No PPD found for HP LaserJet P1102
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
atemv
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject: No PPD found for HP LaserJet P1102 Reply with quote

Hello everybody!

I have a simple HP LaserJet P1102 printer connected to my PC via USB.

When I run:

Code:
hp-setup -i

It gives me the following result:

Code:
HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.14.1)
Printer/Fax Setup Utility ver. 9.0

Copyright (c) 2001-13 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

(Note: Defaults for each question are maked with a '*'. Press <enter> to accept the default.)

Using connection type: usb

Using device: hp:/usb/HP_LaserJet_Professional_P1102?serial=000000000Q899RETPR1a

Setting up device: hp:/usb/HP_LaserJet_Professional_P1102?serial=000000000Q899RETPR1a                                                                                                                                                 

---------------------                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
| PRINT QUEUE SETUP |                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
---------------------                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

Please enter a name for this print queue (m=use model name:'HP_LaserJet_Professional_P1102'*, q=quit) ?m                                                                                                                               
Using queue name: HP_LaserJet_Professional_P1102                                                                                                                                                                                       
Locating PPD file... Please wait.                                                                                                                                                                                                     
error: No PPD found for model laserjet_professional_p1102 using old algorithm.                                                                                                                                                         
error: Unable to find an appropriate PPD file.                                                                                                                                                                                         

Would you like to specify the path to the correct PPD file to use (y=yes, n=no*, q=quit) ?

So it recognizes the printer without fail, but unable to find the ppd file, and unfortunately I am also unable to locate it on the internet. Well little experience with printers, what I have.

The questions:

Where is the appropriate ppd file?

If it did not exist, would I have a way to workaround?
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

usually first choice is your search engine of choice and see if someone got your printer working on linux

second check out if your printer unterstands one of those generic printer languages like pcl (or the others which exists)

extended features are provided from the ppd file from the manufacturer.

so check out the datasheet and check out the features? does it understand pcl or the other printer languages?

also check what the cups homepage says.

I always buy only printers with pcl support, never those windows only printers! pcl works always without a hassle
atemv
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news:

It works without any ppd file, only a running cups daemon is required. Well hplip is also running, but maybe is not obligate to print, but absolutely is useful for get status and configure.

Thank you!
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just print a testpage in cups and you see if it works
Freeky
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OpenPrinting.org says that your printer supported by foo2zjs-z2: http://www.openprinting.org/printer/HP/HP-LaserJet_Pro_P1102.

You should install net-print/foo2zjs then choose this driver.

I don't know whether you need to install hplip.
atemv
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works with cups and hplip and no plugin is needed. I guess hplip is not essential, but useful.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: