Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Is Intel Rapid Storage Technology any interest 4 my laptop?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptainBlood
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:25 am    Post subject: Is Intel Rapid Storage Technology any interest 4 my laptop? Reply with quote

Hi dear all,

In the process of upgrading kernel from 3.10 to 3.12, I've been suggested to include Intel Rapid Storage Technology in kernel, possibly as a module.

So did I,as it seems to be supported by my ICH9M chipset, but couldn't retrieve any status in dmesg or elsewhere in this respect.

Same situation at manual module load or unload accordingly, modprobe -v is just empty. :?

Although I pretty sure my ICH9M chipset supports it, I don't have the slightest idea whether it is taken into account or not, nor if beneficial feature/performance wise.

Any idea on the subject?

Thks 4 ur attention.
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt you need that at all for a mobile chipset but I may be wrong about it.

hmm http://liliputing.com/2013/07/intel-rapid-start-technology-coming-to-linux-unofficially.html

SEems only to reduce bootup times. there was an init method here on the forum with static linking if you need that. or search for tuxonice if you need resume or hibernation feature.

In my point of view rather useless as saving a few seconds on booting up do not really matter.

ah last lines of the link i gave

Quote:
That makes some sense, since SSDs are generally much faster than HDDs. But you’d probably get some amount of a speed bump if you could use a Rapid Start-like setup on a system with a hard drive as well
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: