Audio woes with Creative SoundCore 3D and Turtle beach Z300
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vorell
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:13 pm    Post subject: Audio woes with Creative SoundCore 3D and Turtle beach Z300 Reply with quote

I thought I could chug through this issue on my own, but after two days of banging my head and google queries against this issue I am unable to resolve it on my own. So I'm hoping someone with more audio expertise could give me some pointers.

There are two audio devices which I am wanting to configure for use but I am unable to find much documentation on, especially on Gentoo.

I don't know if this information will be helpful but I am just trying to be as thorough as possible:
Code:

Motherboard / Case: ASRock M8
CPU: i7-4770k
USB Audio Device: Turtle Beach Z300

So here is what information I have gathered so far, all of which is based on previous kernels so it may or may not be accurate:

Creative SoundCore 3d as far as I know is based on a CA0132 chipset. I checked on creative's spec pages but they were more of an advert for manufacturers than anything really useful, so this assumption may be incorrect as its based on what I could find with google searches.

From what I read audio is possible to get going on the device using a modified version of snd-hda-intel (something about a 4k restriction, etc...)
I know these devices work under linux because up until recently I was using debian and they worked with zero issues.

First here are my lspci | grep Audio results:

Code:

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset High Definition Audio Controller (rev 05)
01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GK110 HDMI Audio (rev a1)

This seems to confirm the snd-hda-intel theory.

A friend advised me to go minimalistic when compiling kernel audio options because they can conflict and create issues. So I added only what I thought was support for my chipsets and if I wasn't certain about a module I added it with the M flag under nconfig.

Here's the results of lsmod:
Code:

Module                  Size  Used by
snd_cs4281             12139  0
snd_ac97_codec         99405  1 snd_cs4281
ac97_bus                1126  1 snd_ac97_codec
snd_opl3_lib            6918  1 snd_cs4281
snd_rawmidi            15394  1 snd_cs4281
snd_hda_codec_ca0132    17559  0
btrfs                 736344  2
xor                     9849  1 btrfs
zlib_deflate           17366  1 btrfs
nvidia               8364827  48
raid6_pq               89031  1 btrfs
x86_pkg_temp_thermal     4312  0
e1000e                195039  0

and the results of the gentoo handbook find command for listing available kernel modules (only listing /sound/ modules):
Code:

/lib/modules/3.17.7-gentoo/kernel/sound/ac97_bus.ko
/lib/modules/3.17.7-gentoo/kernel/sound/core/seq/snd-seq-midi-emul.ko
/lib/modules/3.17.7-gentoo/kernel/sound/core/seq/snd-seq-midi.ko
/lib/modules/3.17.7-gentoo/kernel/sound/core/snd-rawmidi.ko
/lib/modules/3.17.7-gentoo/kernel/sound/drivers/mpu401/snd-mpu401-uart.ko
/lib/modules/3.17.7-gentoo/kernel/sound/drivers/opl3/snd-opl3-lib.ko
/lib/modules/3.17.7-gentoo/kernel/sound/drivers/opl3/snd-opl3-synth.ko
/lib/modules/3.17.7-gentoo/kernel/sound/pci/ac97/snd-ac97-codec.ko
/lib/modules/3.17.7-gentoo/kernel/sound/pci/cs46xx/snd-cs46xx.ko
/lib/modules/3.17.7-gentoo/kernel/sound/pci/hda/snd-hda-codec-ca0132.ko
/lib/modules/3.17.7-gentoo/kernel/sound/pci/hda/snd-hda-codec-generic.ko
/lib/modules/3.17.7-gentoo/kernel/sound/pci/oxygen/snd-oxygen-lib.ko
/lib/modules/3.17.7-gentoo/kernel/sound/pci/oxygen/snd-oxygen.ko
/lib/modules/3.17.7-gentoo/kernel/sound/pci/snd-cmipci.ko
/lib/modules/3.17.7-gentoo/kernel/sound/pci/snd-cs4281.ko

The cirrus audio module is loaded because from what I could tell turtle beach headphones use cirrus logic chipsets. I seem to recall it being loaded as a c-media device under Debian though, can't remember for certain.

I tried following the directions under ALSA in the gentoo wiki / handbook but I encounter the following issues:
alsamixer results:
Code:

This sound device does not have any controls.

aplay -l results: (Note that on my previous install attempt a few days ago I was able to get my devices listed in aplay but alsamixer kept reporting no controls)
Code:

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****       

Here are the results of dmesg | grep audio:
Code:

[    1.885085] sound hdaudioC0D0: No codec parser is available
[    1.967339] sound hdaudioC1D0: No codec parser is available

and dmesg | grep error:
Code:

[    3.055476] input: failed to attach handler kbd to device input11, error: -16
[    3.061466] sysrq: Failed to open input device, error -16
[    3.067482] input: failed to attach handler sysrq to device input11, error: -16

and finally here are the results of speaker-test:
Code:

speaker-test -t wav -c 2                                                                                                                                       

speaker-test 1.0.28                                                                                                                                                             

Playback device is default
Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 2 channels
WAV file(s)
ALSA lib /var/tmp/portage/media-libs/alsa-lib-1.0.28/work/alsa-lib-1.0.28/src/pcm/pcm_dmix.c:1022:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
Playback open error: -2,No such file or directory

Once again any and all advice is appreciated. I'm not a stranger to the linux shell but I am new to having my hands on the kernel, so please include at least the base of the commands you want me to run if further command output is requested.
example: "list your installed audio kernel modules" vs "use lsmod to post your installed audio modules"

Thanks
Keruskerfuerst
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What error occurs, when you play music from the internet (e.g. surfmusik.de or any other internet music)? You may use a player like vlc.
The error in dmesg looks like it comes from the input devices like keyboard and mouse.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: