Has anyone checked out eetee?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Corky
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 2:14 am    Post subject: Has anyone checked out eetee? Reply with quote

http://www.eetee.com/

It's supposed anonymous p2p software that can connect to many diffirent networks, just wondered if anyone has given this a go?

The only problem is I have downloaded the application and unpacked the jar file, and I'm not sure what to do with it, and I can't seem to find any instructions for it, anyone? :oops:
nephros
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

java -jar eetee1.0b.jar

It's quite nice. Bittorrent built-in! woot!
ed0n
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it looks really nice.
neenee
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm trying it out too. it looks nice indeed.
Corky
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the instructions, it appears to be working now, and yes indeed it does look very purty. Please post back any findings, cheers
Unne
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks nice, but I can't find a way to clear / stop a search once it starts, which is annoying once you have a few going. That + no KaZaA/FastTrack support + nag screens + the apparent lack of open-sourcedness = bad, to me. giFTcurs is fine for my tastes.
krusty_ar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the gui design, the rest is available in free software. I couldn't connect to any superpeers, but I think that may be because it's a new thing. I find it doesn't report the prograss on some downloads, instead, it just says waiting, too bad it's not free software, I could post a bug report if it where.
Diezel
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine who uses Windows just downloaded etee, and Norton Antivirus told him it has a virus. Anyone have a clue why?
Or is this just some miss from Norton or is there something in the code that makes Norton think it's a virus.

Cheers,

Diezel
FLUG member 473
neenee
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think norton is over-sensitive sometimes.
krusty_ar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diezel wrote:
A friend of mine who uses Windows just downloaded etee, and Norton Antivirus told him it has a virus. Anyone have a clue why?
Or is this just some miss from Norton or is there something in the code that makes Norton think it's a virus.

Cheers,

Diezel

Probably a false alarm (because of the type of network activitie), but I have to admit that when I first saw the site and realized that it wasn't OSS, it was the first thing that came to my mind, an OS specific version of a java app allways makes you think.
nephros
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

krusty_ar wrote:

Probably a false alarm (because of the type of network activitie), but I have to admit that when I first saw the site and realized that it wasn't OSS, it was the first thing that came to my mind, an OS specific version of a java app allways makes you think.

Think along the lines of R.I.A.A?

Well, the eetee.zip versions they offer for download all have the same .jar file. Apparently they are trying to compile the java source to native executables, that's why they have categories for OSes.

Hmm, I unzipped the .jar file, and it seems they are using a lot of other peoples work, for example xnap classes and a GNU getopt implementation.

Now at least xnap is GPL, I can't seem to find the source anywhere on their site. Nor is there any licensing information.
GPL offenders?
Corky
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now struggled somewhat unsuccessfully to get this to work properly, so I have now given up. But I decided to revisit mldonkey, and I have to say I'm extreemly pleased I did, I haven't used it for a long time but I grabbed the latest copy from there site, and simply put, it rocks!!

It has built in support for bittorrent, fasttrack, ed2k, gnutella et al, and it all works seamlessly, giving quite amazing cable maxing speeds. Last time I tried this software I was less than impressed than the peformance, but they have certainly come up with the goods since then, I reccomend anyone who hasn't already to give it a whirl. :lol:
krusty_ar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corky wrote:
I have now struggled somewhat unsuccessfully to get this to work properly, so I have now given up. But I decided to revisit mldonkey, and I have to say I'm extreemly pleased I did, I haven't used it for a long time but I grabbed the latest copy from there site, and simply put, it rocks!!

It has built in support for bittorrent, fasttrack, ed2k, gnutella et al, and it all works seamlessly, giving quite amazing cable maxing speeds. Last time I tried this software I was less than impressed than the peformance, but they have certainly come up with the goods since then, I reccomend anyone who hasn't already to give it a whirl. :lol:

Will try it at home!

nephros wrote:

Think along the lines of R.I.A.A?

Well, the eetee.zip versions they offer for download all have the same .jar file. Apparently they are trying to compile the java source to native executables, that's why they have categories for OSes.

Hmm, I unzipped the .jar file, and it seems they are using a lot of other peoples work, for example xnap classes and a GNU getopt implementation.

Now at least xnap is GPL, I can't seem to find the source anywhere on their site. Nor is there any licensing information.
GPL offenders?

Can you prove it, just let the people from xnap or GNU find about it, as in "tell on them!!"
nephros
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have emailed the eetee guys and requested information about their licensing.

It seems to be a young project though, and their website isn't even fully functional yet, so I think patience is in order. Perhaps they just don't know, or haven't set up links for source code yet.

One shouldn't be too fast alleging someone of license or copyright violation. (Unless you're SCO of course :twisted: ).

But if you want a hint, do this:
Code:

unzip eetee.zip
unzip -d eetee-jar eetee.jar
cd eetee-jar/xnap
fgrep -r "GPL" .

EDIT: False alarm!

Someone from eetee answered me, and clarified that:
* eetee is shareware (hence the thre second timeout on the splash screen)
* the version available is a public beta version, the final v1.0 will include licensing (and other) information.
* only the "groups" core is proprietary and belongs to eetee Networks, the other stuff is considered plugins and can/do/will have their own license.
* they will explain all this in the README and on the website for the final version.

Comments, bug reports and questions are welcome.
Barkotron
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diezel wrote:

Yeah, AVG says the windows file has virus content too - w32/parite. This was identified while still in the .zip file. I have no way of telling if it's a false alarm either. Luckily I hadn't opened it yet. Sometimes it's a good thing that I only use Windows as a platform for Homeworld 2 :D .
professorn
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diezel wrote:

Cheers,

Diezel

I dont know somethin about this case, but Norton is buggy, some evil guy enterd a irc channel and posted a messege (when i was using Win) and when you open the log Noton thinks its a virus, mIRC lock the logs as default and a message box in both Norton and mIRC appears. mIRC says someony try to change the logfile, and Norton says it cant repair the virus because the logfile is locked. This cause an 'endless' loop and makes your life a hell =/
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: