[solved] USB input devices problem
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jezaustin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject: [solved] USB input devices problem Reply with quote

Hi,
Did an update yesterday and a reboot this morning, and this morning I find that my USB mouse is intermittently unresponsive. Seems like after approx. 2s inactivity, the mouse pointer freezes (I can wake it up again by pressing a mouse-button).

Also, it seems my keyboard (also USB) is similarly affected -- the first keypress after approx. 2s pause is not registered, except to wake up the keyboard to subsequent keypresses (after another delay, so in practice more than one character gets lost). So the system is usable (I'm typing this post with it), but it's pretty annoying!

So I guess it's something at the usb level. I can see through 'cat' that that the mouse movements are not reaching /dev/input/mouse0.

Code:
$ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 004: ID 046d:c016 Logitech, Inc. Optical Wheel Mouse
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 04f2:0116 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd KU-2971/KU-0325 Keyboard
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

I've experimented with udev rules, but I'm pretty ignorant of them. I've added
Code:
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="046d", ATTR{idProduct}=="c016", ATTR{power/control}="on"

to /etc/udev/rules.d/99-mouse-stay-alive.rules, but that hasn't worked.

Anyone recognise this issue?
Thanks, Jez.
jezaustin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Following the advice at https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-7236546.html, I rebuilt the kernel, ensuring the options "Root Hub Transaction Translators" and "Improved Transaction Translator scheduling" options (under "EHCI HCD (USB 2.0) support") were enabled, while the OHCI HCD and UHCI HCD options were disabled.

This seems to have worked!

ta, Jez.
Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having the same problem but enabling those kernel option didn't solve it for me. https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1008002-highlight-.html

Can you just confirm that this problem started after doing an update? I noticed it after a world update and my kernel config hasn't changed for some time so feel like even though these kernel options may be necessary something definitely came down in an update that caused the problem.
jezaustin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
It was after an update, in fact I'd updated more than once since the last reboot.

In fact, after booting up this morning I had the problem again (just the mouse, the kbd was fine). I noticed that the XHCI (USB 3) module was loaded, so I reconfigured without XHCI and rebooted, and it works again. So I won't say it's fixed, but I'm not going to reboot again just to test it. There might be some sort of race condition in the boot process? As far as I can tell only the USB driver I want (EHCI) is available, so I do expect it to be fixed now.

Here's a few more of my kernel options, in case they help:
Code:
$ grep '[XEOU]HCI' /usr/src/linux/.config
CONFIG_USB_OHCI_LITTLE_ENDIAN=y
# CONFIG_USB_XHCI_HCD is not set
CONFIG_USB_EHCI_HCD=y
CONFIG_USB_EHCI_ROOT_HUB_TT=y
CONFIG_USB_EHCI_TT_NEWSCHED=y
CONFIG_USB_EHCI_PCI=y
# CONFIG_USB_EHCI_HCD_PLATFORM is not set
# CONFIG_USB_OHCI_HCD is not set
# CONFIG_USB_UHCI_HCD is not set
# CONFIG_PROVIDE_OHCI1394_DMA_INIT is not set

although it does look like yours is a different problem: I haven't had to mess around with the cables, just a mouse click unfreezes the mouse pointer in my case. Here's what I'd do:
1) try different USB sockets, if your computer has more than one. It might be that one of them "just works".
2) does it work when you boot with a rescue CD or USB stick? (eg. Gentoo install image). If it does, compare the logs and work from there.
3) try reconfiguring the kernel as I have, removing all the non-EHCI options
4) look through the udev rules (/lib/udev/rules.d and /etc/udev/rules.d) and see if any of them might be interfering.

Good luck!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: