Help! My system blew up!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trythil
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 11:22 pm    Post subject: Help! My system blew up! Reply with quote

For some reason, out of nowhere, I am now unable to:

(1) Emerge anything. Portage itself isn't broken, but configure scripts segfault (?!) and thus I can't DO anything.

Example (it's different every time, but it's similar to this):

Code:

checking for ranlib... (cached) ranlib
checking for Cygwin environment... (cached) no
checking for mingw32 environment... (cached) no
checking how to run the C++ preprocessor... (cached) c++ -E
./configure: line 1311:  4782 Segmentation fault      ${CONFIG_SHELL-/bin/sh} $ac_config_sub sun4 >/dev/null 2>&1
configure: error: can not run ./config.sub

(2) man is broken. Entirely. It doesn't segfault, but it refuses to READ anything. All I get is a blank screen:

Code:

trythil@lothlann trythil $ man select
[END]

(3) ldd is broken. It just segfaults.

As I do a lot of development, this isn't good. It's almost as if the Gods Of Proprietary Software came down and said "You are using Free Software and Open Source Tools; hence, thy name and thy system shalt be smote upon the earth."

I can't think of anything that might be causing this. Bash might have decayed (don't ask me how), but that doesn't account for ldd breaking. My support libraries are still intact; I'm writing this from KDE. The only somewhat-plausible explanations are a power surge (which would have probably destroyed a lot more) or heat damage (which doesn't seem to make sense as I installed a new heatsink + fan a few weeks ago).

edit: I should also add that it now takes an abnormally long time at boot-up to detect the two drives that are on the UDMA/100 bus. I don't think they're failing, though (at least I hope they aren't, I've got 100 gigs of data shared between them!)

Any ideas?
trythil
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm staring at a temperature/voltage report from my system, and all looks good: the CPU temperature is 55 C, where it's always been, and voltage levels are all nominal.

So those, thankfully, aren't it. On second reboot drive-detection went a bit faster, so I suppose the drives are still OK.

But it's still broken. Bah.
Cmor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like you should (ugh) start fresh and redo the install and see if it crashes again.......perhaps the normal kernel sources instead of the l33t hax0r gentoo sources might help. Just went thru 3 install tries to make everything work right myself :)
trythil
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I built zsh on my other Gentoo machine (which wasn't suffering from any of these problems), copied over the binary to this box, re-linked sh -> zsh, and boom, everything started to work again.

No, I have no clue what the hell ldd has to do with sh, but whatever.

So I re-emerged bash, emerged zsh to ensure that this wouldn't happen again, and everything's working now.

Bleh. Only thing that comes to mind now is that somehow, somewhere, an XFS recovery fubared /bin/bash -- I've had journaling filesystems, from EXT3 to ReiserFS to XFS, do such things on me every now and then.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: