Certain commands output garbage on the command line
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mjbiscuits
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:20 pm    Post subject: Certain commands output garbage on the command line Reply with quote

When running certain commands such as less or man rubbish output is produced similar to the following:

Code:

$ man ls
/usr/bin/less: line 1: [: missing `]'
At least one file or directory argument required.
Use --help to show usage.
411toppm: Reading (64x48):  -

P6
64 48
��������������������---%k6S�K)RP�H��������������������x���>>>>j��}��������K�S�HWB�/N�:O�;0[�OLu@Jr>^�Rg�U#Mq<[J����>�W.�������������Bi.8W~C@:8�   U   �0<   �0Y�����wz�%hhX�n���0{0KM���y�b$�xy���+x)w;8�l���!!2T+TvM**L3R�8V�CQ�=Cu/Y�FR�0,,Cw!O�]N�\**�V��H�B1;I�C.5|DJ�YG�UW�?^�F'Kv3WnFUkDiXcyR34�&O�A3�K�F�]�R�l��$$$7`+^�\"LsJW}UG�)C$S�4/\�9Sz/Kr'Ls(\u?Un8Sk5_xB'L|CHy?'�8�.j�:D)�^=��   L����Bj(;;W=44D�<A�9�[�����������l���00d"1|9�P�f�`�c&?rHS�[FyO����Y�LS�F((S�KKxB&&�Z�M�T�S,~7@�K1�<3WKKs?Gp<^�R�^f�G�R�[�N�V�YQ�LS�MW�RJ|E�l��'''Y�R�ll�XXXXl1

If however I redirect the output of the man command for example to a file then the output is as expected. I'm not quite sure what is going on here or what I have done to cause this but any help would be greatly appreciated.
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

output mentions less.

so recompile the package containing less or downgrade that package.

you may also have a very low resolution which i doubt?

maybe it is time to emerge -e --keep-going system ... when have you done this the last time?
mjbiscuits
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recompiling less fixed the problem not quite sure how it became corrupted in the first place though.

Out of curiosity what does 'emerge -e --keep-going system' do? How often should it be run? I've only been using Gentoo for a couple of weeks and haven't come across those options before.
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjbiscuits wrote:
Recompiling less fixed the problem not quite sure how it became corrupted in the first place though.

Out of curiosity what does 'emerge -e --keep-going system' do? How often should it be run? I've only been using Gentoo for a couple of weeks and haven't come across those options before.

- It tell us you should do man emerge
- It tell emerge to rebuild all your system packages and deps and keep going it something fail while doing it
- You just never have to do that in "normal" usage.
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjbiscuits wrote:

Some of my nasty problems in teh past got solved magically by running this 'emerge -e --keep-going system' or 'emerge -e --keep-going world' that. I usually run it once a month usually. As I do work it does not matter that in the background everything is recompiled.

Well krinn gives excellent advise so stick to krinns advise please.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recompiling your whole system is not only a waste of energy (and money) but also put an unnecessary stress in your machine.

Yes, sometimes fs corruption can occur, but that's quite rare as long as you stick to well tested fs's such as ext<whatever> and you power off your machine properly (battery outage during suspend/hibernate is a perfect candidate for fs corruption).

Recompiling your OS periodically doesn't truly differ much from reformatting your PC every month. That sounds a bit like some other OS :lol:

There are also a set of tools that can be used to recompile sets of packages when needed. For example, emerge can use @preserved-rebuild or @module-rebuild. There's also revdep-rebuild, python-updater, perl-cleaner and probably many more that I don't know of.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: