Complete Gentoo environment
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agentgray
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 6:27 pm    Post subject: Complete Gentoo environment Reply with quote

(My apologies if this is in the wrong forum. Please move it if necessary).

I just performed my first Gentoo install last week. Screw Windows. I'm straight Gentoo now.

I like it so much, I'm seriously considering running it where I work. We'd be completly dropping Windows in favor of Gentoo. I'd like to know if it is possible to install Gentoo on a server and have our users use their desktops as terminal clients (with X sessions, KDE, Gnome, or whatever). I can then create profiles for the users and have them only run the programs that they need to be running (wordprocessing, spreadsheets, email, web).

I could then just back up the server. Wouldn't it also be possible that if the user logged in at another machine they'd get their desktop, programs, and settings.

Has anybody done anything like this? Where would I even begin? We have around 40 machines that are all spec'd close to the same.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually running X applications over a network probably generates too much wasteful traffic.

What I would do is install Gentoo on all 40 machines (there are some threads in the archives about how to compile once, install everywhere on similar hardware), and make each machine fully functional standalone.

Then have one dedicated file server, running NFS or something. All 40 of the client machines mount /home from this server. You could use NIS to synchronize all the login information, and then I think that would be enough for you to have your "anybody can log in anywhere and feel at home" setup.
snoopey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out partimage. www.partimage.org

On a Cybercafé I work for, all the computers are rebooted into linux nightly and restoring the saved image (a compressed image of a partition with win98 on). Using rsync, we check if the image is updated, and if it is, it's downloaded before restoring.

It works quite well, and you should look into it. :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: