View previous topic :: View next topic  
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tclover wrote:
khayyam wrote:
(...) mkinitcpio-II (...)

How many times did you used that name? Sir, you're completely mistaken... because I wasn't talking about mkinitcpio*. Period, a **bold** one: NO NEED TO EVER COME IN THIS THREAD AGAIN.

tclover ... mearly a misidentification on my part, I of course meant mkinitramfs-ll, easy enough mistake to make. Now, did anyone think for one second I was *not* talking about mkinitramfs-ll ... no. So, while you're acting all indignant about a trivial matter you again omit to reply to the substance of the issue, because of course you can't, your full of bluster and that's about it. Good luck with that attitude, I'm sure you've put a lot of people off checking out mkinitramfs-ll ... if only due to your behaviour.

best ... and hopefully this is indeed the last I hear of it ... khay
msst
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to go into a flame-war over the best tool. They both work fine. 8-)

And I have to thank both khay and tclover for the helpful remarks. I have it all running now. Both better-initramfs / mkinitramfs-ll and my own little script works now.

In the end what I had to do was instead trying to unmount /dev I needed to mount -move it to the new root. Leaving it mounted makes the rc scripts run amok.

And after that I needed to also recompile xorg and its grafic drivers, as compiling the drm and radeon module into the kernel seems to have changed something there as well.

Phew, really much work to get this going. If someone wants it easier use one of the above mentioned initramfs builder solutions. Much easier than hacking that together oneself. And forget any recipes posted anywhere with a small "init" script. That is what I started from - did not work really. Neither did genkernel or dracut for me. Stick to better-initramfs or mkinitramfs-ll.
tclover
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was not my intention to go into the "better tool" "war"... even if I won't be surprised if khay state otherwise. As he pretty much stated my "supposedly" bias _for_ mknitramfs-ll _quickly_ and then rejected entirely the "tool" entirely because of... "my mistakes",--there are certainly _more_ than typos on my side but... there are, certainly, more than _a_ mistake in his side as well.

To make a _short_ story short, I've just recommended mknitramfs-ll with something short: flexibility--which khay _named_ bias right away. And then I stated _a_ reason,--build an initramfs on a disfunctional/incomplete system,--as advantage of better-initramfs. This was not supposed to be complete list of advantages of both project, I've just picked _one_ that stands out on both side.

However, khay just kept pushing in a defensive way as if I was putting his dear _tool_ in a corner to make it look differently than it _really_ is. And then, I picked a _valid_ issue along the way (AUFS+SquashFS+XATTR) because it has the kernel module+utils update requirement (that makes updating the initramfs _required_ in any case.) But this just ended... in a momentum that seemed like a complete rejection because of, first--my _bias_, second--_my mistakes_ and third--_my behavior_; when, in fact, I've just ended the discussion with a _complete_ rejection of his position with... something he just used _himself_ for... a _complete_ rejection: _a mistake_.

No war, no flame needed here.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: