Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
How long does it take you to install Gentoo?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

how long did it take you?
less than 1 hour
9%
 9%  [ 6 ]
1 hour
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
2-3 hours
21%
 21%  [ 14 ]
4-6 hours
10%
 10%  [ 7 ]
7-10 hours
9%
 9%  [ 6 ]
10-24 hours
13%
 13%  [ 9 ]
24-48 hours
9%
 9%  [ 6 ]
1-7 days
20%
 20%  [ 13 ]
1-2 weeks
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 65

amulet_linux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject: How long does it take you to install Gentoo? Reply with quote

*including Xorg installed, web browser, office suite, media player and a text editor. Did you get it?

Sorry if this question has been asked recently, it is like a big forum.
The first time I installed Gentoo in Intel Atom took me 1 week with everything installed: Gimp, Inkscape, Evolution, KDE games... Using i7 I guess it took me less than a day...
And finally installing the Gentoo with uclibc took me 3 hours.

what about you?
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

20 minutes of my time, is that what you asked?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Less than an hour ... I don't count CPU time - just my time, so even on a Raspberry Pi, its still under an hour, unless I mess up the kernel.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
amulet_linux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
Less than an hour ... I don't count CPU time - just my time, so even on a Raspberry Pi, its still under an hour, unless I mess up the kernel.

what about counting your CPU times? Actually it seems you have a powerful processor
amulet_linux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaglover wrote:

I wanted to know the whole time, including CPU, the truth is I'm writing a post about Gentoo and I think it including it is important
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amulet_linux wrote:
Jaglover wrote:

I wanted to know the whole time, including CPU, the truth is I'm writing a post about Gentoo and I think it including it is important

Sorry, I do not know. I use my desktop to install Gentoo, even if it is a laptop sitting right next to me. I boot it up, set password and log off. Then I log on over SSH from my desktop and from there Gentoo install is just a terminal window I check every now and then to see how it is doing and whether my input is needed.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It takes me about 2 hours total I'd say. I don't count time spent messing with hardware to get internet. It is amazing how hard it can be to find cat 5 cables that are not in use.

Although, in theory it should take about 5 minutes. Just resync from my backup and there it is. For some reason, I always like to install from scratch on new hardware. I think it is a sort of "getting to know" my new box thing.

2 hours is probably an overestimate. It goes quickly if you know what you are doing.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I take back my 20 min. If I have to configure the kernel from scratch it is more than hour. In most cases I copy over my own kernel seed and make a few changes and it goes real fast.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amulet_linux,

I don't really know elapsed time.
For a new install, I boot system rescue CD. Set up ssh and screen, so I'm not even connected to the target box most of the time.

I copy over /usr/portage, /etc/portage to the new box together with the world file, then run
Code:
emerge -uDNkav @system
emerge -uDNkav @world

That uses the packages in /usr/portage/packages if the USE flags are correct and rebuilds them if not.

Thats a way of almost but not quite, cloning an existing install.
I rarely perform a from scratch install, its usually a first install on a new (to me) arch.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, when I get to the stage when we run emerge -aev @system I use a screen session, too. This allows me to log on from different remote locations and keep it going.
amulet_linux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
amulet_linux,

I don't really know elapsed time.
For a new install, I boot system rescue CD. Set up ssh and screen, so I'm not even connected to the target box most of the time.

I copy over /usr/portage, /etc/portage to the new box together with the world file, then run
Code:
emerge -uDNkav @system
emerge -uDNkav @world

That uses the packages in /usr/portage/packages if the USE flags are correct and rebuilds them if not.

Thats a way of almost but not quite, cloning an existing install.
I rarely perform a from scratch install, its usually a first install on a new (to me) arch.

nice method. I have been reading your gentoo install guide from the LiveDVD, it's similar.
Couldn't you just clone your partition and update your kernel and fstab? Or maybe using rsync?
amulet_linux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="amulet_linux"]
NeddySeagoon wrote:
amulet_linux,

nice method. I have been reading your gentoo install guide from the LiveDVD, it's similar.
Couldn't you just clone your partition and update your kernel and fstab? Or maybe using rsync?

I realized it's convenient since de tarballs are compressed, less transfer time, isn't?
Perfect Gentleman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

~amd64, KDE, LIbreOffice, Firefox, Thunderbird, wine, icedtea - 5 hours
Irre
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not possible to answer. To install on Raspberry PI it takes several days if you rebuild world. On a fast windows machine it takes some days for backup, planning and realllocation of partitions. I installed grub on another partition than windows boot partition and made the grub boot partition active. Via grub I can then boot three Linux, one FreeBSD and chainload Windows boot, without overwriting windows boot record.

I think the best way to test and learn gentoo is to install it on a virtual machine. Oracle virtual machine is free and very suitable.
kite14
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say a couple of days before all the apps I want are installed.
After one hours I have a bootable system, 2-3 hour later, after tweaking all the USE flags, I have a full desktop (KDE).
Then I start emerging the packages I want. After a couple of days it's all done, but the time I REALLY spend at the keyboard it's down to a couple of hours.
tclover
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:07 am    Post subject: Not clear enough... not voting. Reply with quote

It depends...

* complete noob to GNU/Linux and Gentoo Linux: at least a week of active RTFMing and installation on low power Intel(R) CPU (Core 2 P7200 or something) to get X/GNOME 2 (call it installation from scratch and complete noob);
* half a week, 3-4 days, to finish installation from scratch from an experienced Gentoo User; well, almost a full week to get ALSA/JACK/LXDE/OpenBox/Enlightenment fully installed/configured/functional (quite different from the "from scratch & noob");
* a very few hours with configuration files and 1/2 days to have a functional OS;

Which one to pick up for the poll? This is how pol are just tools to say anything and the opposite with the same data. No wonder _pol science/statistics_ are complete bullshit.
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Not clear enough... not voting. Reply with quote

tclover wrote:
Which one to pick up for the poll? This is how pol are just tools to say anything and the opposite with the same data. No wonder _pol science/statistics_ are complete bullshit.

tclover ... no, they are not. They may not be meaningful, they may even be open to manipulation in various ways, but the method itself involves inductive probability, which is the basis of scientific methodology. No one would claim any poll here results in "strong evidence", they are not conducted in a way that would allow for that. The question "how long is a piece of string" (or "how long does it take to [...]") would no doubt illicit data, but any conclusions based on that data would not get us any closer to a generalisation about the length of string. That isn't a problem with the methodology, it's a question of framing/bias, the methodology doesn't provide true premises, but, true conclusions from true premises. Such conclusions are simply probable (in that they are in essence fallible) and form a basis for further enquiry, negation, etc.

Now, you probably hold to some "bullshit" that the chair you are now sitting on, and the floor that supports it, will not suddenly give way, and I assume you base that knowledge on probability (and there is every reason for you to do so, as to claim that, like Descartes, you can completely suspend belief/judgement yet still act as though the chair/floor will support you shows dishonesty about what you believe in fact).

best ... khay
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amulet_linux,

Copying over the packages and /etc/portage gives me more flexability than a filesystem clone.
I get to fine tune the USE flags on the new install and only packages that have the correct USE flags set are reused.
The -k means use the binary packages if possible.

Depending on how you do it, a partition clone can copy a lot of empty space too. That can take a long time over an ADSL link.

I was tempted to say that I just click Clone in virt-manager to do a new install but I guess that doesn't answer the intent of your question.
Most of my installs are KVM guests these days.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
avx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 hours, at most 3 if it's a machine for a purpose I didn't have yet or if it's a new architecture for me. Kernel from scratch, CFLAGS and USE-Flags take me the longest, while I usually copy over a set of proven configs, there's always some new stuff to check out (just spend ~15mins digging through firefox's ebuild and if that's really all I can configure).

Now that's today where my weekest CPU is a single i5, about ten years ago when I started with Gentoo and was high on KDE, 2-3 days of 100% CPU was normal to me.

It isn't that bad, though, I'd spend the same amount of time with f.e. Fedora, trying to get rid of all the crap and figuring out how all that systemd, polkit and networkmanager crap works(if it works at all, that is). I prefer building up from a sane base instead of trying to strip down a clusterfuck.
jonathan183
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: How long does it take you to install Gentoo? Reply with quote

Typing at the keyboard less than an hour because most of /etc I can re-use. If I'm using an existing installs packages then the machine time is less than 2 hours. From a stage3 with rebuild of system and compiling firefox and libreoffice it can take a few hours on a 64 bit system and a couple of days on an Athlon-XP based system.

Starting from scratch I'd expect it to take about 2 hours of my time but more of the CPU time. I use IceWM so don't build a full DE.

For a laptop install I usually boot from the systemrescuecd and have started using ssh from my desktop, which also lets me keep a copy of the commands used for future reference ... which would reduce my time to do a fresh install significantly in future ;)
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

11 years and counting.
truekaiser
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:
11 years and counting.

I second that.
None of my installs are really 'quite' done. :P
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually don't know. Last install was many many years ago. Since then updates were all that was needed.

But I do hate those days when there is the (felt) twenty fifth -rX update of libreoffice + chromium.

I identify as a dirty penismensch.
aditya3098
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Booted in 5 hours.

Customization: 3 Weeks
mrbassie
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

started one yesterday, finished it today. Only reason it took so long is I forgot to bring my kernel .config to work so I left it sitting in the chroot. probably took less than an hour really. I've copied over /var/lib/world too and I've just run emerge -e world . I'm guessing that will take a couple of days.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: