25%  [ 16 ]
I've never installed Gentoo...
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 63

eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:48 pm    Post subject: Installed Gentoo on EFI? Reply with quote

Another curiosity poll.

Have you installed Gentoo on an EFI/UEFI system?

While it appears Gentoo doesn't "support" UEFI, there's no reason why it can't be used.

http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/UEFI_Gentoo_Quick_Install_Guide

Just wondering how many people have attempted EFI installs? Or against EFI so much that you'd refuse to use it ever?

I've been trying to install a UEFI32 system, and it's been a PITA. If it had been a regular PC (it's a tablet) or supported 64-bit, I'm sure it would have been a lot easier and well supported... or if it supported MBR I'd already have a working system on it...
platojones
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had it installed on a UEFI system for nearly 3 years now. Using grub2 as the boot loader, dual-boot with Windoze 7. It was a wicked learning curve and it's a very fiddly process, but once it's in, it just works. I wasn't aware that Gentoo didn't support it, though. Works well for me.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done it twice. Once on a Lenovo laptop with rEFInd and once on a custom built desktop with no extra boot loader at all. Both times where really straight forward.

No bootloader was the easiest by far. Just drop the kernel image in /boot/EFI/Boot and update the EFI vars so it knew that it existed and it booted the first time. REFInd required some playing around to get it to work as desired.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only successful EFI install I've done is on my ia64 box and this was before the EFI stub was available - so I was forced to use elilo (Linux 2.6.20ish, well before full UEFI support). I don't even know if the EFI stub works on ia64 or not at this point...
I don't even think efivars was supported then either, but fortunately the EFI shell and the firmware had ways to edit the menu without OS support, so in that respect getting elilo to autoload on powerup was not a problem.

Actually I do wonder, because ia64 was a supported architecture, that wiki page is wrong... EFI is the only way to boot at least my ia64 box...
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I replaced my computer to the current one, I was able to do EFI. Before, I was forced to do only MBR as the computers didn't support EFI. I still have a couple computers that won't support EFI ever (pre Ghz CPU's, and one that is pre 64-bit system).
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised nobody has anti-EFI sentiment yet...
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't complain about EFI, as once I got it working; it works like a charm and never have to worry about it since (I had less issues when I first tried EFI than what I had with grub2). Now, if you want to get into get into Secure Boot, I'm game for being anti-Secure Boot. :D
The Doctor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
My impression with EFI is that it is basically like any other piece of software. Once you start to understand it, it just kind of makes sense and you forget what was so mysterious about it.

My guess is that the anti position is going to be mostly people who haven't had the epiphany yet. I'm honestly a bit surprised any boot loader has bothered with EFI support since it basically slows down the boot process. A solution in search of a problem, as it where.

ct85711 wrote:
Now, if you want to get into get into Secure Boot, I'm game for being anti-Secure Boot.
+1

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
apieum
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,
I'm new on this forum, so why not start with an easy trolling topic (after all, why leaving a good impression). :D

ct85711 wrote:
Now, if you want to get into get into Secure Boot, I'm game for being anti-Secure Boot. :D

I'm curious, I was going to configure secure boot, why I shoudn't ? :)

Anyway, after years of loyal services, I'm leaving fedora (returning to gentoo my first love) because of uefi.

Each time I updated the kernel I had to manually check grub2 which makes distributions like fedora loosing their main advantage (having few administrative tasks).
In prime, I've a samsung laptop and the corresponding module was deactivated in uefi mode due to the risk of bricking the laptop with old bios.

Obviously my bios is up to date and found amazing how in gentoo it was easy to configure efi stub over compressed btrfs root, with samsung_laptop module, wayland gnome...

I wish you the best,
Greg
The Doctor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

apieum wrote:

a) Pain in the neck.
b) Fedora are about the only guys out there who have a way to get it to work in Linux. Getting it to work in other distros is, well, see a)
c) Pointless pain. People mucking with your bios probably isn't much of a threat.

apieum
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Doctor wrote:
apieum wrote:

a) Pain in the neck.
b) Fedora are about the only guys out there who have a way to get it to work in Linux. Getting it to work in other distros is, well, see a)
c) Pointless pain. People mucking with your bios probably isn't much of a threat.

Thanks, in fact I'm not concerned about "security" it provides, I just want to remove the boot message of the kind "secure boot not activated".

I found these articles which make it seems to be less painfull than you said.
- http://www.rodsbooks.com/efi-bootloaders/secureboot.html#add_keys
- http://www.kroah.com/log/blog/2013/09/02/booting-a-self-signed-linux-kernel/

I'll see.
Levns
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:

Can't complain either. Installed Linux on one hard drive of my desktop computer. Then installed windows 7 (both in EFI mode). Windows installed itself in the original EFI partition, right next to GRUB. Just had to restore boot order to GRUB first. I never had dual booting so easy and clean.

Other than that, well I must admit the original installation of Gentoo on EFI can be quite a pain if you want to install GRUB2.

The easiest way I found was using an Archlinux liveUSB (which support EFI booting) to do my classic installation, except the GRUB part where you have to do the work of grub-install by yourself (copying all the needed files and then registering GRUB using efivarmgr outside of the chroot). Because apparently the efivars architecture in /sys in Gentoo and ArchLinux are different and grub-install didn't survive that.
szczerb
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not enough options in the poll. I attempted, but didn't succeed in a short time. Had to get the computer going, as I had work to do, so switched to legacy.
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never used efi, but don't hate it or think it's bad. So didn't vote.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giving up and using legacy, or not using it because too lazy I think still fits under the "No, MBR forever/EFI is devil spawn" - I should have voted this option on my EFI capable laptop, but since I did do a EFI install on ia64 I'm shoving this fact under the rug... (Technically the laptop is still using EFI but EFI is chainloading MBR/legacy to boot Gentoo.)

I set this poll to be timed so next time if it comes around you've got it and can go vote 'yes'!

(I was curious about EFI as this is one of the pieces of software out there that adds complexity out there or at least was a fairly large paradigm shift, putting a lot more stuff in preboot... At least postboot things still look exactly the same as before, save secure boot, which means it didn't really buy that much.)
szczerb
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would quite harsh if I called it the spawn of evil after not being able to boot for like 20 minutes. With dumb mistakes it took me longer to get normal MBR hardware to boot ;)
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still haven't gotten this (@&()$%@ thing working and about to call it devilspawn myself... I'm sure it'll boot just fine if it supported MBR/legacy boot.

I'm pretty sure it's a kernel issue at this point, the firmware only supports UEFI-i386. To give credit to where it's due, I can see it running rEFInd and Grub2 just fine (secure boot is off) but the kernel hangs after load.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r,

If the kernel loads and starts to decompress, UEFI has done its job.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see it trying to load (rEFInd or using the built-in loader)... it prints nothing to the screen afterwards (rEFInd case) or screen is completely black (using stub only from the built-in loader).

Either the EFI handoff to kernel code didn't happen because it didn't load properly (could be a bug in UEFI that it won't load a huge .efi file?), or the kernel doesn't know how to start running on this system. Hard to tell which unfortunately as I don't see any more text.

I really need to get Grub2 totally working, as this is a different codepath to get the kernel running...
The Doctor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
Hard to tell which unfortunately as I don't see any more text.

What, you can't read black text on a black screen? :wink:

Look to the kernel. I'm not sure where exactly.

avx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problems with (U)EFI itself so far, rEFInd works very well. Only problem I've got is that I want to drop rEFInd, too, but I didn't get the kernel to boot without it.

If someone would like to help with this, system in question is Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga (latest firmware according to Lenovo's site), kernel is gentoo-sources 3.18.1, EFI stub is enabled, needed parameters are included via built-in commandline. I put the kernel on the ESP and used `efibootmgr` to create an entry pointing to it. In the bootmenu, the entry shows up, but on selection, the screen goes blank for ~half a second and then returns to the selection menu. (same kernel without changes works via rEFInd)
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
I see it trying to load (rEFInd or using the built-in loader)... it prints nothing to the screen afterwards (rEFInd case) or screen is completely black (using stub only from the built-in loader).

eccerr0r ... this sounds as though the framebuffer isn't initialised. I had a similar issue with 3.16.7, everything seemed to be correct, it would boot (and I could login, start X11, switch vt, and get a display) but there was no framebuffer for console (haven't tried any more recent kernels). inteldrmfb was in use (and no efifb enabled) and there was nothing very much different from previous working configs.

EDIT: yes, this is also 32bit efi.

eccerr0r wrote:
Either the EFI handoff to kernel code didn't happen because it didn't load properly (could be a bug in UEFI that it won't load a huge .efi file?), or the kernel doesn't know how to start running on this system. Hard to tell which unfortunately as I don't see any more text.

In case of 3.16.7 there was no printk at all. Are you able to login (blind) or does it simply hang?

avx wrote:
If someone would like to help with this, system in question is Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga (latest firmware according to Lenovo's site), kernel is gentoo-sources 3.18.1, EFI stub is enabled, needed parameters are included via built-in commandline. I put the kernel on the ESP and used `efibootmgr` to create an entry pointing to it. In the bootmenu, the entry shows up, but on selection, the screen goes blank for ~half a second and then returns to the selection menu. (same kernel without changes works via rEFInd)

avx ... post the output of 'efibootmgr -v' ... and what version of efibootmgr are you using? You might also pastebin the .config.

BTW, it should be noted efi is a specification, there are many firmwares out there (some better than others ... and some simply broken/crippled) and so we can't really speak of "UEFI" as something we might all experience is a similar way. I was, by necessity, an early adopter, and had no real issue with it, though I did have some issues here and there as the stub code changed (and firmware issues were exposed). I generally recommend rEFInd, and staying away from grub2, I'd even recommend rEFInd over efibootmgr/stub as it makes updates easier, and efibootmgr can sometimes fail in unexpected ways wrt setting nvram.

best ... khay
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with my particular machine is that it's a tablet, and as far as I know, nobody has gotten Linux to work on this particular machine yet as it was recently placed on the market (it's a "Bay Trail" x86 SOC, so at least the hardware is not super new, but not 'well-hacked' in any respect). I have no Ethernet or other ports to test - just the screen. I was able to find the wifi driver but it's not in the kernel tree and I'm sure I'll need a few rounds of debugging that too.

As it's an Intel Gen 7 graphics, I don't know how well kernel support works. I think I have all the EFI settings right to start using EFIFB, which I would hope that it would not change video modes and simply use the EFI routines for early printks. Unfortunately I don't get any printks to come through - when I get the kernel to run through rEFInd it's as if it spinlocks - there's absolutely no graphics mode changes. Booting it raw straight from EFI the screen clears and stays black, but the firmware may have done this too...

I'll need to make sure that I don't have intelfbdrm load on boot, but even if it did, the initial printks should show up through EFI if the EFIFB was working properly...
avx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khayyam wrote:

avx ... post the output of 'efibootmgr -v' ... and what version of efibootmgr are you using? You might also pastebin the .config.

Meh, my fault, after inspecting with `efibootmgr -v` I see I had forgotten do use "\\" instead of "\", works now, yeah *ashamed* :oops:
EmaRsk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed Gentoo on my Thinkpad, and Debian Wheezy on a Vaio, both of them with UEFI to allow a dualboot with Windows.
I tried Extlinux, but I didn't get it to work. I also tried Grub but I hate it, and it didn't work either. I settled on rEFInd.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: