hostapd access point loop
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mayhew
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: hostapd access point loop Reply with quote

I am setting up a Realtek RTL8188cus usb wifi device as an access point for my tower.
i referenced this page ( http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Hostapd ) when setting it up so im using hostapd, and dnsmasq.

starting /etc/init.d/net.<interface> displays (* hostapd: waiting for net<interface>)and a bracketed count down
trying to start /etc/init.d/hostapd times out with (* net<interface>: waiting for hostapd) and the timer
and starting /etc/init.d/dnsmasq causes both starting with (* net<interface>: waiting for hostapd) and the timer

any advice would be helpfull and i can post anything you need to see.

Thanks
Aiken
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I run hostapd I create a bridge. I have eth0 and wlan0 bridged so the wifi clients are on the same network as everything else. Some may want routing between eth0 and wlan0. That howto looks orientated towards routing. I chose bridged. With bridging all wifi networks have access to my main dhcp server. With routing it seemed I would have had 3 (sometimes 4) dhcp servers or trying to route dhcp messages from 1 subnet to another.

The only settings in /etc/conf.d/net I have are for the bridge. Nothing for wlan0 as hostapd sets it up and not openrc
Code:

config_eth0="null"
bridge_br0="eth0"
config_br0="dhcp"

In /etc/conf.d/hostapd I have INTERFACES="br0" as hostapd in my configuration depends on br0 being configured before it starts. I do not have wlan0 here as (at least on my setup) there is nothing to be done to wlan0 before hostapd starts.

In /etc/init.d/ the only net.whatever symlink I have is net.br0. Both net.br0 and hostapd are in the default runlevel. The only difference I am seeing between my hostapd.conf and the examples in that howto are I have bridge=br0 which tells hostapd to add wlan0 to the bridge. If you go the routing way you won't want bridge= set.
mayhew
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im just trying to setup a wireless access point not a bridge to the internet.
i hope to use it to transfer files and ssh into my system as needed.
Aiken
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance you have INTERFACES set in /etc/conf.d/hostapd? I have a simple non bridging ap with wlan1 on a spare laptop

More less from that howto /etc/conf.d/net
Code:

modules="!iwconfig !wpa_supplicant"
config_wlan1="192.168.42.1/24"
rc_net_wlan1_need="hostapd"

With INTERFACES="" in /etc/conf.d/hostapd, a '/etc/init.d/net.wlan1 start' starts hostapd then sets the ip on wlan1. Both are up and running. If I set INTERFACES="wlan1" in /etc/conf.d/hostapd I end up with a dependency loop. Wlan1 depends on hostapd as per /etc/conf.d/net and hostapd depends on wlan1 as per /etc/conf.d/hostapd and get a count down timer.

Clearing INTERFACES opens the dependency loop. I just connected to this ap with a static ip from my phone. Setting INTERFACES in /etc/conf.d/hostapd when it does not have to be set can cause problems.
mayhew
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you aiken, i had an interface listed in hostapd.conf making progress. the loop has ended. but now my system wont pass ip addresses to devices (android phone)

now starting /etc/init.d/hostapd brings up <interface> without ip address and
starting /etc/init.d/net.<interface> starts hostapd and wpa_supplicant brings up <interface> without ip adress
starting /etc/init.d/dnsmasq starts hostapd and wpa_supplicant brings up <interface> but fails starting dnsmasq without
informing me (no message like "error")
and none allow me to see the ssid

i only see the connection when running as root #hostapd /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf but ip addresses don't get shared. my android device hangs on geting the ip address than the connection times out.
Aiken
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used modules= instead of rc_net_wlan0_modules= to stop iwconfig and wpa_supplicant from running. Once those 2 programs stopped interfering wlan1 came up with the correct address. For that test I did not bother with a dhcp server. When connecting from my phone to test I set a static ip.
olivierweb
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm sperting the same dependency loop after following the wiki page http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Hostapd without resolving it despite your comments.

These are my files, where am I wrong?

# cat /etc/conf.d/net
Code:

rc_net_wlan0_modules="!iwconfig !wpa_supplicant" # by default wireless interfaces are assumed to be clients, not APs
config_wlan0="192.168.42.1/24"                   # the AP's IP and network
rc_net_wlan0_need="hostapd"                      # ensures the interface is [re]configured after hostapd [re]starts

# cat /etc/conf.d/hostapd
Code:

INTERFACES="wlan0"
CONFIGS="/etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf"
OPTIONS=""

# cat /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf
Code:

interface=wlan0       # the interface used by the AP
# g simply means 2.4GHz band
hw_mode=g
channel=10            # the channel to use
ieee80211d=1          # limit the frequencies used to those allowed in the country
country_code=FR       # the country code
ieee80211n=1          # 802.11n support
wmm_enabled=1         # QoS support

# the name of the AP
ssid=somename
auth_algs=1           # 1=wpa, 2=wep, 3=both
wpa=2                 # WPA2 only
wpa_key_mgmt=WPA-PSK 
rsn_pairwise=CCMP
wpa_passphrase=somepassword

# /etc/init.d/net.wlan0 start
Code:

* hostapd: waiting for net.wlan0 (50 seconds)
 * hostapd: waiting for net.wlan0 (41 seconds)
 * hostapd: timed out waiting for net.wlan0
 * ERROR: cannot start hostapd as net.wlan0 would not start
 * ERROR: cannot start net.wlan0 as hostapd would not start

Thanks for your help.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: