Install MBR only for grub2?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheLexx
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:35 pm    Post subject: Install MBR only for grub2? Reply with quote

Is there a way to tell grub2 to only install MBR without copping/modifying files in the grub directory?

I had a custom grub 2 system installed on my backup computer using a separate boot partition. In this system I did not use the grub 2 system to create the grub.cfg file, I wrote it myself. The system has different Gentoo installations/partitions for desktop mode and for emulating a text based server and other installations. I had grub setup for my custom boot.

My problem now is that the main hard drive for my backup computer started acting up and S.M.A.R.T. indicated possible drive failure. So naturally I replaced the HD and copied all partitions to the new HD, including the grub/boot partition. The new HD does not have a MBR, so it will not boot on it's own. Now with the old HD removed, I have to use a GRUB CD to kick-start the booting process.

I tried reading the docs for Grub, but there are so many scripts that come with Grub I can't seam to locate the script/flags that only write to the MBR, and not screw with the grub directory. I think I solved this problem for a past HD upgrade, but I can't remember what I did.
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

make a backup copy of /boot/grub
emerge grub2
install grub2
if grub.cfg was your only unique handcrafted file it should be untouched, and you have a backup just in case
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: