wifi cannot be turn on after turned off
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davidshen84
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:01 am    Post subject: wifi cannot be turn on after turned off Reply with quote

Hi,

My system is Gentoo 64 bit, up to date, and I use NetworkManager to manage my network. My wifi was working fine. But when I accidentally turned off by using the laptop's wifi power switch, I cannot turn it on any more, not even after I reboot the system. **lspci** shows my card, but **ip link** does not show my wifi device. The *iwlwifi* module is loaded.

I have dual boot, and my wifi woks well under windows. I can turn it on/off without any problem in windows.

I thought it might have something to do with *rfkill*. I checked my system, the module is loaded, with no error.

Some posts says UEFI can mass up with wifi, and I use UEFI and grub2. But I don't think I am in the same situation as they do.
charles17
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does "ifconfig -a" tell?
Also again check "rfkill list all"

Last edited by charles17 on Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had some issues with rfkill in the past. what i remember was playing around with the kernel. in my case it was a kernel related issue, not a user space issue.

therefore you may try different kernel versions and see if hte problem exists there, but first check the howtos about setting up wifi / rfkill on the net. also check with lspci your card and see what others have done to get it working. Kernel settings / user space settings / anything else. and if it is a known issue.

if things goes worse it could be a bios issue also, check if there is a bios issue and if your dsdt is coded correct (just my thoughts)
davidshen84
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I think it is a kernel related issue. After I accidentally turned of my wifi, I also recompiled my kernel, and **accidentally** again, I turned of CONFIG_IWLDVM option...hell~
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: