View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lordalbert
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: Restyle Gentoo site Reply with quote

Hi at all,
from a bit i'm thinking that gentoo site needs some "refresh". Yesterday i see the new funtoo site, and i like it very much. Now it's clear, for me, that a new simple and clear theme will improve browsing and reading, espacially the wiki (documentation).

What do you think about?
jonathan183
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:08 pm    Post subject: I think the Gentoo site is fine as it is ... Reply with quote

Opinions will vary ... personally I really dislike the screen shot slide show on the Funtoo home page. I see these sort of things on a number of web pages and they can be really irritating, especially when they slow page loading and browser responsiveness. I did not even spot the link to go to the wiki from the home page ...

So for me personally - the Gentoo home page is fine. It also works quite well with links -g using directfb, while other sites typically require scripts to be enabled to see content properly.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd support a new Gentoo design only as long as it doesn't end up looking like the bland default Bootstrap theme.
lordalbert
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm not referring to homepage (sorry, probably i expressed myself badly), but in particular to the wiki (the documentation part).

For example (i take a random page), http://www.funtoo.org/Xfce look and feel more clear and usable than http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Xfce (also if in funtoo wiki there isn't ToC)
I dont' mean to copy that template! :D Also i think a cleaner interface will improve readabilty and usability of documentation.

This is only my opinion, and i know that can differ from others. I only ask what do you think about it! ;)
arnvidr
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, the funtoo wiki looks good, although it really needs a ToC, and the "extra clicks to get to the options" menu at the top is really annoying. I'm sure you could get the gentoo wiki to pretty much the same look with some css, as I think the layout is great as it is.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's some styling what you want, you can always use Stylish, Greasemokey or something like that.

There are already some styles for some gentoo sites around:

https://userstyles.org/styles/browse?search_terms=gentoo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gentoo.org tells me that it's complicated old and bloated I do like gentoo though. .org feels like my companys internal site "work for a big global company" so it's not praise ;)

I like https://www.archlinux.org/ homepage, simple and inituitive, everything feels connected theres no sence of information overload or wrong information. slackware.com is also ok

Generally it feels like all the big and old distributions have bloated complicated websites
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lordalbert wrote:
i'm not referring to homepage (sorry, probably i expressed myself badly), but in particular to the wiki (the documentation part).

For example (i take a random page), http://www.funtoo.org/Xfce look and feel more clear and usable than http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Xfce (also if in funtoo wiki there isn't ToC)
I dont' mean to copy that template! :D Also i think a cleaner interface will improve readabilty and usability of documentation.

This is only my opinion, and i know that can differ from others. I only ask what do you think about it! ;)

I disagree: the Gentoo version is much lighter-weight, without js, from where I'm sitting.

The most I'd change, is to stop the headings being italic, as that looks crap.
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
I disagree: the Gentoo version is much lighter-weight, without js, from where I'm sitting.

The most I'd change, is to stop the headings being italic, as that looks crap.

I agree with you. I find the Gentoo Wiki layout easier to read and assimilate than the Funtoo layout.

Fitzcarraldo's blog
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: ><)))°€ Reply with quote

I much, much prefer the current Gentoo style of the wikki.

I even like the current main-site and the forums! I do hope they never change towards the everything-is-huge-and-designed-for-hand-helds, and if that can't be avoided, there better be options for the old 'themes' or I'll start a (peaceful) riot!

That being said, I always like having options and alternatives, so additional styles would always be welcome. I imagine there's only need for someone to do it (although like i92guboj mentioned, there are ways to do it already for oneself), just like there is a need for someone to update the forums from phpBB 2.0.23-gentoo-p11.
Maffblaster
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it's important to to modernize the look of both Gentoo.org and the wiki. Here's my reasoning:

1. It shows the general public there is active development and special care going into the distribution at all levels. This is more important than it might seem to old(er) Gentoo users. Sure, anyone could look at the repositories on GitHub, etc. to see there is work going on, but someone "looking into" Gentoo as a viable OS is not going to be looking at source code repositories.

2. The web changes over time because software changes over time. HTML5 exists now. There is much better media support on the web than there was 7 years ago. Browsers have many more features than they used to. The web has always changed and will continue to do so as software continues to change. Many websites take those changes into consideration and generate small tweaks and changes to the overall looks and feels of the site. Many existing Gentoo users have essentially memorized the layout of Gentoo.org and can find things quickly; however just because they can doesn't mean new users will be able to find things quickly. I, for example, used to have trouble finding various items of interest in the links box on the left hand side. It's a simple list, but I think it could be made more intuitive. Any change will probably come as a shock to long time users, but it might (overall) be a good thing. :wink:

3. Hardware changes over time. This is one (among other) of the reasons the web/software changes over time. Many people to a lot of reading on their mobiles devices (phones). I think, in order to maintain relevance with upcoming generations of computer users, Gentoo sites should take this into consideration. For example, a while ago I asked Sven to generate a version of Linux Sea in .epub format (which he was swift to accomplish) so that I could read it on my Kindle. The Kindle is a device that didn't exist 7 years ago.

4. Societies change over time. People want to be able to quickly and effortlessly find what they are looking for. That's why search on the web is such a lucrative business and explains why many sites appear simpler (more block-like) than they did in the earlier web.. People don't want to have to think in order to get the information they are looking for; they just want to get it. Does that say something about the person? Yes, but it also says something about the world we live in. I'm not advocating to change the layout of gentoo.org, but I think it could use a face lift. An example, although not gentoo.org, is the "Gentoo discussion forums" graphic at the head of this page. On my monitor (which is not high resolution, but enough to notice) it looks very grainy, unprofessional, and old. An .svg graphic would be great!

It looks like there is already a(n) (inactive) repository in the works to update the look and feel of gentoo.org: https://github.com/gentoo/tyrian

Also, if you take a look here, you can see a nice look on the infra-status website: http://infra-status.gentoo.org/

Just a few thoughts. My purpose is not to be deconstructive; I'm just making observations. Thanks for reading. :)

Last edited by Maffblaster on Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Wallsandfences
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for me, the gentoo pages have an almost unbelievable amount of info and data available. And top quality.
Having said that, visually they are behind that standard. A bare minimum would be a responsive design (renders differently on different devices). Personally, i can surely live with the status quo. But better would be better 8)

But I really like Gnome 3, so I'm probably representing a minority here.. :roll:

Rüdiger
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It shows the general public there is active development and special care going into the distribution at all levels.

That's a nice thought, but it's simply not true. Sure, there is a lot of active development going on, but certainly not at all levels.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maffblaster wrote:
I believe it's important to to modernize the look of both Gentoo.org and the wiki. Here's my reasoning:

1. It shows the general public there is active development and special care going into the distribution at all levels. This is more important than it might seem to old(er) Gentoo users. Sure, anyone could look at the repositories on GitHub, etc. to see there is work going on, but someone "looking into" Gentoo as a viable OS is not going to be looking at source code repositories.

That's a stupid reason, afaic. Anyone who's that superficial isn't going to enjoy a Gentoo install, ime.
Quote:
2. The web changes over time because software changes over time. HTML5 exists now. There is much better media support on the web than there was 7 years ago. Browsers have many more features than they used to. The web has always changed and will continue to do so as software continues to change. Many websites take those changes into consideration and generate small tweaks and changes to the overall looks and feels of the site.

Trouble is we don't want any of those new "features"; scripting in particular cannot be required. And let's be honest, much of the new-fangled stuff is about scripting, as are all those "tweaks and changes" people keep throwing into their sites.

The point is that you don't need a fancy site to present simple information in a format that people can get their head around quickly, and most cogently won't distract them with bells and whistles when they're stuck in an install.

If you were talking about making the sites work better with a text-based browser, then you'd be onto something. As is you're just talking the usual "Web-2.0" nonsense, afaict, which does nothing for the actual content, and merely bangs on about the sizzle, not the sausage.
Quote:
Many existing Gentoo users have essentially memorized the layout of Gentoo.org and can find things quickly; however just because they can doesn't mean new users will be able to find things quickly. I, for example, used to have trouble finding various items of interest in the links box on the left hand side. It's a simple list, but I think it could be made more intuitive. Any change will probably come as a shock to long time users, but it might (overall) be a good thing.

That's a big "might", and it seems predicated on your one anecdotal bad experience, with "a simple list" that you concede many regulars have already memorised.

I think the mismatch is that you expect websites to do everything for the user, whereas running a Gentoo install is all about using your own initiative. Finding out what links are the ones you want, and always go to, so bookmark for yourself at first, and later keep handy so you can give them to others, is all part of the process, and goes on against a background of several months of learning to maintain a Gentoo install.

No amount of hand-holding, nor visual (and other not so desirable) tweaks is going to change that; and the simple, information-rich sites are exactly what is needed for people in those circumstances; often in a text console because they forgot to run dispatch-conf, or w/e.
Quote:
3. Hardware changes over time. This is one (among other) of the reasons the web/software changes over time. Many people to a lot of reading on their mobiles devices (phones). I think, in order to maintain relevance with upcoming generations of computer users, Gentoo sites should take this into consideration.

By all means provide some alternative CSS stylesheets and the media selectors based on screen-size then. That doesn't require any changes to anything else, though.
Quote:
4. Societies change over time. People want to be able to quickly and effortlessly find what they are looking for. That's why search on the web is such a lucrative business and explains why many sites appear simpler (more block-like) than they did in the earlier web.. People don't want to have to think in order to get the information they are looking for; they just want to get it. Does that say something about the person? Yes, but it also says something about the world we live in.

So what? It's irrelevant to us, as outlined above. The whole of the above paragraph reads like corporate bulshytt to me, with no disrespect to you.
Quote:
I'm not advocating to change the layout of gentoo.org, but I think it could use a face lift. An example, although not gentoo.org, is the "Gentoo discussion forums" graphic at the head of this page. On my monitor (which is not high resolution, but enough to notice) it looks very grainy, unprofessional, and old. An .svg graphic would be great!

I'm all for some new CSS and an SVG graphic sounds nice. Other than that, you need to rein in your scope, imo.

"Look and feel" are usually codewords for "let's add lots of js to make it 'feel' modern" which is wrong on so many levels.

So let me be clear: no javascript. Simple clean CSS, that degrades gracefully. And make it work nicely in a text-browser first and foremost, as that is how you build accessible sites.
avx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
Simple clean CSS, that degrades gracefully. And make it work nicely in a text-browser first and foremost.
Can't stress that enough.

What's up with all the fancy stuff nowadays? In the best case, these funky designs add some eyecandy, worst case is that they've got horrific accessibility(there are people with screenreaders and similar tech which a community focused on being open to all participants should let alone just for some spiffy design). Heck, I know people who prefer to read the newsPAPER because the websites are horribly broken.

Black text/white background(or reversed for people needing higher contrast), sane fontsizes (I don't want to zoom just because I'm not the youngest), some decent styling (in terms of placement) and that's good enough for me.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
"Look and feel" are usually codewords for "let's add lots of js to make it 'feel' modern" which is wrong on so many levels.

So let me be clear: no javascript. Simple clean CSS, that degrades gracefully. And make it work nicely in a text-browser first and foremost, as that is how you build accessible sites.

+1

This site needs to work well in lynx/links [-g]/elinks - because people WILL be using those to access it.
lordalbert
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What i mean in the first post, is an

Readable, Accessible, Clean, Simple interface.

So i don't understand who critics the new redesign, becouse he doesn't want javascript or so on.

I don't speak about javascript. I don't speak about complex interface. I don't speak about a complex and bad interface.

I speak about a minimal interface (in which the text/content is the core of the page! Nothing else).

Apart of that.... is there nowaday users that use links?! 8O
What are the advanced in comparison with gui web browser? (midori, firefox, rekonq, opera, chrome, whatYouWant)

I found the page displayed by text-browser not readable. Is not clear the distinction between content and menu. (and i use i3 window manager, so i'm using cli-object)[/b]
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lordalbert wrote:
What are the advanced in comparison with gui web browser? (midori, firefox, rekonq, opera, chrome, whatYouWant)

links exists on the livecd. A GUI does not.
lordalbert
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:
lordalbert wrote:

links exists on the livecd. A GUI does not.

mmm... i suggest to change it! :P
Or use another livecd :D
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not everyone has the luxury of access to a machine strong enough to run those while installing Gentoo, either.

For a source-based distro, it would be nice to maintain the status quo of having system requirements lower than Microsoft windows.
lordalbert
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:
Not everyone has the luxury of access to a machine strong enough to run those while installing Gentoo, either.

For a source-based distro, it would be nice to maintain the status quo of having system requirements lower than Microsoft windows.

Or give the choice: links OR a lightweight gui. IMHO.

But it is offtopic.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lordalbert wrote:

Yes, that's what I originally posted in support of doing. I'm glad we agree then.
avx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lordalbert wrote:
There's a choice already, the minimal CD comes with links, the live DVD brings a full GUI system with (IIRC) firefox and if that still isn't good enough, just use a live CD/DVD of another distro.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lordalbert wrote:

So i don't understand who critics the new redesign, becouse he doesn't want javascript or so on.

I don't speak about javascript. I don't speak about complex interface. I don't speak about a complex and bad interface.

I speak about a minimal interface (in which the text/content is the core of the page! Nothing else).

Which is what we already have.

You started off talking about a "new simple and clear theme", and then when we dug a little further it turned out you thought the funtoo site an example of what to emulate.

Like I said, I don't like their sites in preference to Gentoo ones, which work much better ime.
Quote:

So much for "minimal interfaces"; here you are questioning the very basis. Typical "Web-2.0" thinking.
Quote:
I found the page displayed by text-browser not readable. Is not clear the distinction between content and menu. (and i use i3 window manager, so i'm using cli-object)[/b]

Yes, so just like the links you couldn't remember, now everyone else has to use a GUI browser, because you.

Sorry, but afaic you are the wrong person to do this work. I used to teach Web-design (DHTML, CSS, and JS) many years ago, and you appear much like a typical beginning student to me: convinced that everything has to be full of bells-and-whistles that they just learnt about, or it's not "hawt."

Gentoo users are in the main, the wrong crowd for that. We might like sexy design and graphics in our games, and our desktops, but when it comes to websites, content is the only thing that counts, irrespective of what the latest versions of HTML and CSS are.
jonathan183
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lordalbert wrote:

As I said in my original reply I use links in graphics mode, in text mode menu items are bold. Using links in graphic mode in a framebuffer display is quick, means I don't need to run X, and means I don't need to worry about code execution. You used Funtoo as an example and I told you why I preferred the Gentoo site layout - in my opinion it is readable, accessible and simple. Try accessing both sites using links and you can see for yourself.

I also sometimes use firefox but compared with links it is slow. Actually it can be painfully slow on some of the systems I use - especially if I am running a system update/virus scan or something else which uses sufficient of system resources. I don't want to be forced into using X and something like firefox when accessing the Gentoo website, especially since I may only have a cli available.

I have a few live CD/DVDs and they are useful especially for a new system install or if the installed system will not boot, but I should not be forced into using one with X just to fix an issue when pulling up information in links is quick and easy (especially if I can run a framebuffer graphics version). Switching back and forth between a live CD and the installed system to check things out and post information is also not ideal.

You see a problem and something in need of improvement ... I see something which works already and the example site you pointed to is no better or actually worse in my opinion ...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: