3 pythons
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thor_n
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject: 3 pythons Reply with quote

Why do I need 3 instances of python?

On my system I've got:
dev-lang/python-2.7.7
dev-lang/python-3.3.5-r1
dev-lang/python-3.4.1

Can someone explain? Or point me to some python doc/wiki to get some insight into why there are so many pythons.

Only while ago there were 2 of them (2.7 and 3.3) and now there are 3. What for?
Can I get rid of at least one of those?
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, your safe to remove the 3.4 for now; since support for that is still masked.

I'd love to see us remove 2.7, but that won't be happening for a long time, because too many packages never updated to use python 3 yet.
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has gotten ridiculous indeed. You probably only need python:2.7. I would suggest to remove both 3.3 and 3.4, unless you have a package that hard-depends on them and doesn't work with python:2.7.
thor_n
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But could perhaps someone from python herd mask it for us (riding the stable wave)?

I would manually mask it in my /etc/portage/package.mask then forget about it and when the time comes to update from 2.7 I'd be confused about what's going on.
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I doubt python 2.7 will be going away any time soon. Sadly, there's several packages that still depend on python 2.7 (they never been updated to work with 3+ yet). The nice part is, even if you forget about it, portage will let you know when it's time to update python. Portage will tell you directly, if a package depends on python-3+. Then there's the usual news update from portage that will more likely mention 2.7 is getting ready to be masked.
jburns
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are packages that depend on python 3. It is also nice to have more than one version of python to handle the case where a python update breaks portage and switching the active version allows portage to work.
lotuskip
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inspired by yngwin's post above, I decided to remove my python3. This lead to strange discoveries that I wish to share. (I'm still new with gentoo and portage, which might show.)

At first, python3 couldn't be removed. The output from emerge baffled me:
Code:

dev-lang/python-3.3.5-r1 pulled in by:
    sys-apps/portage-2.2.8-r2 requires >=dev-lang/python-2.7, >=dev-lang/python-2.7[ssl]
    x11-libs/libxcb-1.10 requires >=dev-lang/python-3.3.2-r2:3.3[xml]

The portage line makes no sense. It requires python >= 2.7 so it pulls in 3.3? I also failed to understand how libxcb, a C library, came to require python.

In fact it looked like a portage update wanted to pull in a third python for me, too. So I peeked at the USE flags for portage:
Code:

USE="(ipc) -build -doc -epydoc (-pypy2_0) -python2 -python3 (-selinux) -xattr" ABI_X86="64" LINGUAS="-ru" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 (-pypy2_0) -python2_6 -python3_2 -python3_3 -python3_4"

I generally dislike python and have a global "-python" in my make.conf, which might be why you see both -python2 and -python3 there. Apparently this is a problem. I suspect that emerge gets confused by neither python being wanted and in consequence pulls in all possible pythons. Besides "-python" under USE, my make.conf has
Code:

PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7"

Anyhow, everything was fixed when I added
/etc/portage/package.use:
sys-apps/portage python2

and re-emerged portage. Now python-3.3.5 could be removed and apparently, whaddayaknow, libxcb didn't depend on it anymore, either! I sort of feel like I stumbled on a bug.

On a different note,
jburns wrote:
... handle the case where a python update breaks portage and switching the active version allows portage to work.

This sounds terrible. Does that happen? Like, regularly?
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lotuskip wrote:
On a different note,
jburns wrote:
... handle the case where a python update breaks portage and switching the active version allows portage to work.

This sounds terrible. Does that happen? Like, regularly?

No; it's never happened to me once (crosses fingers.) But then I automatically rebuild portage whenever python is installed, and have never needed to reinstall python.

There's a PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET variable as well, btw; it just selects which python you want when a package only works with one. Not that you need it atm, but it might be worth bearing in mind. A good hint is to use portageq to check what's currently in play:
Code:
$ portageq envvar PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET
python2_7
as quite often you don't need to set anything specific yourself (and it's better just to follow the tree/profile.)
jburns
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with a bad version of python breaking portage happened to me once and there was only a small window of time when the bad version was available

Portage having both -python2 and -python3 means that portage is built for both python2 and python3 if they are both specified in PYTHON_TARGETS.
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thor_n wrote:
But could perhaps someone from python herd mask it for us (riding the stable wave)?

That's not going to happen, because they think python-3 is the bee's knees.
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jburns wrote:
It is also nice to have more than one version of python to handle the case where a python update breaks portage and switching the active version allows portage to work.

I have been using Gentoo since 2002, and have not come across that even once.
luismw
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going further: besides having three versions of python, what's up with the recent changes in the default PYTHON_TARGETS?

Last sunday, it was set to Python 3.4, so all the python packages were rebuilt. The next day, after syncing, it went back to Python 3.3, and I have kept from reemerging in the hope that maybe we get back to 3.4.
Aiken
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luismw wrote:
Going further: besides having three versions of python, what's up with the recent changes in the default PYTHON_TARGETS?

I am curious about this as well. The news item regarding the removal of 3.3 has been removed. I also have many computers wanting to reinstall 3.3 after removing it a few days ago.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh I have to admit I hate the way PYTHON is handled; even more so now that the same "thinking" has been applied to multilib, where I really cannot stand the verbiage.
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was glad to find this thread...python has been annoying the crap out of me lately and I was thinking about starting a thread around the whole thing. I'm not sure I've really ever understood the way it's handled. I have no PYTHON_TARGETS related stuff in my make.conf...does that mean it's determined based on eselect?

Here's what I have:

Code:
eselect python list
Available Python interpreters:
  [1]   python2.7 *
  [2]   python3.3
  [3]   python3.4

eselect python list --python3
Available Python 3 interpreters:
  [1]   python3.3 *
  [2]   python3.4

I'm assuming that the latter means that, if a package can use python 3 it'll currently use 3.3(??).

In any case, it all seems to be quite a mess. The longest part of my update today was a re-compile of dev-libs/boost (something I'd love to do without itsellf, but I need for app-office/libreoffice-bin). and the recompile was purely because of python:
Code:
[ebuild   R    ] dev-libs/boost-1.52.0-r7:0/1.52  USE="nls threads -debug -doc -icu -mpi -python -static-libs -tools" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_3 (-python3_2%)" 0 kB

I'd love to just can python 3 as well, or at least have just one of them.

Tom
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tld wrote:
I was glad to find this thread...python has been annoying the crap out of me lately and I was thinking about starting a thread around the whole thing. I'm not sure I've really ever understood the way it's handled. I have no PYTHON_TARGETS related stuff in my make.conf...does that mean it's determined based on eselect?

Here's what I have:

Code:
eselect python list
  [1]   python2.7 *
  [2]   python3.3
  [3]   python3.4

eselect python list --python3
Available Python 3 interpreters:
  [1]   python3.3 *
  [2]   python3.4

I'm assuming that the latter means that, if a package can use python 3 it'll currently use 3.3(??).

In any case, it all seems to be quite a mess. The longest part of my update today was a re-compile of dev-libs/boost (something I'd love to do without itsellf, but I need for app-office/libreoffice-bin). and the recompile was purely because of python:
Code:
[ebuild   R    ] dev-libs/boost-1.52.0-r7:0/1.52  USE="nls threads -debug -doc -icu -mpi -python -static-libs -tools" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_3 (-python3_2%)" 0 kB

I'd love to just can python 3 as well, or at least have just one of them.

Tom

for your setup py27 is the default.
If the shebang calls for a py3 then py33 is your default.

it is still a neater solution than binary distro's (renaming the bin, editing the shebang [ note gentoo does rename the python binary from python to python2.7 but at least it is a bit finer than just python2 ...])

Code:

eselect python list
  [1]   python2.7
  [2]   python3.3 *
  [3]   python3.4

I would like to move over to 34 (as I am using that for my personal stuff) but right now I cant (iirc)

Code:

cat /etc/portage/package.use/py27
media-gfx/inkscape python_targets_python2_7 python_single_target_python2_7
net-analyzer/ntop python_targets_python2_7 python_single_target_python2_7
media-gfx/gimp python_targets_python2_7 python_single_target_python2_7
app-i18n/ibus python_targets_python2_7 python_single_target_python2_7
dev-vcs/git python_targets_python2_7 python_single_target_python2_7
dev-util/glade python_targets_python2_7 python_single_target_python2_7
media-libs/alsa-lib python_targets_python2_7 python_single_target_python2_7
net-print/cups python_targets_python2_7 python_single_target_python2_7
net-print/hplip python_targets_python2_7 python_single_target_python2_7
gnome-extra/cinnamon python_targets_python2_7 python_single_target_python2_7
dev-libs/gobject-introspection python_targets_python2_7 python_single_target_python2_7
dev-util/itstool python_targets_python2_7 python_single_target_python2_7
sys-libs/talloc python_targets_python2_7 python_single_target_python2_7
media-gfx/graphviz python_targets_python2_7 python_single_target_python2_7
sys-libs/tdb python_targets_python2_7 python_single_target_python2_7
dev-java/antlr python_targets_python2_7 python_single_target_python2_7
net-analyzer/net-snmp python_targets_python2_7 python_single_target_python2_7
sys-libs/tevent python_targets_python2_7 python_single_target_python2_7
app-text/asciidoc python_targets_python2_7 python_single_target_python2_7
app-admin/system-config-printer-gnome python_targets_python2_7 python_single_target_python2_7
app-admin/system-config-printer-common python_targets_python2_7 python_single_target_python2_7
dev-util/gtk-doc python_targets_python2_7 python_single_target_python2_7
dev-libs/libdbusmenu python_targets_python2_7 python_single_target_python2_7
app-emulation/playonlinux python_targets_python2_7 python_single_target_python2_7

only 25 packages needing python27 though so not far off
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: