"emerge --sync" corrupted make.profile
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShadowOne333
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:34 pm    Post subject: "emerge --sync" corrupted make.profile Reply with quote

Good day, community.

I happen to have a modified version of Gentoo (quite old) in work.
It is being treated by a different distribution name, but is still Gentoo nevertheless.

The problem is that I tried to update Gentoo by doing "emerge --sync".
The emerge failed because it said: (constains .SVN)

After that I tried doing:
emerge-webrsync.

It did well, downloaded and updated packages.
Problem was when it was done emerging and installed everything...

I could no longer emerge ANYTHING at all.
Upon a little research, I found out that the profile got corrupted (make.profile didn't even open, Gentoo listed it as corrupted)

Even if I did "eselect" to whatever profile I got listed, it ended up not emerging anything.

My solution was to install everything all over again from scratch...
But I still have a lot of issues trying to emerge some packages because of the obsolete versions listed in Portage.
Some packages are not found or the link is dead by now.

My question is:
How can I safely update or "emerge --sync" without running into the make.profile being corrupted once again?

Take into consideration that the computer with Gentoo installed is NOT MINE, is the one I use in my job and if I end up with another corrupted profile, i would have to do the installation all over again...
Not counting all the packages I have been updating manually with ebuilds.
This means a lot of wasted time and perhaps an angry boss. :P

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated!
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just how old is the install, portage version, profile? if it is more than a year old, you might consider backing up the data, world file, maybe some /etc and do a complete new install.

Post your "emerge --info" here so we can see. There is also some other threads in this forum where they have done the painful process of updating an old system. Gentoo is a moving target, if you wait too long to update, it can be very difficult to upgrade.
wrc1944
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowOne333,
I would respectfully advise you (or anyone else) to follow dol-sen's sound advice.
Quote:
Gentoo is a moving target, if you wait too long to update, it can be very difficult to upgrade.

He puts it very mildly in regard to the level of difficulty. I just did this, and it was an endless 2-day nightmare of stubborn blockages, complex incomprehensible conflicts both in the world file, tricky /etc/portage mask, USE, keyword, unmask config files mysteries, package versions and profiles creating virtually impossible circular dep problems' inability to run --depclean or upgrade portage within old (or new) profiles, etc., etc.

You name it, I encountered it. I finally succeeded, but it was by far the most difficult and frustrating undertaking I've ever attempted in 12 years of running many different multiple Gentoo ~Arch installations.

Believe me, it's not worth the effort or time. If you still wish to go the "update" path, take a look at my brief summary of what I ran into at the bottom of this thread: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-988038-highlight-.html

Again, better to just backup any needed data from the old install, and reinstall.

Good luck! :wink:
OpenRC Gentoo ~amd64 plasma, glibc-2.36-r7, gcc-13.2.1_p20230304
kernel-6.8.4 USE=experimental python3_11
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll also second on what wrc1944 said; as I too have done the difficult path of upgrading a old gentoo installation. For me, it ended up taking longer to update that old system, than it does reinstalling Gentoo using a backed up config. I believe for me, I had to do the one big NO-NO in gentoo, installing a package outside of portage's control, as a stepping stone to work my way up. Even now, I don't recommend on updating such a old copy to anyone; as it's going to be a very painful process.
ShadowOne333
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many, many thanks for all the responses.
Indeed, I have read that upgrading if I have more than a year old Gentoo will be a difficult task to achieve.

dol-sen wrote:
Just how old is the install, portage version, profile? if it is more than a year old, you might consider backing up the data, world file, maybe some /etc and do a complete new install.

Post your "emerge --info" here so we can see. There is also some other threads in this forum where they have done the painful process of updating an old system. Gentoo is a moving target, if you wait too long to update, it can be very difficult to upgrade.

Here's the emerge --info

Code:
emerge --info
!!! Repository 'x-portage' is missing masters attribute in '/usr/local/portage/metadata/layout.conf'
!!! Set 'masters = gentoo' in this file for future compatibility
Portage 2.2.8-r2 (default/linux/x86/10.0/desktop/gnome, gcc-4.5.3, glibc-2.14.1-r3, 3.3.8-samurai-r2+ i686)
=================================================================
System uname: Linux-3.3.8-samurai-r2+-i686-Intel-R-_Core-TM-2_Duo_CPU_T5670_@_1.80GHz-with-gentoo-2.1
KiB Mem:     3100600 total,   1542180 free
KiB Swap:     499708 total,    499708 free
Timestamp of tree: Fri, 07 Sep 2012 00:45:01 +0000
ld GNU ld (GNU Binutils) 2.21.1
app-shells/bash:          4.2_p37
dev-lang/python:          2.7.3-r2::x-portage, 3.2.3, 3.4.2::x-portage
dev-util/cmake:           2.8.8-r3::x-portage
dev-util/pkgconfig:       0.27.1::x-portage
sys-apps/baselayout:      2.1-r1
sys-apps/openrc:          0.9.8.4
sys-devel/autoconf:       2.13, 2.68::x-portage
sys-devel/automake:       1.11.6::x-portage
sys-devel/binutils:       2.21.1-r1
sys-devel/gcc:            4.5.3-r2
sys-devel/gcc-config:     1.6
sys-devel/libtool:        2.4-r1::x-portage
sys-devel/make:           3.82-r1
sys-kernel/linux-headers: 3.1 (virtual/os-headers)
sys-libs/glibc:           2.14.1-r3
Repositories: gentoo x-portage
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
ACCEPT_LICENSE="* -@EULA"
CBUILD="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=prescott -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/share/gnupg/qualified.txt /usr/share/openvpn/easy-rsa"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/dconf /etc/env.d /etc/fonts/fonts.conf /etc/gconf /etc/gentoo-release /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/terminfo /etc/texmf/language.dat.d /etc/texmf/language.def.d /etc/texmf/updmap.d /etc/texmf/web2c"
CXXFLAGS="-march=prescott -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FCFLAGS="-O2 -march=i686 -pipe"
FEATURES="assume-digests binpkg-logs config-protect-if-modified distlocks ebuild-locks fixlafiles merge-sync news parallel-fetch preserve-libs protect-owned sandbox sfperms strict unknown-features-warn unmerge-logs unmerge-orphans userfetch userpriv usersandbox usersync"
FFLAGS="-O2 -march=i686 -pipe"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://distfiles.gentoo.org"
LANG="C"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --omit-dir-times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --human-readable --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage"
USE="X a52 aac acl acpi alsa berkdb bluetooth branding bzip2 cairo cdda cdr cli colord consolekit cracklib crypt cups cxx dbus dri dts dvd dvdr eds emboss encode evo exif fam firefox flac fortran gdbm gif gnome gnome-keyring gnome-online-accounts gpm gstreamer gtk iconv ieee1394 ipv6 jpeg lcms ldap libnotify mad mng modules mp3 mp4 mpeg mudflap nautilus ncurses nls nptl ogg opengl openmp pam pango pcre pdf png policykit ppds pppd pulseaudio qt3support readline sdl session socialweb spell ssl startup-notification svg tcpd tiff truetype udev udisks unicode upower usb v4l v4l2 vorbis wxwidgets x264 x86 xcb xml xv xvid zlib" ALSA_CARDS="ali5451 als4000 atiixp atiixp-modem bt87x ca0106 cmipci emu10k1 emu10k1x ens1370 ens1371 es1938 es1968 fm801 hda-intel intel8x0 intel8x0m maestro3 trident usb-audio via82xx via82xx-modem ymfpci" ALSA_PCM_PLUGINS="adpcm alaw asym copy dmix dshare dsnoop empty extplug file hooks iec958 ioplug ladspa lfloat linear meter mmap_emul mulaw multi null plug rate route share shm softvol" APACHE2_MODULES="actions alias auth_basic authn_alias authn_anon authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm authz_default authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache cgi cgid dav dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter file_cache filter headers include info log_config logio mem_cache mime mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias" CALLIGRA_FEATURES="kexi words flow plan sheets stage tables krita karbon braindump" CAMERAS="ptp2" COLLECTD_PLUGINS="df interface irq load memory rrdtool swap syslog" ELIBC="glibc" GPSD_PROTOCOLS="ashtech aivdm earthmate evermore fv18 garmin garmintxt gpsclock itrax mtk3301 nmea ntrip navcom oceanserver oldstyle oncore rtcm104v2 rtcm104v3 sirf superstar2 timing tsip tripmate tnt ubx" INPUT_DEVICES="evdev" KERNEL="linux" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" LIBREOFFICE_EXTENSIONS="presenter-console presenter-minimizer" PHP_TARGETS="php5-3" PYTHON_TARGETS="python3_2 python2_7" RUBY_TARGETS="ruby18 ruby19" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="intel" XTABLES_ADDONS="quota2 psd pknock lscan length2 ipv4options ipset ipp2p iface geoip fuzzy condition tee tarpit sysrq steal rawnat logmark ipmark dhcpmac delude chaos account"
Unset:  CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, INSTALL_MASK, LC_ALL, LINGUAS, PORTAGE_BUNZIP2_COMMAND, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS, SYNC, USE_PYTHON

When I emerge anything it says that the last sync was made more than 2 years ago.

wrc1944 wrote:

ShadowOne333,
I would respectfully advise you (or anyone else) to follow dol-sen's sound advice.
Quote:
Gentoo is a moving target, if you wait too long to update, it can be very difficult to upgrade.

He puts it very mildly in regard to the level of difficulty. I just did this, and it was an endless 2-day nightmare of stubborn blockages, complex incomprehensible conflicts both in the world file, tricky /etc/portage mask, USE, keyword, unmask config files mysteries, package versions and profiles creating virtually impossible circular dep problems' inability to run --depclean or upgrade portage within old (or new) profiles, etc., etc.

You name it, I encountered it. I finally succeeded, but it was by far the most difficult and frustrating undertaking I've ever attempted in 12 years of running many different multiple Gentoo ~Arch installations.

Believe me, it's not worth the effort or time. If you still wish to go the "update" path, take a look at my brief summary of what I ran into at the bottom of this thread: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-988038-highlight-.html

Again, better to just backup any needed data from the old install, and reinstall.

Good luck! :wink:

Seeing your post, it looks like a very similar issue than that of mine.
It might sounds a little bit simple, but could backing make.profile in another place, emerging and have that backup in case anything like that happens again?

I gotta be sure I don't run into that again since, as I said, it is my work's computer and not mine.
Screwing up again might end up in a 2 day stop of work.
Hate it that they use such an old version.
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just going over the main system packages listed on version wise; your in half way decent shape. In the part of, they are not too far off (by the versions in portage right now). While, I'm not going to recommend one way or another on attempting to update in place (I'll leave that to someone that is more saner than I am).

Personally, what I'd do if I was going to update it; is I'd bump in system tool chain in small version increments; working my way up so that chain is up to date. First version update, would get the tool chain to the oldest version (or closest version) available in portage (stable branch), just so everything on that is within the portage tree. Then I'd work slowly, going up the versions for all of those; till they were up to date. Note all of this is by updating each package individually and specifying the version I wanted; you will also end up recompiling the same packages numerous times. Your still going have to update dependencies too, while you work, but again; don't let portage just pick the version it want's; as it's only going to choose the newest version available, which good chance is going to cause numerous errors. Once your core system is updated, you could work on the rest of the system (individually once again), but shouldn't have to worry about versions as much. In some cases, in may be easier to work around dependency chains, by uninstalling the old package, and reinstalling them one at a time. I'd start with the important packages first, getting them up dated, and working your way down, to the lesser important ones.

Of course, before you do anything; be sure to back up your data. If you have a spare external HD available that is big enough, you could just back up your entire system to that for a fast recovery. In your case, I'd strongly suggest grabbing a spare external hd; and copy the entire system over to that (if you use, cp; be sure to specify to preserve all, to keep user:group info and stuff; this way if you screw up; you can restore the system quickly). (I have used, regular to cp, transfer a system from 1 hard drive to a new one; without any issues; and have yet to encounter an issue from doing that. But preserving user/group info, links, and file permissions is the key part that will help restoring the system.)
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, a minimum 2 year old system, but at least you have a new enough python and portage.

Quote:
(default/linux/x86/10.0/desktop/gnome
Those profiles have been deleted from the tree for some time now. You will need a 13 profile... mine is:
Code:
Portage 2.2.14 (python 3.3.5-final-0, default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop, gcc-4.8.3, glibc-2.19-r1, 3.16.1-gentoo x86_64)

If you are new to gentoo, go for the re-install, if you want to persevere,... there are users/ops here that can help. But gentoo's documentation is the best and it will be a lot easier, probably faster to re-install.
ShadowOne333
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dol-sen wrote:
Yeah, a minimum 2 year old system, but at least you have a new enough python and portage.

Quote:
(default/linux/x86/10.0/desktop/gnome
Those profiles have been deleted from the tree for some time now. You will need a 13 profile... mine is:
Code:
Portage 2.2.14 (python 3.3.5-final-0, default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop, gcc-4.8.3, glibc-2.19-r1, 3.16.1-gentoo x86_64)

If you are new to gentoo, go for the re-install, if you want to persevere,... there are users/ops here that can help. But gentoo's documentation is the best and it will be a lot easier, probably faster to re-install.

What would you recommend me to use so I can have the newest libraries and portage right from the get-go after installing Gentoo and Gnome?

Actually, Python and Portage were 2 of the packages I updated manually.
A pain in the arse, but I got them to work.

Yeah actually last time I updated I had profiles with 13.0 only, which might have been the reason as to why he profile was corrupted.

EDIT:
This is what I get when I try to --sync.

Code:
emerge --sync
>>> Synchronization of repository 'gentoo' located in '/usr/portage'...
!!! /usr/portage appears to be under revision control (contains .svn).
!!! Aborting rsync sync.
ShadowOne333
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to update using -webrsync and now I can emerge after the update by following the instructions by user i92guboj:
i92guboj wrote:
ShadowOne333, if you want we can test one thing, but I can't take any responsibility from the results of it. I have no idea why your PORTDIR is under an SVN repository (you'll have to ask that to the previous admin if it wasn't you who did it), but since that's screwing up portage, you should just take rid of it. This should be safe and you should always be able to get back to the current state of things by just moving back your old portage tree.

An easy way is to mv your current $PORTDIR out of scope. So, if you use /usr/portage like most people, you could just do
Code:
mv /usr/portage /usr/portage.old
emerge-webrsync
If portage complains about your profile being invalid, you will have to set one:
Code:
eselect profile list
eselect profile set <number>

If you don't know which profile to pick, please, check where it is pointing your current one, and try to guess:
Code:
ls -ld /etc/portage/make.profile

If that doesn't return anything then maybe your OS is old enough so that this will work:
Code:
ls -ld /etc/make.profile
Now use "eselect profile set <number>" to set the profile, and emerge should now work.
Then update your system:
Code:

emerge --sync
emerge -auDvN @world
Now, that will probably throw out a lot of blockers and errors and whatever else. That's to be expected, we will have to iron them one by one. Once the system upgrade ends your other thread might be solved and we can continue with libreoffice (if it doesn't still work).
The only issue I am having so far is when i try to emerge world.
I get the following:
Code:
emerge -auDvN @world                     
!!! Repository 'x-portage' is missing masters attribute in '/usr/local/portage/metadata/layout.conf'
!!! Set 'masters = gentoo' in this file for future compatibility
!!! Problem with sandbox binary. Disabling...

* IMPORTANT: 10 news items need reading for repository 'gentoo'.
 * Use eselect news to read news items.

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!

!!! The ebuild selected to satisfy ">=net-nds/openldap-2.4.38-r1[abi_x86_32(-)?,abi_x86_64(-)?,abi_x86_x32(-)?,abi_mips_n32(-)?,abi_mips_n64(-)?,abi_mips_o32(-)?,abi_ppc_32(-)?,abi_ppc_64(-)?,abi_s390_32(-)?,abi_s390_64(-)?]" has unmet requirements.
- net-nds/openldap-2.4.38-r2::gentoo USE="berkdb crypt cxx ipv6 minimal ssl syslog tcpd -debug -experimental -gnutls -icu -iodbc -kerberos -odbc -overlays -perl -samba -sasl (-selinux) -slp -smbkrb5passwd"

The following REQUIRED_USE flag constraints are unsatisfied:
    cxx? ( sasl )

(dependency required by "net-misc/curl-7.37.1" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "dev-util/cmake-2.8.12.2-r1" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "media-gfx/graphite2-1.2.4-r1" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "media-libs/harfbuzz-0.9.28[graphite]" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "x11-libs/pango-1.36.5" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "x11-libs/gtk+-3.12.2" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "app-crypt/gcr-3.12.2[gtk]" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "gnome-base/gnome-keyring-3.12.2-r1" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "sys-auth/pambase-20120417-r3[gnome-keyring]" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "sys-apps/openrc-0.13.1[pam]" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "net-misc/netifrc-0.2.4" [ebuild])
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, don't start with @world, at this point. You will have some troubles updating afterwards still, but start by updating your system pkgs first.

You want a good toolchain before doing everything else

Code:
emerge -1uD @system

you may have some conflicts, if so drop the -D for now, you can pick those up again later.

As for conflicts in world pkgs, fix the REQUIRED_USE pkgs by themselves first. you will be unlikely able to get a clean emerge -uD @world for awhile until you manually upgrade a number of them...
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would tray what dol-sen said, and update @system first, since you are less likely to run into problems by doing that.

Anyway, that one is easy to solve:

Code:
!!! The ebuild selected to satisfy ">=net-nds/openldap-2.4.38-r1[abi_x86_32(-)?,abi_x86_64(-)?,abi_x86_x32(-)?,abi_mips_n32(-)?,abi_mips_n64(-)?,abi_mips_o32(-)?,abi_ppc_32(-)?,abi_ppc_64(-)?,abi_s390_32(-)?,abi_s390_64(-)?]" has unmet requirements.
- net-nds/openldap-2.4.38-r2::gentoo USE="berkdb crypt cxx ipv6 minimal ssl syslog tcpd -debug -experimental -gnutls -icu -iodbc -kerberos -odbc -overlays -perl -samba -sasl (-selinux) -slp -smbkrb5passwd"

The following REQUIRED_USE flag constraints are unsatisfied:
    cxx? ( sasl )

All that means that if you want openldap to be emerged with cxx support, then you also have to enable the sasl use flag. In other words, either enable or disable both of them at least for this package.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: