Booting Gentoo Min. Install from a USB [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chromace
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:21 am    Post subject: Booting Gentoo Min. Install from a USB [SOLVED] Reply with quote

Hi! :D
So I'm trying to install Gentoo (redundant I know), but as it stands, I don't have a disk drive and so have to resort to using a USB with my laptop. After following the LIVEUSB/HOWTO on the Gentoo wiki, and booting into it through BIOS (with 'gentoo doscsi slowusb'), I come to this problem, after selecting the keymap:
Quote:
Keeping default keymap
Making tmpfs for /newroot
Looking for the cdrom
Attempting to mount media: /dev/sda1
" " /sda2
" " /sda3
" " /sda4
" " /sda5
" " /sda1
" " /sda2
" " /sda3
" " /sda4
" " /sda5
Media not found
No bootable medium found. Waiting for new devices...
Looking for the cdrom
* Attempts to mount every partition on sda again *
Media not found
Could not find CD to boot, something else needed!
Determining root device...
Could not find the root block device in .
Forum research (https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-7183764.html) has revealed that the kernel isn't detecting the bootable USB (or something like that). From what little I know about Linux, the USB would be in another partition table, maybe sdb, but how to make the USB search for it as well I have no idea. I'm assuming that if the LiveUSB is able to do this, it'll mount the system and then I'll be able to continue the installation process. If it's alright, could someone a little more enlightened than me lend a hand? Thank-you!

And if there's any more information that I need to supply I'll be glad to divulge it (as long as my life secrets aren't compromised :wink: ).

Last edited by Chromace on Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chromace,

Welcome to Gentoo.

The LiveCD is fairly basic and its not required to install Gentoo as none of its code goes into your install.
Instead, it provides a few tools that are needed to accomplish the install.
You can use any Linux you can boot to install Gentoo.

These days, I use System Rescue CD as it will give you a GUI if you want.
This means you can join IRC, post on the forums and read the handbook online. It also supports WiFi.

Take care to boot a 64 bit kernel if you want a 64 bit install.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Chromace
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank-you for your reply Admin! Downloading SystemRescueCd now! Hopefully this will solve the problem of not being able to boot into a workable environment. I will report my success (or lack thereof) once I have the time to try it out. Thanks! :D
Chromace
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news! :D
After creating a SystemRescueCd LiveUSB using the said website's Windows instructions, I am able to boot into it. However, it was not without hiccups. Like the Gentoo Minimal Install disk, it too did not detect itself after booting (that is to say, after selecting the keymap, it attempted to mount everything in sda, but not sdb, where the USB was). The solution was rather simple, so I'm quietly hitting myself. Before proceeding past the keymap selection, I unplugged and replugged in the LiveUSB, and this time around, it detected it! I assume that this was the problem that I encountered when I attempted to use the Minimal Install disk (the way it proceeded was exactly the same, except with more retries). Hopefully this will help other potential Gentoo users without CD drives.

Summary: To solve the problem of the LiveUSB system not mounting said device, unplug and replug it, after the RAM disk is loaded but before selecting the keymap options. And if using the Min. Install disk, don't forget to use the doscsi option after 'gentoo'.

Now to proceed onto the hard part: actually installing Gentoo. Cheers!

Oh, and how might I mark this topic as solved? Thank-you! (Nevermind, found out already)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: