Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
desktop / window manager - what's the diff?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thekillerbean
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 7:10 am    Post subject: desktop / window manager - what's the diff? Reply with quote

i'm quite new to the linux desktop/window management stuff and i'm a little confused as to what each does - is a desktop manager the same thing as a window manager? if not, what are the main differences?

if the explanation is a long one and someone here knows of a really good newbie friendly site that explains all the differences, i'd be glad to go do some reading. however, if the explanation is a short one, then please post right here.

much obliged!
Dolio
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 7:39 am    Post subject: Brief Reply with quote

If you want a brief description...

A window manager generally handles less stuff than a desktop manager does. For example, I use the enlightenment window manager. It draws the borders around the windows, and handles stuff like minimizing, maximizing and resizing the windows. It also handles switching between virtual desktops (you have 4 of them by default in most of the window managers I've tried).

Desktop managers do a lot more. Take Gnome for example (I'm more experienced with it, although I don't actually use it). Gnome includes Nautilus, which draws stuff on the "desktop", like icons and stuff. Enlightenment doesn't do that (currently). Nautilus is also a graphical file manager, so you can do stuff to files (like in Windows explorer). Gnome also integrates GTK+, which is a whole graphical toolkit. Gnome has tools for customizing all sorts of aspects of how your programs behave (like how all the little widgets look, rather than just the widgets on the toolbar).

So, I guess to compare it to Windows, a window manager would be the part of Windows that helps to draw and position the actual windows on the screen, while a desktop manager would be more like windows explorer + IE + the help system + Media Player + ...

Hope that helps. I may not be explaining it as well as you'd like. If not, hopefully someone else will.
thekillerbean
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so, do i need both of them to have a fully functioning gui or can i use one or the other? for instance, if i install the gnome desktop manager, do i then have to turn around and install a window manager like enlightenment?
mksoft
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think X Window System Architecture Overview HOWTO will give an intersteing reading.

Explains Window Managers, Desktop Environments, toolkits and more.
thekillerbean
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this calls for some hot cup'a tea and a soft sofa - i'll be reading a while.

thanks.

[edit]
that was a mighty good read - it now makes sense. okay, let me see if i learnt anything:
i can choose to either have a window manager like enlightenment without a desktop environment, in which case, i may end up without a task bar at the bottom of the screen, right? or, i may opt to load gnome and have enlightenment run on top of gnome which gives me some additional functionality like a task bar - am i right? hope so!
[/edit]
citizen428
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want some further reading this is IMHO a nice site covering the various WM and DE.

http://xwinman.org/
thekillerbean
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks all those provided for excellent reading and learning. now i have emerge'd enlightenment. however, i'm still getting that ugly intial window manager (twm). what files do i need to edit to make this so!

thanks.
line72
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all desktops will use a window manager. Gnome uses metacity, sawfish or enlightenment, and kde uses kdm. You can use a window manager by itself though

/Line72
abhishek
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just do echo exec enlightenment>~/.xinitrc If u wanted to use flux(the best IMO) thatd be exec fluxbox, For balckbox itd b exec blackbox.... Gnomewould be gnome-session and kde would be startkde.
mksoft
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

line72 wrote:
all desktops will use a window manager. Gnome uses metacity, sawfish or enlightenment, and kde uses kdm. You can use a window manager by itself though

/Line72

kdm is the login manager. kde's window manager is kwin.
Nebajoth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have to use any graphical frontend to Linux at all, you know.

( 8O )

You're already at the console, the most powerful interface to the inner workings of your computer - why pollute that?

That said, I use a window manager. ( :!: )

I very much enjoy all the *box windowmanagers. Fluxbox is the one I'm using now, however. It's a nice, clean, non-bloated interface that just happens to have a clock on a task-bar-like thinger on the bottom. Just enough like Windows to be comfortable, but cleaner than my winky on a day that my girlfriend is coming over and I might get some play.

8)

You could also opt for a completely bohemian/minimalist WM, and emerge EVILWM! Evilwm is very very very sparse. It adds a one-pixel wide border to your windows and... well, that's it. No close, no minimize widgets - those functions are all carried out with keyboard commands. It's also got a neat little CTRL-ALT-# switcheroo function between virtual desktops, which makes for good interfacing with GUI programs (like Galeon, which you can FINALLY run fullscreen). I opted against it in the end, despite my absolute love for maximized browser windows, because it was too difficult (for MY limited brain, anyhow) to keep track of what program was on what virtual desktop, and thus had to scroll through each. Gr.. When someone makes an Evilwm offshoot that has transparency effects which allows you to see the virtual desktop "below" the one you're working on, I'll switch back. :)

Anyhow, why not just emerge a few and try them out?
Gnome2 is very pretty, as is KDE3.
Enlightenment 0.17 is going to be crazy! Rasterman is God!
thekillerbean
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

data_the_android wrote:
Just do echo exec enlightenment>~/.xinitrc.

exactly what does this commend do? i typed it in a console and all it did was log me out - i was logged in as root - would it matter who was logged in? sorry, had to do it really quick as i was walking out the door to get to work. i'll try logging as a plain vanilla user when i get home later and try.
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

echo simply takes the next set of characters and repeats it to the screen. The '>' symbol redirects this to the file that follows. In this case, ~/.xinitrc. You could simply use a text editor (I recommend vim.) to add this line to the end of the file yourself, but since it's only one line some people will use echo. The idea behind adding this line to your ~/.xinitrc file is so that when you login and type startx it will start the window manager that you specified. (i.e. fluxbox, blackbox, etc..)
Naan Yaar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may have missed out the "echo" part. This would try to exec enlightenment in your console session and, as a result, terminate the currently running shell session.

The final thing that an .xinitrc file should do is to exec, i.e., replace the shell with the program to be run, some application which will stay alive for the duration of the X session. When this program exits, startx will kill the X server and clean up.
thekillerbean wrote:
data_the_android wrote:
Just do echo exec enlightenment>~/.xinitrc.

exactly what does this commend do? i typed it in a console and all it did was log me out - i was logged in as root - would it matter who was logged in? sorry, had to do it really quick as i was walking out the door to get to work. i'll try logging as a plain vanilla user when i get home later and try.
[UK]Superdude
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also if that is just too painful I beleive that when u emerge enlightenment there is a script called enlightenment.install that will set E up as your default window manager.

Or you could open .xinitrc and look for the line with twm and instead replace it with enlightenment.
thekillerbean
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naan Yaar wrote:
You may have missed out the "echo" part.

you are indeed right - i completely missed the echo. i'll do that again in the morning and post back.

[edit]
thanks - this did the trick!
[/edit]
vash
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2002 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alrite, I'm new here.

I emerge'd Gnome2 yesterday and prefer it a bit over KDE, although KDE feels a bit more polished. How can I determine which window manager I am using for Gnome? Am I running metacity, sawfish, etc? I've emerged both metacity and sawfish, modded my .bashrc reloaded gdm -- they look exact the same (either that, or I'm missing something completely).

vash
mksoft
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2002 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grep the output of ps aux while logged in gnome to see which one is running, e.g:

Code:
ps aux | grep metacity

vash
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2002 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mksoft wrote:
grep the output of ps aux while logged in gnome to see which one is running, e.g:

Code:
ps aux | grep metacity
Thanks. Looks like I'm running sawfish currently. Hrm. What other WMs can I run on top of Gnome2? I know metacity and I'll go and figure out how to change my WM to that.

vash
mksoft
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2002 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changing GNOME2 WMs has been discussed before in the forums.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: