problems when recording sound
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sven
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 11:27 am    Post subject: problems when recording sound Reply with quote

Recording sound from Line In does not work properly on my Gentoo Linux :cry: There are always sound pops, crackles and jumps in the record. I have an on-board VIA8233 (AC97) sound chip on my Epox 8KHAL mainboard. Playing sound works fine with ALSA 0.9.0. I tried to record sound with Audacity and KRecord. Both produce broken records so I think it's an application independent problem. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
sven
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 2:26 pm    Post subject: no one? Reply with quote

No one here who had or has the same problem? :cry:
Robert
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do a fair amount of Audio work using Gentoo. I have had issues recording with Audacity, so now I only record from the command line. I should also mention that I use OSS pro, not ALSA. OSS Pro comes with a 'record' utility. Alsa probably has something similar. If not you can use ecasound or something like that. Since most linux users seem not to do much audio stuff other than ripping cds, mp3s and ogg, this probably is not the best audience for your question.

For a better source for help try the linux-audio-user mailing list: http://music.columbia.edu/mailman/listinfo/linux-audio-user/
...and be sure to read through: http://www.boosthardware.com/LAU/guide/Low_latency-Mini-HOWTO.html
sven
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I am not using the low latency or preempt patch with my gentoo 2.4.19-r7 kernel... Thanks anyway!
sven
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, the problem seems to be fixed now. I compiled low latency into the kernel but I'm not sure if this was the solution. Seems like the XMMS alsa output plugin was the fault. I had to kill artsd before recording with Audacity and afterwards I checked the records with this output plugin because I was too lazy to re-enable arts ;) When listening to the recorded wave file through arts output plugin everything sounds nice, no crackles, no pops!
Robert
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO employment of the Preempt or Low Latency kernel is just about essential for audio work in Linux ;)
sven
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I use the XFS file system so I always get these annoying "exited with preempt count ..." messages when using the preemtible patch and I did not find a clean and nice way here how to get rid of them except for editing a .c file from the linux source which I don't want to do.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: