 Kernel is in place. No vid weirdo problem but get some stupid error about not being able to use keyboarddev and mousedev... weird. Re-emerge ati-drivers for the fglrx.ko and startx. Bumf, thrown out with errors I re-do xconfig and bumf, computer freezes hard.

Did you update the /usr/src/linux symlink? It has to be pointing the current kernel sources or the fglrx module won't be compiled for the right kernel. Also make sure you have "UseInternalAGPGART" set to "no" in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4. Can you post your kernel config file (/usr/src/linux/.config)?
breakerfall
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wedge_ wrote:
breakerfall wrote:
The really strange thing is that I definately don't have DRM compiled in the kernel It's not selected at all....

Did you emerge xfree-drm at some point? That installs some DRM modules too.

That's the one.... did emerge xfree-drm at some point :?

Wedge_ wrote:
breakerfall wrote:
Okay, 2.6 Kernel is in place. No vid weirdo problem but get some stupid error about not being able to use keyboarddev and mousedev... weird. Re-emerge ati-drivers for the fglrx.ko and startx. Bumf, thrown out with errors I re-do xconfig and bumf, computer freezes hard.

Did you update the /usr/src/linux symlink? It has to be pointing the current kernel sources or the fglrx module won't be compiled for the right kernel. Also make sure you have "UseInternalAGPGART" set to "no" in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4. Can you post your kernel config file (/usr/src/linux/.config)?

Yep, symlink was changed to have /usr/src/linux pointed at 2.6. The fglrx was re-compiled for the newer kernel :) Unfortunately, the newer kernel gives me hassle with a ton of other things. To start with, I get keyboard and mouse errors. The xconfig created by fglrxconfig is sound aswell. I did the kernel config the way I think it should have been, but saying that, I only have experience with the gentoo released 2.4 kernels.

To be honest, I would rather leave the 2.6 kernel alone for now. Is there any other kernel which would support my via KT400 chipset?

http://www.symclan.co.uk/kernconf.txt <-- My 2.6 kernel config :)

Appreciate your assistance in this.... thanks

Last edited by breakerfall on Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
gen2newB
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have them compiled in my kernel, but i will try it again and see where i end up.
Wedge_
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

breakerfall wrote:
Yep, symlink was changed to have /usr/src/linux pointed at 2.6. The fglrx was re-compiled for the newer kernel Unfortunately, the newer kernel gives me hassle with a ton of other things. To start with, I get keyboard and mouse errors. The xconfig created by fglrxconfig is sound aswell. I did the kernel config the way I think it should have been, but saying that, I only have experience with the gentoo released 2.4 kernels.

To be honest, I would rather leave the 2.6 kernel alone for now. Is there any other kernel which would support my via KT400 chipset?

I could be wrong, since I haven't used 2.4 in ages, but not as far as I know. All 2.4 kernels will have the same basic AGP support, and that's where the problem is. Until the changes are backported from 2.6, they're all likely to behave the same way.

breakerfall wrote:
http://www.symclan.co.uk/kernconf.txt <-- My 2.6 kernel config

Appreciate your assistance in this.... thanks

Which kernel did you emerge? Try compiling the AGP support options as modules instead. You'll need to load two modules with a 2.6 kernel, agpgart and via-agp. Try removing SMP and APIC support, just in case they're causing problems. Also, you seem to have Pentium IV support selected instead of Athlon :)
breakerfall
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wedge_ wrote:
Which kernel did you emerge? Try compiling the AGP support options as modules instead. You'll need to load two modules with a 2.6 kernel, agpgart and via-agp. Try removing SMP and APIC support, just in case they're causing problems. Also, you seem to have Pentium IV support selected instead of Athlon :)

Duh... ha ha, whoops. I have gone through compiling kernels about 20 times in the past few days. I guess I rushed that last time ;). I emerged /sys-kernel/development-sources/development-sources-2.6.0_beta9. I just had so much trouble. Last time I had to have PTY, then this time it complained about something else. Throws errors when loading kb / mouse and also fails xfree on the basis of failing to load core devices.

To make matters worse, I'm trying to a physics assignment and I keep bloody pressing control alt and backspace on the wrong keyboard.... not good :?

Isn't there any kind of patch for the 2.4 range which would enable the chipset support? Any custom kernels floating about that you think I should try?

Again, thanks loads
Wedge_
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

breakerfall wrote:
Last time I had to have PTY, then this time it complained about something else. Throws errors when loading kb / mouse and also fails xfree on the basis of failing to

The I/O device system was one of things that changed between 2.4 and 2.6 IIRC. You could try using my config and see if that helps. It's for an nForce2 board, so you'll need to change the AGP and IDE settings at least.

breakerfall wrote:
Isn't there any kind of patch for the 2.4 range which would enable the chipset support? Any custom kernels floating about that you think I should try?

I don't know of anything that would help it work with 2.4, sorry :( There were patches for the driver itself that provided KT400 support, but since ATI supposedly added the missing code into the newer versions, the patches aren't relevant anymore.
breakerfall
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maximum bummer :cry:

I really wanted to get the radeon working. Maybe when I have finished this assignment I will try 2.6 from scratch. It's just a royal pain, that's all. Would it be worth trying those patched you mentioned? All this because of my chipset. I'm grasping at anything, just to avoid 2.6 for now.

Thanks for you help though. I do appreciate it.
Wedge_
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The patch is available here, but you'll need to edit the ebuild so it applies the patch for you. I don't even know if the patch will apply to the newer drivers, or how it will work if it does. Give it a go if you want, but don't get your hopes up :?
breakerfall
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just been looking around. Seems like 2.4 people are doomed :lol:

However, I came across this guys page: http://www.codemonkey.org.uk/

He has done some patching etc etc and managed to get it working on the 2.5 kernels. If you go into the directory listings and follow 2.5 then scroll to agp, or go here http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/davej/patches/2.5/agp/ there's a diff file. Do you have any idea how I could implement this patch? If I need to, I'll jump to the 2.5 kernels to use it, just that I'm not sure how to apply what he's done.

Or how about using VIAs linux drivers from the website?

Wedge_
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That guy (Dave Jones) is the person who maintains the kernel AGP support. If you check your dmesg you should see something like
Code:
Linux agpgart interface v0.100 (c) Dave Jones

If he added it to a 2.5 kernel, it will still be in 2.6, since the current 2.6 kernels were developed from the 2.5 series. There's not really any reason to use a 2.5 kernel now - the 2.6 kernels have all the new features and are less likely to have problems. 2.5 kernels are also much more similar to 2.6 than to 2.4, so you'd run into the same problems as you have been doing with 2.6.

breakerfall wrote:
Or how about using VIAs linux drivers from the website?

No idea. I've never heard of anyone using them.
breakerfall
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay cool, you've been really helpful. I'll finish off my work tonight and then give it a try tomorrow. Thank again :)
Tiny_Guy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I have a similar issue. For me the driver loads fine but direct rendering does not work. I have an A7N8X motherboard, so I have agpgart and nvidia-agp loaded as modules. Also according to the log agp does not initialize either. Also I'm using 2.6.0-test9. I'm using vesa framebuffer, but that shouldn't be a problem.

Below is the output of XFree86.0.log
Code:

(II) fglrx(0): [drm] loaded kernel module for "fglrx" driver
(II) fglrx(0): [drm] created "fglrx" driver at busid "PCI:3:0:0"
(II) fglrx(0): [drm] added 8192 byte SAREA at 0xe1905000
(II) fglrx(0): [drm] mapped SAREA 0xe1905000 to 0x401f2000
(II) fglrx(0): [drm] framebuffer handle = 0xc0000000
(II) fglrx(0): [drm] added 1 reserved context for kernel
(II) fglrx(0): DRIScreenInit done
(II) fglrx(0): Kernel Module Version Information:
(II) fglrx(0):     Name: fglrx
(II) fglrx(0):     Version: 3.2.8
(II) fglrx(0):     Date: Sep 21 2003
(II) fglrx(0):     Desc: ATI Fire GL DRM kernel module
(II) fglrx(0): Kernel Module version matches driver.
(II) fglrx(0): Kernel Module Build Time Information:
(II) fglrx(0):     Build-Kernel UTS_RELEASE:        2.6.0-test9
(II) fglrx(0):     Build-Kernel MODVERSIONS:        no
(II) fglrx(0):     Build-Kernel __SMP__:            no
(II) fglrx(0):     Build-Kernel PAGE_SIZE:          0x1000
(II) fglrx(0): [drm] register handle = 0xd7000000
(EE) fglrx(0): [agp] unable to acquire AGP, error "xf86_ENODEV"
(EE) fglrx(0): cannot init AGP
(II) fglrx(0): [drm] removed 1 reserved context for kernel
(II) fglrx(0): [drm] unmapping 8192 bytes of SAREA 0xe1905000 at 0x401f2000
(WW) fglrx(0): ***********************************************
(WW) fglrx(0): * DRI initialization failed!                  *
(WW) fglrx(0): * (maybe driver kernel module missing or bad) *
(WW) fglrx(0): * 2D acceleraton available (MMIO)             *
(WW) fglrx(0): * no 3D acceleration available                *
(WW) fglrx(0): ********************************************* *

Also here is the output of glxinfo
Code:

name of display: :0.0
display: :0  screen: 0
direct rendering: No
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.2
server glx extensions:
    GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_EXT_import_context
client glx vendor string: ATI
client glx version string: 1.3
client glx extensions:
    GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_EXT_import_context,
    GLX_ARB_get_proc_address, GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_ATI_pixel_format_float,
    GLX_ATI_render_texture
GLX extensions:
    GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_EXT_import_context
OpenGL vendor string: Mesa project: www.mesa3d.org
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect
OpenGL version string: 1.3 Mesa 4.0.4
OpenGL extensions:
    GL_ARB_imaging, GL_ARB_multitexture, GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp,
    GL_ARB_texture_cube_map, GL_ARB_texture_env_add,
    GL_ARB_texture_env_combine, GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3,
    GL_ARB_transpose_matrix, GL_EXT_abgr, GL_EXT_blend_color,
    GL_EXT_blend_minmax, GL_EXT_blend_subtract, GL_EXT_texture_env_add,
    GL_EXT_texture_env_combine, GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3,
    GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias
glu version: 1.3
glu extensions:
    GLU_EXT_nurbs_tessellator, GLU_EXT_object_space_tess
Wedge_
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiny_Guy: make sure you've got "UseInternalAGPGART" set "no" in your XF86Config, and that the fglrx module is loaded.
Tiny_Guy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have fglrx loaded and UseInternalAGPgart set to no. When I run lsmod, it says that module fglrx is used by 0 processes. I'm using the vanilla 2.6-test9, so there shouldn't be any patches that break agp. Both agpgart and nvidia-agp are loaded as modules, but it seems like the video card is still loading in pci mode. I've tried it with both the external agpgart and the internal one, but there is no difference. I'd rather not revert back to 2.4 if possible. I've gotten so use to 2.6 that I'd rather stay with 2.6 if possible. Honestly I don't know when this started happening. It might have never been working with 2.6-test9, but I first noticed it after patching to love2, but I unpatced it, thinking that love-sources and/or mm patches stopped direct rendering from working. I only get 300 FPS on glxgears, which is very slow for a Radeon card.
Wedge_
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post your "dmesg" output? (do it after you've loaded all the modules and started X)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: