DANM MY SYSTEM IS FAST!!!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedDawn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 1:38 am    Post subject: DANM MY SYSTEM IS FAST!!! Reply with quote

I was having prob with my Gentoo system and i decided to just leave it and go back to slackware!!! BUT I MISSED PORTAGE TO MUCH!! so i decided to make my system and take it to the MAX!!!!!!! i mean MAX!! so i tried flags iv'e never ever ever even hearod of but know but saw online and they said that their system was stable so i tried!!

this is what my CFLAGS look like

CFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -m3dnow -m3dnow -msse -mfpmath=sse -mmmx -O3 -fforce-addr -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -funroll-loops -frerun-cse-after-loop -frerun-loop-opt -falign-functions=4 -maccumulate-outgoing-args -ffast-math -fprefetch-loop-arrays"

and this is what my Use flags look like!!

USE="3dnow aalib acl acpi alsa apache2 apm arts avi berkdb bonobo cdr crypt cups curl dedicated dga directfb doc dvb dvd encode esd ethereal evo fastcgi fbcon flash foomaticdb freetds gb gd gdbm gif gphoto2 gpm gtk2 gtkhtml imap imlib innodb java jikes jpeg kde kerberos krb4 ladcca lcms ldap libwww mad maildir mbox mmx motif mozilla mpeg mpi mysql nas ncurses oggvorbis opengl oss pam pdflib perl png prelude python qt quicktime readline ruby samba sasl slang slp snmp spell sse ssl svga tcpd tiff truetype usb videos X Xaw3d xmms xv zlib x86"

and everything works without a glicth!!! althoug the CFLAGS were meant for a AMD2000+XP i figure ehh... same company same architechture so i used them.... KDE IS FAST A HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my comp boot atleast 20 secs faster although i have no clue what my use or cflags have to do with boot time and such!!!

man i love gentoo!!

edit: AMD1800+ 1.53Ghz..
512MB RAM PC133 OV 266
NVIDIA GEFORCE MX440
Yamaha Sound Card
6.5Gb MAster
240 GB Slave
RedBeard0531
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you think that was fast, try -Os!
ex0
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got an Athlon-XP 2000+, maybe I should try tthese flags :)
drakonite
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe... That's funny. Most of those flags are automatically used when you specify -march=athlon-xp and -O3 ... And the others can have a detrimental effect to performance.

In other words... Just a simple CFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -Os -pipe" will be just as fast, and probably make things faster.

My GPG/PGP Public key
RedDawn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 3:36 am    Post subject: Say what u want!! Reply with quote

All i know is that my computer just got a danm 50% boost in performance compared to othertimes i've installed Gentoo.. this being my 6 time!! so........i dont know!! all i know is that i LOVE IT!!!
MADcow
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
USE="3dnow enlightenment ethereal fb fbcon fbdev freetype \
     freetype-version-1 galeon glut gtk2 mail netkit-fingerd netkit-rsh \
     netkit-tftp nocardbus nowin nslookup nvidia offensive parse-clocks \
     radeon src sse type1 usb wavelan yp-tools -apm -arts -cups -kde \
     -gnome -quicktime -gdbm -berkdb -gpm"

Code:
CFLAGS="-march=athlon-mp -O3 -finline-functions -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -fforce-addr -funroll-loops -frerun-loop-opt -frerun-cse-after-loop -falign-functions=4 -fexpensive-optimizations -falign-jumps=4 -ffast-math -mmmx -msse -fprefetch-loop-arrays -mfpmath=sse"

no problems yet, and i'm on month 3 or so of those cflags.
and my system is faster ;)
:lol:
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Other Things Gentoo.
Retriever II
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think all those flags are just a placebo :D

When I started using Gentoo, I stuffed as many cflags in as I could - I've since simlpified them a bit. More stable that way.
Zeitgeist
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probaly don't even know what all those flags do or the things they break
darkie_
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

with a risk of sounding stupid, but when do you put these flags? is it when your compiling the kernel or when is it?

and what does the different flags mean? like this -03 that is directly after what processor you have?
zhenlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

-00, -01, -02, -03
Forces GCC to halt with a fatal error, immediately.

Of course CFLAGS are a placebo. But - when measured, they have a slight effect too.

I suppose it is the same kind of faith that religious people have in their scriptures - it is common sense that a system compiled using optimisations specific to your system will be faster, right?

(Religous discussion must go into the 'Christians on this board' thread)
Mystilleef
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to be cautious with which flags you use. As a rule, don't use flags for which you don't know it's function or effect. Many of them have catastrophic side effects.

"My logic is undeniable."
ed0n
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine is too prelinked system linux-2.6.0-test9 whoooahh am I flying?
ShockValue
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystilleef wrote:
You need to be cautious with which flags you use. As a rule, don't use flags for which you don't know it's function or effect. Many of them have catastrophic side effects.

This is true. I radically changed my flags the other day after reading some posts on this topic. Then i did a

Code:
emerge -eD world

and walked away. When I returned a day later, I had a completely b0rked and unusable system. After hours surfing the web and on #Gentoo, I gave up and started over. Lesson learned. Starting over with:

CFLAGS="-march=pentium4 -Os -pipe"
MOS-FET
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i was using -march=athlon-xp -O3 -pipe -mfpmath=sse,387 -mmmx -msse -m3dnow and a lot of other stuff all the time, but i've read trough a lot of posts in this forum and came to the conclusion that -Os would be better because a lot of people recommended it. well the thing of -Os is that it optimizes binaries for size, so programs get smaller, and it's always a good thing to have small programs because your harddisk is the slowest part of your PC. i don't believe that all the other optimizations make a _real_ difference. i'm sure benchmarks would do a little better, or e.g. encoding a movie would be a little faster, but i don't think your every-day-apps get considerably faster.

well i'm just compiling my whole system with -Os -pipe -mfpmath=sse,387 -mmmx -msse -m3dnow see how it goes.

tom
MOS-FET
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm another thought ... when you have a closer look at the compiling process, you'll see that some packages override your CFLAGS. it seems that a lot of background processes (e.g. alsa, the kernel, samba) us the -O2 flag. other apps that use a lot of CPU are compiled with -O3 (transcode, xine-lib ...) and the rest would just compile with your CFLAGS. so, from this i think -O2 seems to be a good compromise between speed & stability (samba needs to be fast, but stable as well), while -O3 is more agressive and thus a little faster (for xine-lib for example) but probably less stable. -Os optimizes for binary size and should be a good choice for every-day-apps, especially large every-day-apps like kde, openoffice etc because such apps usually don't need much CPU power or run-time-optimization, but they just take long to load.

well, just my thoughts ...

tom
Yossarian
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darkie_ wrote:
with a risk of sounding stupid, but when do you put these flags? is it when your compiling the kernel or when is it?

and what does the different flags mean? like this -03 that is directly after what processor you have?

You put the flags in your make.conf after CFLAGS=

Check out this link for an explanation of what different CFLAGS do.
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-3.2.3/gcc/Optimize-Options.html#Optimize%20Options
MOS-FET
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for that great link! uff so i've read this link and found out that some of my thoughts where just useless :-) well it says:

-O1 does some small optimization

-O2 does some more code-speed optimization, -fomit-frame-pointer is _not_ turned on _only_when_ this would prevent you from debugging, so if you don' t need debugging, add -fomit-frame-pointer

-O3 optimizes even more

-O0 (zero) no optimization

-Os this turns on all -O2 speed optimizations that don't result in a larger binary file, and it makes some extra size-optimizations

a VERY important sentence: if more than one "-O" is specified, the last one is the one that counts. so, for example, alsa compiles with -O2 as standard, plus the -Os that i've set in /etc/make.conf - so as the end result, it will compile with -Os.

tom
MADcow
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"You probaly don't even know what all those flags do or the things they break", ET AL.

guys, i think it's sort of mean to make fun of me for using a lot of flags. i know exactly what they do, so don't make fun of me for not knowing what they do, because i DO. i understand exactly what almost every optimization i use does. maybe they don't help much, but i have been doing it that way for months with no crashes, so just shut up.
i'm sorry if your rude comments were directed at the other guy, but it's probably the same for him. i have a feeling he wouldn't compile his apps with flags that he didn't understand, either.
MOS-FET
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm sure nobdoy wanted to be rude in this forum. well ok it may be that you know what each flag is doing, but i don't think this is enough. when you only read the description on the gcc page, there are so many "if's" and "when's" that you just can't know what a flag is exactly doing for a certain package. a flag that really speeds up one package may decrease the speed of another package, or it may be good to use a flag together with this flag, but not with another flag and so on. it's just damn complex i guess. i had A LOT of flags turned on, too, and my system never crashed, but for me i can just say that now that i've re-compiled almost everything with -Os my system "feels" faster than before because there's just much less app loading time, and i guess that's what counts the most on a desktop system (my opinion).

tom
MADcow
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea, mos-fet.
i'm sorry everyone. i was having a bad day and felt like yelling. no harm intended.
RedDawn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 7:30 pm    Post subject: of course i know wut all those flags mean!! Reply with quote

you gotta be kiddin me if you think ima spend a day and a half compiling my system when i know that it will crash or break sonner or later!! gosh if you guys/girls dont have anything nice to say "JUST DONT SAY SHIT" "sorry moderators" but gosh...... :evil:
Robin79
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What flag should i use for my P4 for maximum optimization?
PCI-E Nvidia Geforce PCX 5750
--------------------

Registered Linux User Nr # 319050 http://counter.li.org
professorn
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-march=pentium4 ?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: