CPU + RAM are not reporting full capacity
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anon146
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:29 pm    Post subject: CPU + RAM are not reporting full capacity Reply with quote

I've lately noticed that the system was moving a little sluggish with a few VM's open. Both cpuinfo and meminfo are reporting weaker hardware. The CPU is 600MHz less while RAM is showing 1.4GB less. Absolutely no idea what's causing this, any help would be appreciated!

Kernel: 3.16.5
Reported CPU: Intel Core i5-3320M CPU @ 2.60GHz (should be 3.2GHz)
2 core 4 thread
Reported Memory: 6635 MB (should be 8000MB)

-- make.conf

CFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe"
USE="bindist mx sse sse2"
MAKEOPTS="-j3"
VIDEO_CARDS="i965"
SDNick484
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2.6GHz for your CPU is correct according to Intel; the 3.3 GHz is the max potential speed with Turbo, not the standard clock speed.

As for the memory, that's a bit trickier, but it sounds like it may be an UEFI issue. Maybe check this thread out and see if it sounds similar.
anon146
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason screenfetch on Arch always reported 3.3GHz. Anyways not an issue.

Yes, more than likely it is an issue with UEFI. I'll reformat and install GPT to see if any changes are made. Thank you!
SDNick484
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anon146 wrote:
For some reason screenfetch on Arch always reported 3.3GHz. Anyways not an issue.

Yes, more than likely it is an issue with UEFI. I'll reformat and install GPT to see if any changes are made. Thank you!

No worries, and you're right. I just tried screenfetch as I had never heard of that tool before and sure enough it does report 3.2GHz (I have the same CPU). It seems to cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/cpuinfo_max_freq which returns 3200000. I'm not sure why that's limited to 3.2GHz when Intel claims the CPU can go up to 3.3GHz, but I guess that's a question for a different post. EDIT: Nevermind, mine is a i5-3230M so 3.2GHz is correct.

Good luck with the UEFI stuff. Personally, I ended up just getting frustated with it and reverting back to BIOS + GRUB 0.99 since I didn't see any benefit at all from UEFI.
anon146
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as suspected. Bits of GPT still remained and was corrupted or at least that's my interpretation from gdisk.

Created a new table and sure enough the entire 8GB are being fully utilized again. Welp better start compiling all over again.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: