Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
About Gentoo 1.4...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sulu wrote:
Now klieber, dont get angry with us "impatient-pain-in-the-neck-users". ;-)

I'm not angry, but I do think that most of the "whenwhenwhen" folks have no clue what is entailed with releasing a new version and how difficult it is to pin down a date. Furthermore, announcing a date only leads to disappointment when that date gets missed. (witness the number of pissed off posters when 12:01AM came around on 8/15 and 1.4 was nowhere to be seen)

sulu wrote:
And a tiny little announcement like
"Hi folks.
Due too problems with gcc-3.2 the 1.4 final is not to be expected before 30.09.2002!"
would be appreciated.

See my foolproof formula above. That will allow you to figure out the date on your own. Once you do, please share with the rest of the community.

--kurt
fmalabre
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

klieber wrote:
For anyone who wants to know Gentoo 1.4's release date, here is the definitive way to find out:
  • First, identify all the bugs in 1.4, including the ones that haven't been found yet. This should be very easy to do.
  • Next, triage those bugs to determine which ones are release critical.
  • Figure out what is causing those bugs in the first place. Again, this should take 5-10 minutes tops.
  • Figure out how many hours are needed from the dev team to solve those bugs.
  • Get a solid, unbreakable commitment from the entire dev staff on the amount of time they can contribute to Gentoo over the next few weeks. Never mind the fact that many of them are just starting school -- they obviously need to readjust their priorities.
  • Create a simple gantt chart to forecast the completion date
And viola! You have a guaranteed release date for 1.4. Sounds really easy, doesn't it?

--kurt

And for those who want to know the status of Gentoo 1.4, where could we find an answer to the first question, excluding the ones which have not been found yet?
Sorry, I'm not familiar with the Gentoo dev process. Is there an open bug list specific to Gentoo 1.4 (the ones which have been discovered)?

klieber, what do you think about a page on the Gentoo web site dealing with the next Gentoo release? I don't mean for Gentoo 1.4, but for the next ones?
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fmalabre wrote:
And for those who want to know the status of Gentoo 1.4, where could we find an answer to the first question, excluding the ones which have not been found yet?

All bugs are filed on bugs.gentoo.org, but I've never spent the time to figure out how to narrow down release-specific ones.

However, don't dismiss the bugs that haven't been found yet. Those are the ones that, more than anything else, delay release dates.

fmalabre wrote:
klieber, what do you think about a page on the Gentoo web site dealing with the next Gentoo release? I don't mean for Gentoo 1.4, but for the next ones?

I don't think it should have any dates on it, but I think it would be nice to have a feature chart that showed what features are planned for what releases.

--kurt
Ulot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a suggestion to lower the number of complaints:

Like klieber said, most users don't understand what it takes to make a release. All the moaning and groaning from the masses is from lack of information. Best bet would be to let people in on this info via a chart like the open-beos one. A vague look at the release cycle would be nice.

On the other hand, solid release dates are not that hard to setup. People/companies all over the world do it everyday and meet those dates. Most project management of software is sloppy. Even in this case saying "x number of weeks after the release of gcc 3.2" would be more than enough.

It wouldn't hurt to have a non-release date. If you tell everyone that it will not be released in a week, it doesn't hurt anything. Best case is that it is released within the week and everyone gets a suprise (yippie kay ya!). Worst case would be that it is not released, you were true to your word, and no one has any reason to be upset.

My guess is that no matter how much (or little) correct info, there will still be a complaint or two...

I'll take the "when its done" for now, but I'll be the first to complain once I start shelling out bucks for Gentoo. :)
ErikT
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. It's not that Gentoo 1.4 is not here yet, it's the total lack of information. It's actually quite annoying.

The soon-after-linuxworld-release-date, the weird .1.4-directory, the lack of real info and telling people to look at these speculation threads in the forum. How hard is it to write one or two sentences saying "Sorry, 1.4 is going to take a couple of more weeks at least"?

/Erik
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, 1.4 is going to take a couple of more weeks at least.

If you believe me you can't lose, just like Ulot said.
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ErikT wrote:
It's not that Gentoo 1.4 is not here yet, it's the total lack of information. It's actually quite annoying.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, the devs *have* communicated some information, both on the mailing list as well as IRC.

Would you rather the devs work on getting 1.4 ready for release, or hand-carry an announcement to your doorstep?

--kurt
splooge
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well since the install disc is pretty much a seperate entity than portage, and the only thing really different about the install disc is a few extra options to connect to the internet to get the install started (ppp, isdn) .. I see no reason to get so antsy over the 'official' release.

Simply, get the 1.2 install disc (If it works, you won't need the 1.4 disc I will *assume*) and instead of extracting the stage1 1.2 tarball, wget the stage1 1.4 tarball and extract it instead, then continue with the install as normal. Either way, whether you use the 1.1, 1.2, or 1.3a install iso, you can still get a fully functional system with a complete up to date portage tree. At that point, the install disc doesn't matter.

They also just released a new kernel patch for testing, release 9 of the gentoo-sources (Which works great for me), I imagine they're now trying to work that into the new iso's they're making. I assume that should take quite a bit of time, so be patient =)

I've found that they're (the developers) quite busy and constantly updating everything they can. Check out their changelog and watch that and see hwo they're coming along instead of asking "whenwhenwhen"

http://www.gentoo.org/index-changelog.html
hubick
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I myself never said anything about wanting a date. status != data

And klieber, I realize your system for figuring out the release was mostly tongue in cheek, but if the gentoo developers did follow that, it would never get released. I am a programmer, and I have been running Linux for a few months short of 10 years now, and I have a half decent notion that creating a distribution is a monumental undertaking. You could fix bugs forever, and never release. When you do decide to make a release though...you usually have some idea of what functionality you want it to have - once you have made your major architectural changes then it's just a matter of making that functionality mostly work for most people.

Now, in an ideal world, Gentoo would have status reports like this. Failing that, I would gladly settle for something like this.
See, other projects manage to do it.
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hubick wrote:
And klieber, I realize your system for figuring out the release was mostly tongue in cheek, but if the gentoo developers did follow that, it would never get released.

My system was utterly impossible to follow. That was the entire point -- it is not possible to nail down a release date, especially in a volunteer-driven Open Source project where you have no control over the amount of resources dedicated to a task.

hubick wrote:
Now, in an ideal world, Gentoo would have status reports like this. Failing that, I would gladly settle for something like this.
See, other projects manage to do it.

So, does that mean you're volunteering to track that data for Gentoo? Send drobbins an email and volunteer for the job. Me, I'd rather the devs spent time fixing bugs than posting status updates. My 1.2 system works just fine -- I can wait patiently until 1.4 gets released. There's not a whole lot of yumminess in 1.4, anyway, aside from the major upgrade to GCC 3.2.

--kurt
markyd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 12:41 am    Post subject: Differences in 1.4 Reply with quote

So if I maybe so bold as to ask, what exactly is the difference between 1.2 and 1.4?

Does gentoo 1.2 + gcc 3.2 = gentoo 1.4? Or is there something else in the mix?

I guess what I'm asking is:
If I install gentoo 1.4beta on my system will there be any difference between it and a system 1.4 final system. "emerge world" pending..

In other words are the remaining features/bugs related to an easier install cd? Or do they have a more system design nature to them. eg the way emerge works.....

Most experienced gentoo users would be happy to install the 1.4beta tarball if all that the final cd offers is an easier install. In this way we'd all keep quiet.

PS I can relate to the pressures that the developers are facing with the release of gentoo. Managing an open source project myself, I understand how hard it is to get everyone to commit to a date. All we are asking is for a little info.. (well more than 1.4 is coming...)
konstk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are people waiting for 1.4?

Just use the 1.4 tarballs in the hidden /1.4 directory.

What's the difference between that and 1.4 anyway.
fmalabre
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

konstk wrote:
What's the difference between that and 1.4 anyway.

This is what most of the people are asking.

If there is no difference, you are absolutly right, just use the tarball.
If not, then you will have to go through the install process again...
markyd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that is as they say the million dollar question......?

Could one of the developers answer this? I'm sure we'd all appreciate it.
TuxFriend
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ErikT wrote:
I agree. It's not that Gentoo 1.4 is not here yet, it's the total lack of information. It's actually quite annoying.

There is information available.

TuxFriend

http://www.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/gentoo-src/release/
yokem55
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is important to emphasize that this is Gentoo's biggest and most important update since the 1.0 release. As Gentoo's popularity has grown over the past months, the importance of making sure that the 1.4 release goes smoothly and without any bumps or bruises has also grown. You can bet that come the announcement there will be a big Slashdot thread and this place will be flooded with people trying Gentoo for the first time, not to mention that the package and rsync mirrors are going to be loaded. All this means that even though the software may be 99.999% ready to roll, everything else that is necessary to make the release a successful one (mirrors, updated docs, updated iso's and tarballs, etc) still take a lot of time to get put together and debug.
konstk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yokem55 wrote:
I think it is important to emphasize that this is Gentoo's biggest and most important update since the 1.0 release. As Gentoo's popularity has grown over the past months, the importance of making sure that the 1.4 release goes smoothly and without any bumps or bruises has also grown. You can bet that come the announcement there will be a big Slashdot thread and this place will be flooded with people trying Gentoo for the first time, not to mention that the package and rsync mirrors are going to be loaded. All this means that even though the software may be 99.999% ready to roll, everything else that is necessary to make the release a successful one (mirrors, updated docs, updated iso's and tarballs, etc) still take a lot of time to get put together and debug.

Well I agree that it would help newbies and others looking at gentoo alot. They would be looking at how stable gentoo is and how it can help with their project/bussiness/company by how up to date it is, etc...

regarding that point it ios important to knwo about 1.4
fmalabre
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TuxFriend wrote:

This is the best information I never had about Gentoo 1.4.
Wonder why nobody gave us this link before.
It's exactly what I wanted to see.

The problem is there is nowhere an explanation about the directory tree with all this kind of information.

Thanks TuxFriend!
Milez
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 10:03 pm    Post subject: Info of 1.4 Reply with quote

fmalabre wrote:
This is the best information I never had about Gentoo 1.4.
Wonder why nobody gave us this link before.
It's exactly what I wanted to see.

The problem is there is nowhere an explanation about the directory tree with all this kind of information.

Yeah, they really ought to put a link to this on the main page. Still, I can understand being too busy even to do little things when working on a milestone release of a great product.

-=Miles=-
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Add news item to site, post to gentoo-announce
Found here. There will be an announcement when 1.4 is released. In the meantime, why not break something and fix it? ;)
markyd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 4:39 am    Post subject: Right then.... Reply with quote

So from what I understand then.. All that the final iso has to offer us is a nicer install (vi etc)...

So we can all (the impatient ones) install gentoo 1.4 now. Providing that the hidden directory is the current build that the above link refers to.
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Right then.... Reply with quote

markyd wrote:
So we can all (the impatient ones) install gentoo 1.4 now.

Sure -- go for it. However, things are still in "beta" stage, so officially, there's no guarantee that the final version will be compatible with the version you install. Chances are it will be, but it's not assured until it's released.

I just installed the .1.4 version on my firewall last night and it seems to be working great. YMMV.

--kurt
phong
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record, .1.4 is running on my main system and has given me fewer troubles (none) than other gcc 3.x versions. Also, has anyone else noticed the very new 1.4_rc1 version on ibiblio? I'm guinea pigging a system at work with it right at this moment...
kyron
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't get what all the fuss is about... I installed Gentoo a few weeks ago with the 1.2 package (never looked back at Mandrake since!! :-) ) I followed Spyder's recommendations to go from GCC 2.95.3 to 3.2, success (though I wouldn't have snobbed the scripts that came later on).

As far as I can tell, with all the regular "emerge -u world" and "qpkg -ui -l| xargs emerge -u" that I have been performing, I figure my system is pretty much up to date with the latest gizmos out there....

Hell! I even had to change my /etc/make.prefs so that it would now point to the 1.4 profile (2.0 dissapeared...figured it out after 3-4 emerge rsync :oops: ).

And having read the above mentionned post, I see that all the new "bells and whistles" are in the installation process...woopdy doo...I am already running Gentoo so why such a fuss!? Is there something I missed... will I be missing some super-duper-incredible features if I don't go through the tarball installation (I think not...)

N e wayz, I'm just hapy they put vi in the install CD :D, somehow prefer this to nano....don't know about pppoe support though...
Chris Hickman
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TuxFriend wrote:
ErikT wrote:

There is information available.

TuxFriend

This page hasn't been updated since the day after TuxFriend posted it. Perhaps the developers don't want the general public reading the happenings for 1.4? :)

Chris
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: