What VIdeo Card Should I get
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeff.buzzell
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 12:56 am    Post subject: What VIdeo Card Should I get Reply with quote

Hey all,

Just dl'ed ut2003 demo and cant get it to work....dont thing my video card is supported. What video card can you guys recommend that would be good for ut. I dont want to spend 300 or 400 bucks on the top of the like GF4 but i want a decent GF card. Or if the GF isnt the only option....any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Sorry if I start a 'my card is better than your card' thread

Jeff
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the New video card? thread help?
mglauche
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ut2003 on linux does only work with nvidia right now. so your choice is easy ;) Get a GF(3|4)Ti ... depending on you budget
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 5:29 am    Post subject: video cards Reply with quote

I have an old pci ATI video card 4meg on this old machine, my daughters 1gig Athalon has an ATI Rage 128 32meg card that doesn't install worth a *?!@ in winBlows98SE. It has a buggy asus board with the via kt133 chipset that has memory problems, it doesn't like most brands. Anyway I installed gentoo on a spare partition to recover what I could of her data and mp3's. It was no problem setting up X for the card, Mandrake several times in the past, Gentoo now, W98SE however is a near impossibility, the first time the memory failed (the machine is stilll under warranty) I ended up bringing it back to the dealer to install the video drivers! I still might have to again this time!!! However I can be stubborn & I want to figure out if I have to hold my tongue a certain way or what.

I am not pleased with ATI at this point, at least for non-Linux OS's. The old 4meg card I use only needed a forum search to set a parameter correctly and is what I am using.

From following the DirectFB mailing list, it seems that they support Matrox the best because they report that they are the most open about their hardware specs, since I don't do any gaming to speak of I think I am inclined to go with a Matrox card.

Brian

P.S. Anyone know how to make the ATI Windows drivers actually work :?: Before I throw it out the window. :evil:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: