View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheLexx
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:24 am    Post subject: Good non-Gnome GUI IMAP mail client Reply with quote

I'm looking for a good and non-Gnome GUI IMAP mail client that does not bring in a huge dependency tree. I was rather annoyed as some mail clients that have to bring in weather apps and calender apps just to read my frigging email.

At the same, I am looking for a client that can make complex selections. An example is, "I want to throw out all mail coming from daily@updates.com that are over two weeks old, but keep everything newer.". I want to be able to use expressions like this so I don't have to check and uncheck a butt-load of boxes.
franzf
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably net-mail/notmuch could be interesting for you. It's a very fast mail indexer with support for tagging. There are many user interfaces, most of them for the terminal. Recently astroid popped up, a gtk3 + webkit-gtk-based frontend for notmuch - probably what you were looking for (don't know how you define "non-Gnome")?

It would quite easily solve your problem with moving away those daily@updates.com mails. Simply remove inbox and unread tag and those mails won't show up in normal searches ("archive" mails). You can then run a cronjob that removes those mails from disc.
Code:
normuch search --output=files from:daily@updates.com and not is:unread

will give you the files.
(append "and date:..14d" to the search term to get mails older then 14 days)
Or just use afew and it's capabilities to Move mails. You could move archived daily@updates mails into your Trash folder.
Afew in general is a good solution to automatically apply tags to mails based on certain criteria - mailing lists, certain headers or plain queries.
ManDay
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy asked for a graphical IMAP client and you suggest notmuch et al? The Midori guys used to have one lightweight GTK client (rather lightweight, I'd say, compared to evolution et al) - I'm not sure it's still being developed, though. It appears to have vanished from twotoasts.de.
franzf
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManDay wrote:
The guy asked for a graphical IMAP client and you suggest notmuch et al?

That's why I mentioned astroid. As he mentions "complex selections" it really could fit his needs.

And why the hell is it forbidden to mention text based solutions only because he requests a graphical IMAP client? He probably doesn't know about notmuch, and probably he likes one of the console clients? They usually work out of the box, at least for searching your mails, so testing different clients is just a command away...
The Doctor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if this is completely not what you where looking for, but thunderbird is a fairly nice mail client. It isn't tied to any DE, although its dependencies could be either heavy or light depending on what your definition is.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
keet
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thunderbird, even by itself, has rather heavy compilation requirements and takes a while to compile.
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claws Mail is my favorite for GUI (will do IMAP), Pine for CLI.
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are also sylpheed and claws-mail. (The latter is derived/forked from the former..)
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, claws is pretty good. Looks and feels like it's still a gtk1 program, but that also means it only has about as many deps as one, and has a stable workflow.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claws is quite featureful, while not being a do-it-all monolith.

Everything not directly related to managing mail is done via a plugin.

Its filtering system is quite advanced and I would be surprised if you can't find a way to do all you need with it.

Another option is to use something old-school, such as fetchmail/procmail, then you can read the inbox with any GUI you like and you won't need to re-configure your rules if you change GUI someday.
Dorsai!
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this is for you:
http://trojita.flaska.net/

It is exactly what you asked for. A (very) lightweight IMAP client.

It is not a full blown mail suite though! If you want that I suggest you try claws as other already suggested as well.
TheLexx
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx all for the suggestions. That gives me something to look over. I tried Evolution back in 2011 or so and it looked cool, but I did not like all the dependencies. Now I hear that gnome is trying to make everyone that wants to use it switch to systemd. So now, I may be dropping Gnome stuff to avoid systemd.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: