How to get 'rip' to respect punctuation in file names
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr Croubie
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:03 pm    Post subject: How to get 'rip' to respect punctuation in file names Reply with quote

So now that I've got a set of speakers on my PC again, I'm finally getting around to ripping my few hundred CDs, using 'rip' with the following command:
> rip -f "%A - %T - %N - %S" -wvncep

And this problem is just getting freaking annoying. I get the track names from cddb (-c), and then usually have to rename them (because people who upload to cddb make a lot of typos imho so far).

Once I've renamed them, including proper punctuation, the files get ripped and all the punctuation gets left out. Things like ',.()<>[] and pretty much anything that's not a latin ascii character.
You can even see that rip is renaming them on purpose (I took screenshots but there's no 'attach image' thingy here so I'll copy the text of the CD I'm up to:

Code:
Track  8: She's So D*mn Cool        (Shes So Dmn Cool.wav)
etc
Are these the right names (Y/n)?  y
Make sure the CD is in the tray and hit <ENTER>.

(a while later)
Now ripping CD track 8 to wav... 
DEBUG: /usr/bin/cdparanoia   -d /dev/cdrom -z3  -v    8 "rip_temp_file.13703" &&  mv "rip_temp_file.13703" "/mnt/Music/Felix Da Housecat/Felix Da Housecat - Devin Dazzle  The Neon Fever - 08 - Shes So Dmn Cool.wav"
cdparanoia III release 10.2 (September 11, 2008)

Using cdda library version: 10.2
Using paranoia library version: 10.2
Checking /dev/cdrom for cdrom...
        Testing /dev/cdrom for SCSI/MMC interface                SG_IO device: /dev/sr0

So not only is it leave out the apostrophe in "She's", it's leaving out the * in "D*mn", and most annoyingly (because I have to rename every track on the album), it's leaving out the & in "Dazzle & The Neon".
It even leaves out any extra periods, a lot of tracks have "..." in them, and brackets for remix names etc. Don't even think about what it did to the track names of my Hemophiliac CD.
This is really getting tiresome, especially when the album or artist has punctuation (I have a lot from "Mr. Oizo", "Mr. Scruff", "Mr. Bungle", "Fun Lovin' Criminals" and god knows how many others) and I have to rename every single damn track after ripping.

So does anyone know a workaround for this? Or a program that might be a good alternative that actually respects punctuation?
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
... Or a program that might be a good alternative that actually respects punctuation?

abcde?

I'm the opposite - I don't care about filenames and distinctly remember having to run detox over them last time I used that, so it might be what you want.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: