Emerging and re-emerging.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zelt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:20 pm    Post subject: Emerging and re-emerging. Reply with quote

Example

If I am trying to install X Window, after editing my kernel, changing some options, recompiling and running emerge --ask xorg-server

If I was to reboot, modify the kernel options, Should I then re-run emerge --ask xorg-server again?

What are the consequences of doing this? Is it necessary?

Regards
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay.

I want to talk about the nvidia-drivers binary blob because I use that. i also use the intel open source drivers.

Usually:

1) Make a kernel
2) Make new grub entry and boot that new kernel with new grub entry
3) emerge binary nvidia-blob which fits my installed xorg-server; sometimes when i update xorg-server I need to rebuild xf86-input-mouse xf-input packages. recently portage reemerges these pacakges itself.

before that i used to

Code:
localhost roman # qlist -I xf86-input
x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev
x11-drivers/xf86-input-joystick
x11-drivers/xf86-input-keyboard
x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse
x11-drivers/xf86-input-synaptics
x11-drivers/xf86-input-wacom

and emerge them again.

4) revdep rebuild if needed

5) fire up xdm / gdm / lxdm / startx or whatever to get the xorg-server up and running.

so concerning your question. if you upgrade your kernel you may need to reemerge those xf86-input packages or your gpu driver. to be safe and dont worry about I just do it usually. You do not need to reemerge the xorg-server itself.

should you update the xorg-server you may be obliged to reemerge gpu driver and those xf86-input packages.

if something goes wrong because teh mouse and keyboard is not working in the login manager lxdm for the xorg-server i usually press the power button which forces my box to shutdown and therefore i do not have any issues with data corruption.

In general overview I usually update xorg-server / nvidia-driver-blob / xf86-input packages / linux kernel at the same time always. I am not that eager to update always the kernel.
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Emerging and re-emerging. Reply with quote

Zelt wrote:
Example

If I was to reboot, modify the kernel options, Should I then re-run emerge --ask xorg-server again?

What are the consequences of doing this? Is it necessary?

Regards

Consequences are that you just rebuild the packages.

You may need to build the gpu driver and the xf86-input packages again when you updated the xorg-server.

to be safe you can reemerge them just after an update of those packages.

if something goes wrong and you are unable to use your mouse or keyboard in the x environment hit the power button and that acpi event should force your box to reboot or shutdown depending on your config files in /etc. so you do not have any data corruption.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: