Which Media Server Do You Use?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FizzyWidget
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:09 pm    Post subject: Which Media Server Do You Use? Reply with quote

I have moved my server to Linux and am looking to replace the media program I used to use on windows as it doesnt seem to be in portage, I know I could get Plex from an overlay, but wondering what other ones are out there.

I am trying out mediatomb atm, but it seems to be more trouble than it is worth, get no thumbs, and the directory structure is all messed up, and after googling it seems you need to be a script whiz to get it to import things how you would like.

What other UPnP/DLNA servers are worth a look at?
novazur
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For PS3, I use net-misc/ps3mediaserver

Before, I used wizd, and i liked it, but when i bought the PS3, I couldn't use it anymore.
tippincows
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm growing increasingly fond of Xbmc after configuring it to my liking, It works well as a media server on my home network as well as when I am out and connect externally.
lexflex
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I Use MediaBrowser-server :

http://mediabrowser.tv/

It acts as DLNA-server, and you can watch using a browser or andoid app.
Also transcoding is possible, so streaming to mobile devices on a lower bitrate when away from home is possible.
Furthermore it organises /downloads the additional info ( poster, actors, etc) for the media on your server-based mediafolders.

( I use XBMC on htpc's near the tv, but the media itself is on the server).

Alex.

PS: I should mention, no official ebuild, but a unoffical one is available on the megacoffee overlay
szczerb
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also use net-misc/ps3mediaserver but with an LG TV straight, without the PS3 in the middle.
davidbrooke
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: Which Media Server Do You Use? Reply with quote

FizzyWidget wrote:
I have moved my server to Linux and am looking to replace the media program I used to use on windows as it doesnt seem to be in portage, I know I could get Plex from an overlay, but wondering what other ones are out there.

What overlay / source are you referring to for Plex? I'm new to Gentoo and would like to find a source for both Plex media server and Plex home theater. I have tried out Fouxlay but the videos wouldn't play.
lexflex
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Which Media Server Do You Use? Reply with quote

davidbrooke wrote:

What overlay / source are you referring to for Plex? I'm new to Gentoo and would like to find a source for both Plex media server and Plex home theater. I have tried out Fouxlay but the videos wouldn't play.

Hi,

Plex is available from the megacoffee overlay, just as mediabrowser-server :

"megacoffee" /var/lib/layman/megacoffee
http://gentoo-overlay.megacoffee.net/

If you have trouble playing the video's something else might be going on ( but if you suspect the fouxlay versions cause the problems maybe try the megacoffee versions first, but if all installs well than that seems strange to me).

Alex.
davidbrooke
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Media Server Do You Use? Reply with quote

lexflex wrote:
davidbrooke wrote:

Hi,

Plex is available from the megacoffee overlay, just as mediabrowser-server :

"megacoffee" /var/lib/layman/megacoffee
http://gentoo-overlay.megacoffee.net/

If you have trouble playing the video's something else might be going on ( but if you suspect the fouxlay versions cause the problems maybe try the megacoffee versions first, but if all installs well than that seems strange to me).

Alex.

I looked at the megacoffee site but could only find very old versions of Plex media server ie version 9.7.* was the newest which 9.11.7 is the current. Also I couldn't find Plex home theater.
Concerning the playback issue....I'm not certain that the fouxlay version is the problem. I wanted to try another source then evaluate. I not very confident that I have gentoo 's use, etc... setup correctly. Any guidance for the proper setup of use, etc... would be appreciated for media use. I also use Mythtv and have a sound issue concerning alsa and pulseaudio
lexflex
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Which Media Server Do You Use? Reply with quote

davidbrooke wrote:

I looked at the megacoffee site but could only find very old versions of Plex media server ie version 9.7.* was the newest which 9.11.7 is the current. Also I couldn't find Plex home theater.
Concerning the playback issue....I'm not certain that the fouxlay version is the problem. I wanted to try another source then evaluate. I not very confident that I have gentoo 's use, etc... setup correctly.

Indeed they are older versions, but -as you say - you can try and see if your specific Plex-problem is solved in those older versions. ( I don't use Plex myself so can't tell you what features you might miss with the older versions)

davidbrooke wrote:

I also use Mythtv and have a sound issue concerning alsa and pulseaudio

Best would be to create a new topic for this and describe your setup,what you tried/installed, and the problems you experience (what does work and what doesn't).
tnt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is the status of getting Emby (renamed Mediabrowser) into the official tree?
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

minidlna
morbid
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony0945 wrote:
minidlna

+1

minidlna is very simple and light weight.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: