View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Massimo B.
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:52 pm    Post subject: User switching with Xfce and lightdm Reply with quote

Hi,

I still have trouble to enable user switching in Xfce. I switched to lightdm since Slim does not support it.
But doing dm-tool switch-to-greeter as user, nothing happens. #xfce people told me I need light-locker for that, but can't find that on Portage, only some rare Overlays are providing this.
I tried xfce-extra/xfswitch-plugin-0.0.1-r1 but it is failing:
Code:
Failed to execute child process "/usr/libexec/lightdm/gdmflexiserver" (No such file or directory)

Is there some official way for user switching from Xfce or GTK like WMs?
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In lxdm there's no gdmflexiserver either, so I created this myself:

/usr/bin/gdmflexiserver wrote:

#!/bin/sh
/usr/bin/xflock4
sudo /usr/sbin/lxdm -c USER_SWITCH

It all comes down to figuring the right command(s) for lightdm. I can't help with that but it should be easy to figure. Just open a root xterm, write "lightdm" and press TAB twice to see the available tools.
Massimo B.
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some progress: This time after a restart, dm-tool switch-to-greeter works and offers another lightdm greeter on incremented F7, that is F8. Doing the same from there I get another on F9 and so on. [OK]

xfswitch-plugin-0.0.1-r1 does not find /usr/local/bin/gdmflexiserver and is looking for /usr/libexec/lightdm/gdmflexiserver. For custom scripts I prefer /usr/local.

You are using xflock4 on LXDE, that comes from xfce-base/xfce4-session :) This is starting my xscreensaver right now, which is not able to provide user switching from a locked screen. Which screensaver/locker is recommended for having user switching opportunity on the password dialog?
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Massimo B. wrote:
I did some progress: This time after a restart, dm-tool switch-to-greeter works and offers another lightdm greeter on incremented F7, that is F8. Doing the same from there I get another on F9 and so on. [OK]

xfswitch-plugin-0.0.1-r1 does not find /usr/local/bin/gdmflexiserver and is looking for /usr/libexec/lightdm/gdmflexiserver. For custom scripts I prefer /usr/local.

Yes, I know it's hacky. What I do in this cases is to put the script in local, and then create a symlink. That somewhat helps me to keep track of the crap I go putting around /usr. The proper way to do this in Gentoo would be to create a virtual for gdmflexiserver, I guess. That would allow to have several implementations of the damn thing in portage without them colliding with each other.

Quote:
You are using xflock4 on LXDE, that comes from xfce-base/xfce4-session :) This is starting my xscreensaver right now, which is not able to provide user switching from a locked screen. Which screensaver/locker is recommended for having user switching opportunity on the password dialog?

No. I don't use lxde at all. I just use lxdm because lightdm has been problematic for me for several reasons, along with openbox and xfce4-panel. I also used xfce4-session but it's not the stock session script (I have heavily modified it so...) you can call it i92DE if you wish :lol:

The xflock4 thing is there just so that the session doesn't remain unlocked. I don't have user switching support compiled into xscreensaver so I don't use that. You could use alock or whatever you want instead, or leave the session unlocked... whatever you prefer.

By the way, if you want to switch user from xscreensaver, just set USE="new-login" and recompile it. Then it should work. I didn't ever try that though. I don't know if it has some exotic run-time requirement other than the USE flag. I guess, the chance is that it will also require gdmflexiserver, but that's just my guess...
Massimo B.
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i92guboj wrote:
By the way, if you want to switch user from xscreensaver, just set USE="new-login" and recompile it. Then it should work. I didn't ever try that though. I don't know if it has some exotic run-time requirement other than the USE flag. I guess, the chance is that it will also require gdmflexiserver, but that's just my guess...

I didn't notice that USE="new-login" before, I only was told xscreensaver doesn't support it...
Quote:
+ - new-login : Enable user switching support using gdmflexiserver (x11-misc/lightdm) or kdmctl (kde-base/kdm)

I think about if it has some advantage to use gdm instead of lightdm?
I still wonder who will provide that gdmflexiserver when using lightdm, if not creating our own script, as you did.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really know. As said, I don't use lightdm, but, if it doesn't provide a gdmflexiserver file, and taking the word of that use flag description my wild guess is that maybe, at some point, it *did* provide that file, and now it doesn't. Gdm, unsurprisingly, provides it, so it should work fine. For just local logins it's an overkill though.

Other than the xdmcp protocol that, as far as I know lightdm and lxdm do not support (never bothered to look into it really), gdm only offers you a lot of extra artwork that you can find in gnome-look.org and deviant-art. And then, xdm also support xdmcp so...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: