Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
thunderbird IMAP account creation problem (password issue?)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
equaeghe
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:38 pm    Post subject: thunderbird IMAP account creation problem (password issue?) Reply with quote

I’m running stable Thunderbird 24.2.0 on mostly stable amd64 system.

I cannot create any new IMAP account. The wizard works, but instead of creating the account, the wizard window does not disappear after hitting the ‘create account’ button (or whatever it is called in English). I discovered that I could bypass this issue by not giving my password in the Wizard window (and so not storing it yet... was the idea): the account is created, but actually I cannot fetch new mail, because no password is ever asked, and the connection times out.

Creating the same account in another client works perfectly.

Any help and suggestions appreciated.

TIA,

Erik
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always had problems with Thunderbird's wizard autoconfig thingie, it's stupid, assumes a lot and then breaks when the assumption is not met. I had problems with the UI not allowing me to enter the manual mode easily and specify the connection type which isn't that complicated really. I just don't use smtp. pop3. or imap. subdomains because I don't want to pay for wildcard certs for those and I do enforce encryption. In 2014 Thunderbird should really be aware of that and have such settings as defaults. It would also break on network hiccups with long timeouts and inabilty to stop current action / failed connection without restart or sometimes killall because it would stop responding. Too sad, I really liked it before. Then again, afaik it's unmaintained upstream (except bug/security fixes), so...

I've meanwhile moved away from it, using only Roundcube based webmail on my server, and smartphone, but I guess that's not helpful to your problem. Other than that, try to enter the manual setup mode and supply proper host, username, pass and protocol yourself.
equaeghe
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrueXYZ wrote:
[...], try to enter the manual setup mode and supply proper host, username, pass and protocol yourself.

That, I tried... without success.

Using KMail as a stopgap. Better than I thought, but UI-wise and functionality-wise lacking quite a bit still (no IMAP labels, no conversation view, no merged special mailboxes,...).

Any further ideas appreciated.
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

equaeghe wrote:
That, I tried... without success.

Well the question is, why is that? You really have only a few options to take care of:

1. Server hostname, is probably yourdomain.com and if that's a cPanel server, you might also have mail.yourdomain.com, but I suggest the one in the SSL cert, if you have one, probably yourdomain.com, unless instructed differently by your server admin
2. Username, which is usually the full e-mail address, unless your mail server has a different setup, in which case you need to ask your admin which is it
3. Password
4. Protocol. Incoming: IMAP or POP3? Outgoing: SMTP
5. Encryption, SSL/TLS? STARTTLS? These define the ports used below, I suggest SSL/TLS as STARTTLS will start unencrypted and attempt encryption which is a bit unreliable, depending on the server config, if it doesn't enforce encryption, you might connect unencrypted thinking it is encrypted, because there's no error reported
6. Ports, depend on encryption. SSL/TLS requires dedicated ports, STARTTLS uses the ordinary protocol port. POP3 110 (995 w/ SSL/TLS), IMAP 143 (993 w/ SSL/TLS), SMTP 25 (465 w/ SSL/TLS), but 25 might be blocked by your ISP, so try 587 (submission) instead of 25 (and it also accepts STARTTLS)
7. Auth type: plaintext, unless your server specifically says otherwise

And that's pretty much it. The ports should be set automatically depending on protocol and encryption selected, but you never know, so make sure the proper are set up. Then the question is whether the server side is okay. Services running? SSL certs valid? Firewall open? Account exists and configured properly?
equaeghe
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrueXYZ wrote:

Well the question is, why is that? You really have only a few options to take care of:

1. Server hostname, is probably yourdomain.com and if that's a cPanel server, you might also have mail.yourdomain.com, but I suggest the one in the SSL cert, if you have one, probably yourdomain.com, unless instructed differently by your server admin
2. Username, which is usually the full e-mail address, unless your mail server has a different setup, in which case you need to ask your admin which is it
3. Password
4. Protocol. Incoming: IMAP or POP3? Outgoing: SMTP
5. Encryption, SSL/TLS? STARTTLS? These define the ports used below, I suggest SSL/TLS as STARTTLS will start unencrypted and attempt encryption which is a bit unreliable, depending on the server config, if it doesn't enforce encryption, you might connect unencrypted thinking it is encrypted, because there's no error reported
6. Ports, depend on encryption. SSL/TLS requires dedicated ports, STARTTLS uses the ordinary protocol port. POP3 110 (995 w/ SSL/TLS), IMAP 143 (993 w/ SSL/TLS), SMTP 25 (465 w/ SSL/TLS), but 25 might be blocked by your ISP, so try 587 (submission) instead of 25 (and it also accepts STARTTLS)
7. Auth type: plaintext, unless your server specifically says otherwise

And that's pretty much it. The ports should be set automatically depending on protocol and encryption selected, but you never know, so make sure the proper are set up. Then the question is whether the server side is okay. Services running? SSL certs valid? Firewall open? Account exists and configured properly?

Well, as I indicated, I can create the account with other mail clients. It is just that Thunderbird has (seemingly) a problem with passwords. I’d hoped that somebody would have encountered the same issue and was able to solve it.
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My point was, unless checked carefully, thunderbird tends to change these things, like adding subdomains to host, or not flipping port when different encryption option is used. AFAIK, you can't change the proto, that's baked in when you created the account.

Edit: also, there's that "My server requires authentication", see that it is checked.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: