View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KallDrexx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2002 3:24 am    Post subject: IPtables problem Reply with quote

ok I compiled IPtables into a module and:
Code:

localhost linux # modprobe ip_tables
/lib/modules/2.4.19-r1/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.o: unresolved symbol nf_unregister_sockopt
/lib/modules/2.4.19-r1/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.o: unresolved symbol nf_register_sockopt
/lib/modules/2.4.19-r1/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.o: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.19-r1/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.o failed
/lib/modules/2.4.19-r1/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.o: insmod ip_tables failed

same thing with running iptables

Code:

localhost linux # iptables -A INPUT -s 127.0.0.1 -p icmp -j DROP
/lib/modules/2.4.19-r1/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.o: unresolved symbol nf_unregister_sockopt
/lib/modules/2.4.19-r1/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.o: unresolved symbol nf_register_sockopt
/lib/modules/2.4.19-r1/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.o: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.19-r1/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.o failed
/lib/modules/2.4.19-r1/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.o: insmod ip_tables failed
iptables v1.2.6a: can't initialize iptables table `filter': iptables who? (do you need to insmod?)
Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.

Any Ideas?

--KallDrexx
Nitro
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2002 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does running depmod -a tell you?

Please, please SEARCH before posting.

There are three kinds of people in the world: those who can count, and those who can't.
KallDrexx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2002 11:50 am    Post subject: =( Reply with quote

depmod -a returns:

Code:

localhost root # depmod -a
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.19-r1/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_conntrack.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.19-r1/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_queue.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.19-r1/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.19-r1/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ipt_REJECT.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.19-r1/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/iptable_filter.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.19-r1/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/iptable_mangle.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.19-r1/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/iptable_nat.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.19-r1/kernel/net/ipv6/ipv6.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.19-r1/kernel/net/ipv6/netfilter/ip6_queue.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.19-r1/kernel/net/ipv6/netfilter/ip6_tables.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.19-r1/kernel/net/ipv6/netfilter/ip6table_filter.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.19-r1/kernel/net/ipv6/netfilter/ip6table_mangle.o

I don't know why it's looking for the ipv6 stuff since i haven't loaded the ipv6 module.... *shrugs*

--KallDrexx
Nitro
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2002 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try recompiling your kernel and modules. That will most likely solve your problem.
Code:
cd /usr/src/linux
make clean dep bzImage modules modules_install

You will then have to install your kernel in to /boot and update your boot loader accordingly.

Please, please SEARCH before posting.

There are three kinds of people in the world: those who can count, and those who can't.
pepper
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2002 6:13 pm    Post subject: Same Problem here Reply with quote

I'm having pretty much the exact same problem. I've rebuilt the kernel at leat 15 times with every option mix imaginable. I've tried building directly into the kernel as well as building as modules. Did you ever find a soultion to this?
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2002 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Same Problem here Reply with quote

pepper wrote:
Did you ever find a soultion to this?

If you're getting the same kernel errors that KallDrexx posted about above, then you likely have a kernel config problem. Can you do a:

Code:
cat /usr/src/linux/.config | grep IP_NF

and post the results here.

Also, there's another similar thread about iptables problems here. might check some of the troubleshooting info there to see if that helps.

--kurt
shakti
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it would be nice to find a solution to this as i have same problem...
nizZy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah! Ive got the same problem too... I was thinkin' bout System.map where should that file be? Ive tried to compile both ipchains and iptables both as modules and in to the kernel. The only thing that worx, for me, is ipchains in kernel.. But i want iptables. Fuck, have benn compiling for 3 days now =)
FINITE
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are alot of deps in the kernel that have to also be compiled into the kernel for iptables to work correctly or at all. Basically you would be safe in adding everything under the netfilter catogory accept for the experimental and obvious -do not need- things. I was having problems myself untill figuring out that there needed to be much more compiled in besides ip_tables. Here is a link to an howto that shows the basic things that need to be there:http://www.knowplace.org/netfilter/kernelconfig.html This also seems to be a good site on how to set everything esle up, less cryptic than others I have seen.
nizZy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think i solved the problem with a "make mrporper" before everything else..
shakti
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 7:02 pm    Post subject: iptables Reply with quote

well i found out the following by trial and error:
with my current kernel (2.4.19-r1) i cant get iptables to work...unresolved symbols..whatever i try but everything else works
updating to 2.4.19-gentoo-r5 ip_tables work but i need to disable acpi for keyboard to work but then my comp does not power off by himself and more anoying my mouse will not work, neither usb nor ps2.
this is using the same config file for both times i compile the kernel.
Next step i guess is trying vanilla sources.... altough i would like to know where i fail, i know other people get it to work.
keep on hacking :roll:
Vlad
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take my advice. Compile iptables statically into the kernel. Trying to troubleshoot the depmod errors is tedious and mind numbing.
shakti
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 4:48 pm    Post subject: ip tables Reply with quote

well i am now running vanilla sources and... everything works like a brand new humming ducati...
So it seems there is an issue with the gentoo sources. :cry:
Zu`
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: ip tables Reply with quote

shakti wrote:
well i am now running vanilla sources and... everything works like a brand new humming ducati...
So it seems there is an issue with the gentoo sources. :cry:

I'm sure it's some kind of misconfiguration. Also, did you do a "make mrproper" before recompiling your kernel with the same sources?

Greets
shakti
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use the make mrproper every time i compile a kernel, and used the same config file for all compiles.... so it 'should' have worked no?
shakti
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a note to end this :
using gentoo r7 sources resolves the problem
Tuna
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just please not end this :)

gentoo sources r7 doesnt resolve that problem for me..
i also recompiled a lot of things.. make mrproper.. everything i could think of. still the same error..

then i decided clean up some stuff.. removed the leftovers of my 2.4.19-r1 including modules.. and tried to rebuild 2.4.19-r7 once again.. completely clean.. well.. so now i have screwed ethernet modules too.. nice :)
so.. i would really appreciate if someone could explain how the kernel and modules and system.map interact together.. as i obviously do something extremely wrong.. because i honestly dont know whats going on here...
Tuna
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok.. someone told me that it is most likely a dependency error..
and it looks like that 'make dep' isnt reliable in all cases..

maybe i blew up the ethernet modules myself after spending so much time on that error and getting a little bit upset.. i have to check that.
Utoxin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd recommend that you back up your kernel config, and do a 'make mrproper', then reconfigure the kernel. It sounds like you've got some bad links in your tree somewhere, and make mrproper will clean them up.

Cool.
Tuna
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tested another gentoo machine with that.. this time it was a 2.4.18-xfs kernel... well guess what.. same problem there too..
i tried mrproper on that 2.4.19 several times.. with r1 and r7.. no go.
i also reconfigured the kernel without loading any .config file to see if i have b0rked something in there..

google does return me about 2 mio other users having that problem.. 4 people replied - and gave tips.. but no one really seems to _know_ whats happening here...

i may paste the error in detail later.. maybe im really just too dump for that..
unresolved symbol nf_unregister_sockopt
unresolved symbol nf_unregistered_hook
something like these are the troublemakers...

p.s. i know compiling the whole iptables stuff into the kernel might work.. but i want to know the solution for that one.. these things are meant to be to work as modules too, right? :)

*EDIT*
ok.. i got it working.. i made everything like i did 4 or 5 times before...
maybe i should take a longer nap next time before messing with the kernel.
i obviously missed something
psp
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the same problem - my "solution" has been to:
Code:
rm -rf /lib/modules/<kernel-version>
And then recompile - everything works great. I have a feeling that the make dep script is indeed not 100% fool-proof. This has happened to me with and without gentoo linux sources.

Not the "best" solution - but a solution. I've also found that the queuing discipline modules are also built even though I don't have them selected. I mean the extras: htb, sfq, cbq... Maybe this is related?

This has only happened to me once I have re-built the kernel w/ iptables and module support.
virus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 10:48 am    Post subject: removing all modules Reply with quote

I have to second this (from psp)... I had the same problem... tried make mrproper etc. etc. but when I removed the modules in /lib/modules/<kernel version> everything worked suddenly.
TenPin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always use the Vanilla kernels as I have never had a problem with them and my server and iptables firewall box has 329 days uptime =).

--

He's got huge, sharp-- eh-- he can leap about-- look at the bones!
ashkar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will also verify that removing the modules by hand solved the problem with unresolved dependencies. using gentoo sources 2.4.19-r9
whit
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 9:09 pm    Post subject: Same problem with 2.4.20 generic Reply with quote

Dang it. Then read this thread and tried the "make mrproper" which of course (but I'd forgotten it would) tossed out the .config file. Double dang.

So it the lesson that if you build without iptables, and then build with, you're up a creek unless you totally clean out the first build (mrproper plus its installed modules)??
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: