Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
How long does it take you to install Gentoo?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

how long did it take you?
less than 1 hour
9%
 9%  [ 6 ]
1 hour
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
2-3 hours
21%
 21%  [ 14 ]
4-6 hours
10%
 10%  [ 7 ]
7-10 hours
9%
 9%  [ 6 ]
10-24 hours
13%
 13%  [ 9 ]
24-48 hours
9%
 9%  [ 6 ]
1-7 days
20%
 20%  [ 13 ]
1-2 weeks
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 65

khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... and less than two days to get compromised :)

best ... khay
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honest around a week until everything is set up in a nice way.

a few hours for cli. But is comand line interface a finished installation? i need a desktop and other things and htose are time consuming to built

The things are the fine tuning and to get x-working. New hardware means new issues to resolve.

My favourite is to install 8gb of a binary distro like linux mint and than chroot from there and use the mint grub2 bootloader.

Things are always changing. And the knowledge which was useful a few years back to install is outdated as the kernel needs new settings to boot at all. Luckily gentoo sources have these days a build in gentoo-section which covers this issue. X-server is also changing all teh time its config files and hwo the config looks like.
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had to replace an old machine by a new one over the internet: Since hardware is "mainly" identical to my current machine, I took a mixture of the old configuration and my currrent one: Setting up a complete /etc (for all planned applicatoins) took about 3-5 hours, since many tricky things had to be set up. Then I took the list of installed packages (taking care to have about the same portage tree on both machines) and thought emerge -1 $(cat package.list) would essentially do the trick.

Well, first I spent a few hours resolving conflicts due to the new broken "static deps for installed packages" behaviour of portage (due to the packages installed on stage3). OK, not nice but bearable. But then many packages did not compile (although they had done so on my current machine), so I had to intervene the compilation process very often: Most were bugs with current gcc or glibc which had been reported long ago on bugzilla (often 6 months or longer), a patch had been submitted, but nobody had ever cared to put the patch into the tree. Every single one is simply fixed, but the number and the necessity to continuously intervene costs a lot of time:
Until my ~1300 packages were emerged - with all the interventions which I could not do regularly - almost 1 week has passed.

Finally, everything is installed now - up to a few packages which I was not able to fix but for which I made a binary from my current machine and shipped it over the internet.

Now, finally, happy rebooting into a supposedly working system ... a disaster: After some hours, I found that here PEBKAC (removed wrong kernel module directory).

Anyway: All in all, it took almost a week.

Edit: Finished story correctly (as I found the reason PEBKAC just now...)

Last edited by mv on Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
cryptosteve
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need an hour of my personal time and 7-10 hours compile-time.
(always using an existing configuration and kernel configuration file).
mek42
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm doing my first install next week. Do you want me to include the time I've been spending reading about what choices to make? Things like which init to use, software or hardware RAID, what to put on SSD vs. SAS near-line drives, what compiler options to use as default, things like that? And I haven't even started figuring out USE or portage at all really, and my choice of ext4 and md if I do software RAID are more from default than study of options, assuming btrfs hasn't improved huge amount in 6 months.

Knowing what to install is part of the process, right? :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: