dar backup query
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flatmodel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:29 pm    Post subject: dar backup query Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm playing with dar with the objective of getting it to be my standard backup tool.

The systems I propose to use dar on are all LVM based systems, which means that I can use snapshot logical volumes to create a "frozen" file system. I realise that this is not essential for using dar, but it does create a bit of a predicament...

Suppose I have a file system mounted on /mnt/snapshot, and this is in fact a duplicate of my accustomed root file system [ / ]. It appears that dar insists on saving everything relative to the actual (real) root, rather than relative to the working directory ( /mnt/snapshot in this instance).

If I use this:-

Code:
dar -v -c /mnt/Backup/Fullbackup -R /mnt/snapshot

Everything in the backup is prefixed by /mnt/snapshot, so I end-up with /mnt/snapshot/sbin/blah, /mnt/snapshot/bin/blahblah

Comparing with tar: the accustomed tar's behaviour is to always tear-off the leading slash so that you end-up with a relative path rather than an absolute path, and at restore time one can use tar's -C option to define the root if it isn't the working directory.

I suppose the question is, can I get dar to use relative paths rather than absolute paths? Or, is there another way of tackling this?

I can use bind mounts and ugly workarounds like that, but maybe a user more accustomed to dar can offer some advice? For example, I have done a chroot to /mnt/snapshot and then used the above dar command without the -R option and it has produced what I want, but it's a convoluted way of doing things.

Thanks in anticipation!
wjb
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use "-R /" and the filenames I see in the listing of the contents are relative to "/", e.g. lib32/libncurses.so.5

What do the first few lines of this look like:
Code:
dar -l /mnt/Backup/Fullbackup
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: