View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ville-v
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:29 am    Post subject: Firefox pdf preview uses too big unreadable fonts Reply with quote

When I open a pdf file in Firefox, many pdf show up with too big font that is unreadable. For example, this file looks like this:

http://i.imgur.com/lEU6Bb7.png
http://www.comets.fi/@Bin/202304/aikataulu_2015_kevat_15_12_2014.pdf

When I open the file at the default 100% zoom, the font is twice too big and does not fit the table. When I zoom 200%, the boxes scale but the text does not. I have to zoom 200% so that the pdf would look as intended. On another computer, the file looks fine. It seems to me that this problem mostly affects files with tables.

What should I do to fix this error? Thanks.
v_andal
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to play with fonts settings, both in Firefox and in fontsconfig. My Firefox opened that document without any problem, so there should be a way to tune it. Though I agree, fonts support in Linux is a mess 8)
charles17
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Firefox pdf preview uses too big unreadable fonts Reply with quote

ville-v wrote:
First of all, check if it also happens with a Firefox' clean profile. https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-7652772.html#7652772
ville-v
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Firefox pdf preview uses too big unreadable fonts Reply with quote

charles17 wrote:
ville-v wrote:
First of all, check if it also happens with a Firefox' clean profile. https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-7652772.html#7652772
Yes, this also happens with a clean profile. Starting up, I get these errors. Are they related?

Code:
$ firefox -ProfileManager

(process:17168): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion 'sys_page_size == 0' failed
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/41-ttf-arphic-ukai.conf", line 16: Having multiple <family> in <alias> isn't supported and may not work as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/41-ttf-arphic-ukai.conf", line 16: Having multiple <family> in <alias> isn't supported and may not work as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/50-user.conf", line 14: reading configurations from ~/.fonts.conf is deprecated.

These files don't seem to have anything unusual.

/etc/fonts/conf.d/50-user.conf
Code:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<fontconfig>
   <!--
       Load per-user customization files where stored on XDG Base Directory
       specification compliant places. it should be usually:
         $HOME/.config/fontconfig/conf.d
         $HOME/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf
   -->
   <include ignore_missing="yes" prefix="xdg">fontconfig/conf.d</include>
   <include ignore_missing="yes" prefix="xdg">fontconfig/fonts.conf</include>
   <!-- the following elements will be removed in the future -->
   <include ignore_missing="yes" deprecated="yes">~/.fonts.conf.d</include>
   <include ignore_missing="yes" deprecated="yes">~/.fonts.conf</include>
</fontconfig>

/etc/fonts/conf.d/41-ttf-arphic-ukai.conf
Code:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<fontconfig>

<!--
  Sans-serif faces
 -->
   <alias>
      <family>AR PL ZenKai Uni</family>
      <family>AR PL ZenKai Uni MBE</family>
      <family>AR PL UKai CN</family>
      <family>AR PL UKai HK</family>
      <family>AR PL UKai TW</family>
      <family>AR PL UKai TW MBE</family>
      <default><family>sans-serif</family></default>
   </alias>
</fontconfig>
charles17
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Firefox pdf preview uses too big unreadable fonts Reply with quote

ville-v wrote:
Yes, this also happens with a clean profile. Starting up, I get these errors. Are they related?

Code:

(process:17168): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion 'sys_page_size == 0' failed
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/50-user.conf", line 14: reading configurations from ~/.fonts.conf is deprecated.
The "GLib-CRITICAL" seems to be normal, there were discussions in the past already. And that's what I always get when starting firefox from command line. But I've never had those Fontconfig warning messages.
ville-v
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I updated Firefox to 31.3.0 today and it solved this. No idea why.
v_andal
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Firefox pdf preview uses too big unreadable fonts Reply with quote

ville-v wrote:
Starting up, I get these errors. Are they related?

Code:

/etc/fonts/conf.d/41-ttf-arphic-ukai.conf
Code:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<fontconfig>

<!--
  Sans-serif faces
 -->
   <alias>
   </alias>
</fontconfig>

The error indicates, that newer version of fontconfig does not support multiple <family> entries within <alias>. So the 41-ttf-arphic-ukai.conf is essentially broken. Most likely it is harmless. I guess you can even deactivate this file using eselect fontconfig. Alternatively you can try and modify it to be something like
Code:

<alias>
        </alias>
        <alias>
        </alias>
        <alias>
        </alias>
        <alias>
        </alias>
        <alias>
        </alias>
        <alias>
   </alias>
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: