Build new system, advice on what to avoid for gentoo install
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cyberman.ff
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:21 am    Post subject: Build new system, advice on what to avoid for gentoo install Reply with quote

I was about to build yet another system and again install gentoo. Bleeding edge components seemed to be my primary problem last time.

However THIS time I am going to ask questions first.

I had a few unexpected surprises last time. So I would like to prevent that ... muchly :D
As I don't have a few weeks of spare time these days. A few days of work is all right.

I have a working system (sort of) now.

Hopefully this doesn't sound too much like rambling

However here are the fun questions
1 I plan on an 8core AM3+ processor any issues with the latest greatest?
2: mother board, I'm considering going with a ASUS this time, kind of was surprised by their MB bios changes. Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 AM3+ experience anyone?
3: memory shouldn't be an issue 32G 1866mhz DDR3 (I'll use what the manufacture says works)
4: Any issues with large 4T drives and new installls? WD40EZRX was what I was planning on using.
I noticed Grub 2 is still a pain (LOL) to handle I always seem to get it wrong the first time. How upto date are the docs in comparison to gentoo installation?
I found that was hard to figure out what path too follow to install grub2 et al correctly. What is the path of least pain for the install sequence?
5: video I was looking at Asus Radeon R9 290X with the R9290X I would like to have the 3d functioning this time (with the NVIDIA based card I used last time I never got it working)
The catalyst drivers (14.12) I couldn't find the chipset support for the linux drivers so I'm a bit freaked out. NVIDIA's drivers nearly killed my last system could not get them to install. I'm pretty sure I did something wrong but what I could never figure out and I just kept things as is.
6: standard SATA DVD RW I plan on getting 1 of those and maybe a blue ray later. not a big deal (or shouldn't be at least)

What is the CLEANEST way to install the bootloader? GRUB ... was a bit of a pain GRUB 2 last I used it was a bigger pain (still didn't get it too boot right darn it).

I noticed HP is no longer supporting light scribe, anyone know if the last 'drivers' which are 32bit are it. Anyone here of plans for open sourcing them? I kind of liked light scribe BUT the drivers were kind of 'slugish under windows. Haven't used it in a few years but have disks etc. Anyhow ...

I hope to use some power management abilities in my desktop, should would be quieter :D

Advice would be appreciated The last system I have still works but as I said the video was always a bit borked and wine whined a lot because of that. It worked but always in software rendering (which could be annoying at 1080P on 2 displays). Thanks in advance I always appreciate prevention of "unexpected results" :D Anyhow I want less struggle this time and more developement time (which is what I like to do).

Stephen
WWWW
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFI bootloader the easiest of them all.
bammbamm808
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Build new system, advice on what to avoid for gentoo ins Reply with quote

Cyberman.ff wrote:
1 I plan on an 8core AM3+ processor any issues with the latest greatest?

The 770 - 990 chipsets are well supported in the kernel

Cyberman.ff wrote:
2: mother board, I'm considering going with a ASUS this time, kind of was surprised by their MB bios changes. Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 AM3+ experience anyone?

I like Asus myself, particularly their real UEFI implementation. The interface for same is great.

Cyberman.ff wrote:
4: Any issues with large 4T drives and new installls? WD40EZRX was what I was planning on using.

Shouldn't be a problem.

Cyberman.ff wrote:
I noticed Grub 2 is still a pain (LOL) to handle I always seem to get it wrong the first time. How upto date are the docs in comparison to gentoo installation? I found that was hard to figure out what path too follow to install grub2 et al correctly. What is the path of least pain for the install sequence?

I don't use Grub at all. rEFInd to efistub kernels works great. One less layer.

Cyberman.ff wrote:
5: video I was looking at Asus Radeon R9 290X with the R9290X I would like to have the 3d functioning this time (with the NVIDIA based card I used last time I never got it working)
The catalyst drivers (14.12) I couldn't find the chipset support for the linux drivers so I'm a bit freaked out. NVIDIA's drivers nearly killed my last system could not get them to install. I'm pretty sure I did something wrong but what I could never figure out and I just kept things as is.

Have been through a dozen or so Nvidia cards the last 13 years in linux, and they've all worked perfectly using the proprietary Nvidia drivers. Have heard of far more difficulty with AMD/ATI in linux. Suggest Nvidia and correct install and setup.

Cyberman.ff wrote:
What is the CLEANEST way to install the bootloader? GRUB ... was a bit of a pain GRUB 2 last I used it was a bigger pain (still didn't get it too boot right darn it).

you can use rEFInd to boot efistub kernels and Windows, no need for bootloader. If only booting linux, use your motherboard's firmware to call kernels directly.

My next build, I'm going Intel, personally. It's been 3 or so years, and I'm getting that "must buy hardware" feeling.
Geforce RTX 2070S 8GB
Samsung m.2 NVME pcie-3.0
Etc....
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there are always surprises when you install a new box with new hardware.

if you buy very new hardware you will have maybe for a few months not the best linux support.

I won t ever buy any amd / ati card again. Issues in windows 7 and linux. but thats a personal note.

hardware wise what i read is nvidia gpus and intel cpus the best for your bucks and less hassle free.

grub 2 works as it should, but when you use windows i have no idea as i gave up windows ages ago, i am one of the few who used vista for 3 days, never windows 7,... 8 ...

it depends on your use case scenario. so you have to consider that in the first place ..
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyberman.ff,

4: Any issues with large 4T drives and new installls?
No.

WD40EZRX was what I was planning on using.
WD Greens ... don't even think about it.
The reliability is poor and green==slow.
All that shiney new hardware cries out for a SSD, even if /home is on rotating rust.

I would use grub-legacy os a boot loader, or UEFI with no boot loader.
The kernel can be built as a UEFI compliant program

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a 1TB WD Green. It *is* slow, but as long as you remember to set the "green idle mode" timeout to something sane (30 seconds instead of the default 8, IIRC hdparm has a switch specially for this) there shouldn't be a reliability problem. I've been using this one for 5½ years now...
grot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFI 'is usually' really easy. However, on my ASUS laptop, I had an issue where efibootmgr could never read the efivars/efivarfs. I tried installing from boot media from various distros - I could list the vars, but efibootmgr could never see them. (grub2 implements efibootmgr). Oh, and every Gummiboot menu freezes if you press a button - but the default selection will load (luckily for Arch)

I ended up installing void linux, then booting that and installing gentoo on a different partition. Aside from that, this notebook has great EFI support, so I imagine most ASUS's do. Apparently some systems can "only" boot from /EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi, but this one has a little file browser that lets me select any .efi from any EFI-partition labeled disk. (point being, look into how well your mobo brand supports efi. my particular asus mobo has incredible efi support - except for that one glitch)

Funtoo does stuff with optimizing for specific processor architectures. If you really want to optimize, I would look there.

I would strongly recommend getting an SSD. I have one from crucial which is designed for better data recovery. Compile/boot/suspend/launch times can literally be 5x faster. Ofc, I don't know what your data needs are.. but I'm a heavy data user, with a crummy internet connection, and I would still take a (highly-rated-on-newegg) 128 GB SSD over a 4TB drive.. Although I copy/paste/delete/compile/clear my development database constantly, and not having to wait for commands to finish executing has just been a huge relief in my life.
Cyberman.ff
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:57 pm    Post subject: Opps (belated reply) Reply with quote

I apologize I have been "detained" lately.
Thanks I've noticed the offering in terms of performance package related things from AMD has continuously regressed.

UEFI I hadn't thought of because I have always used a bootloader.
Direct booting does have its advantages and I am not dual booting so that is a non issue. I could fix this systems boot oddness if I do that as well.
I have been looking over Sakaki's list in the wiki so that should help. I wish I had realized I could do that last year (when I was installing a different persons system). Duh. Heck I started with LILO so I suppose that about sums up things (eons ago).

Anyhow Hmmm ATI/AMD hardware support is too bad. Not sure what is up with that however I'm not in their shoes and I don't know how they manage things.

Hard drive wise not sure how much hard drive hashing I'll have with 32G of memory. Of course if I run gnome for the Windown manager that would be a different matter. (mutter) Anyhow perhaps I found the seagate 1,5 STA ones I had were not terribly power efficient and lastly they didn't seem to be reliable compared too all the WD green's I've been using the last 8 years. Hence why not 2 greens? 1 green unit with adjusted settings and higher performance drive might do the trick.
I appreciate you taking the time to give some insite.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: