mrbassie wrote:
Did you do
Code:
#emerge -uavDN world
and
Code:
#emerge --depclean
after you set those use flags?

Also, the first kde package you emerged determines what got pulled in with it. Look in /var/lib/portage/world. anything that's in there isn't going away no matter what you do with use flags unless you unmerge it. If you want to start again, unmerge anything kde related that's in that file and emerge kdebase-startkde.

Don't take this the wrong way but it's not down to kde or gentoo, it's that it takes a while to get your head around portage. It's not like a binary package manager; always, always, always use the --ask and --verbose (-av) switches when running emerge and read the output paying attention to the use flags before proceeding.

If you haven't already, I highly recommend emerging gentoolkit and familiarising yourself with those tools (I've no idea why it's not in stage 3)

http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Gentoolkit

btw, both jaglover and stevel are far more knowledgeable than myself, I'm just chiming in because I'm a kde user, haven't been on Gentoo all that long (< 2 years) and I've made a lot of mistakes you might very well walk into yourself.

No, I did not run those commands that you mentioned. I will here shortly.

Here is the contents of /var/lib/portage/world:

Code:

app-admin/syslog-ng
app-portage/gentoolkit
kde-base/kdebase-startkde
kde-base/kdm
kde-base/konsole
kde-misc/kdesudo
net-misc/dhcpcd
net-misc/netifrc
net-misc/networkmanager
sys-apps/mlocate
sys-apps/pciutils
sys-boot/grub
sys-kernel/gentoo-sources
sys-process/cronie
www-client/firefox
x11-base/xorg-server
x11-drivers/xf86-input-synaptics

Doesn't look like anything I need to work about or do I?

At this point I think that I am content with the system I have. I finally have KDE installed and can log in to it now. I should just start doing some more research about the things you and the others have mentioned so that I have a better understanding about how portage and Gentoo work. There are just a couple of things that I need to fix on my computer, but I will probably start another thread so that I don't take this one off in rabbit trails. So, other than a few things I need to fix, I am happy with my system at the moment.

Thanks for your help and advice.
amaltheia
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to say thanks to Jaglover, mrbassie, and steveL for your help. I now have KDE installed and running. I have some more work to do but will leave that for other threads. I have enjoyed the adventure of getting this computer working and have learned a lot in the process. I know I have a lot more to learn, but am excited to keep working.

I am going to mark this thread as solved because my original problem has been solved and I don't want to take this way off topic. If I have any further question about portage and use flags, I will read more and ask questions on the other thread dedicated to the topic.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amaltheia wrote:
Just wanted to say thanks to Jaglover, mrbassie, and steveL for your help. I now have KDE installed and running. I have some more work to do but will leave that for other threads. I have enjoyed the adventure of getting this computer working and have learned a lot in the process. I know I have a lot more to learn, but am excited to keep working.

Excellent :D You've caught the bug: Welcome to Gentoo :-)

If I didn't link it before, make sure to read "the basics" at the top of the second page of "my favourite tips" thread.
There are quite a few gems in there, eg be sure to use FEATURES=buildpkg for easy rollback, and setting up a local overlay is something you will want to do soon enough.

Once you're comfortable maintaining it (about 6-8 months from now) you'll realise you absolutely love your computer when it's setup your way, and you never have any real lib-hell, nor massive bugs, like you did on bindists, since everything is built together. So long as you stay stable (and package.keywords what you want, and don't mind coping with breakage for since you're into the project) the underlying system is rock-solid.

When Gentoo users complain about "bugs" it's practically always about incoming packages which don't build, or require some sort of tweaking with others in order to build. It's very rarely about the bugs we used to complain about on bindists, where things don't work somewhere deep in the stack, and no-one knows why, but "never mind here's another set of updates we compiled," for a new set of weird problems. The latter affect your usage of the software; the former don't, since in the meantime everything that worked before, continues to work (as it was all custom-compiled, for exactly your setup.)

I know which one I prefer :-) That's why you see people leave Gentoo for a while ("fed up of all the compiling") and then come back a year or so later, after a couple of "6-monthly upgrades" in a bindist.
Quote:
I am going to mark this thread as solved because my original problem has been solved and I don't want to take this way off topic. If I have any further question about portage and use flags, I will read more and ask questions on the other thread dedicated to the topic.

Good move. That's exactly how you get wider help on each particular problem.
Quote:
Just thought of another question. Is this problem of all these unnecessary packages related to KDE or Gentoo itself? Would it be better to go with a lighter weight DE like XFCE or LXDE?

As mrbassie said, it's more to do with getting comfortable with portage and USE flags, and seeing how things go over a bit longer, wrt maintenance.

Certainly there are codebases that require a lot more effort, or simply aren't worth the effort and breakage (eg systemderanged and polickysh1t.) KDE-4.x was coming to that point for me, until I got rid of semantic-craptop, and my machine suddenly started breathing again. Getting rid of nubkit made it a bit smoother still, and now it feels like 3.5 used to, only better. :-)

The experience has convinced me that nothing is going to stand in the way of using the machine how I want; if needs be I ditch software that has clearly come into the hands of a maintenance team who doesn't know what they're doing. It's simply not worth ceding control of my machine, as that makes me much less productive.

Only you can decide, since only you know what makes you happy. I'd advise sticking with KDE for a few months, since it is what you wanted in the first place. If at a later stage you decide you want to switch to something else, then it won't be because you didn't get portage, but because you're comfortable with Gentoo, and want to try it for its own sake. And OFC you can run both, and try out various WMs along the way (as many others do and have.)

edit: I see you have dhcpcd, netifrc and network-manager all in world; you can get rid of the latter two if you want a leaner machine, since dhcpcd covers both areas certainly enough for most end-users. It'll manage wpa-supplicant for you, and there's a systray app for Qt and GTK as well. I'd definitely take that path in your position.
mrbassie
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a heads-up:
Did a sync today, two new flags one or both want to pull in akonadi & deps, they are "crash-reporter" and "kdepim"
amaltheia
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrbassie wrote:
Just a heads-up:
Did a sync today, two new flags one or both want to pull in akonadi & deps, they are "crash-reporter" and "kdepim"

Thanks for the info. I saw this a little after you posted it but did not know what to make of it. But a couple weeks back I noticed that even though I had -akonadai in make.conf it still installed it when I updated. So I went back and changed make.conf to keep out both crash-reporter and kdepim which resulted in akonadai being uninstalled after I did an newuse update in emerge.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: