kdelibs 3.0.3a vs. 3.0.3-r1
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Plaz
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 6:15 am    Post subject: kdelibs 3.0.3a vs. 3.0.3-r1 Reply with quote

I just got around to doing an emerge -p clean and found the following in the output:

>>> These are the packages that I would unmerge:

kde-base/kdelibs
selected: 3.0.3a
protected: 3.0.3-r1
omitted: none

This seems to indicate that it thinks 3.0.3-r1 is the latest and greatest version, but the packages list on www.gentoo.org/packages/kde-base/ lists 3.0.3a as the current version. Anybody know which one is really the one I need to keep? Any ideas as to what might have caused 3.0.3-r1 to be installed if that's not the one I should have?
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the Changelog, you definitely want 3.0.3a, not 3.0.3-r1. If I try "emerge -p kdelibs", it offers to install 3.0.3a. Can you try "emerge sync" and/or updating portage, in case there may be a version ordering bug in your portage?
Plaz
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rac wrote:
According to the Changelog, you definitely want 3.0.3a, not 3.0.3-r1. If I try "emerge -p kdelibs", it offers to install 3.0.3a. Can you try "emerge sync" and/or updating portage, in case there may be a version ordering bug in your portage?

Just did an 'emerge sync' and checked portage version to make sure it was the latest [2.0.38]. No change in behavior yet :-(. I'll try to figure out enough about portage to see if there's a package installed that might cause a bogus dependency or something.
Plaz
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 1:41 am    Post subject: Still stumped Reply with quote

I've been trying to figure out what might be causing portage to think it needs to keep kdelibs version 3.0.3-r1 instead of version 3.0.3a but haven't gotten very far. Any pointers on how to debug this? How does one find out why a particular package is protected?
danarmak
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you emerged kdelibs-3.0.3-r1 after emerging 3.0.3a for some reason, you would end up in a situation like this. Portage keeps track of the order in which you emerge your packages and protects in emerge -c the ones that were emerged last.
In unmerging 3.0.3-r1, you're risking being left with no kdelibs at all, if you really emerged it last. I suggest you emerge kdelibs-3.0.3a again, then you can safely unmerge 3.0.3-r1 no matter what portage tells you because you'll know you don't really have it anyway.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for taking the time to explain this, Dan. Every time we get definitive feedback from developers here, it allows everybody to confidently answer other related questions that will pop up in the future.
Plaz
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion, Dan. I actually decided to do exactly that last night just before heading to bed. The build completed fine and the old version has been cleaned from the system. I haven't noticed any problems yet.

How it got into the state it was in is still a mystery to me. I'm sure I never explicitly emerged any version of kdelibs until last night when I was rebuilding 3.0.3a (i.e. it wasn't in my world file until now). Is it safe/recommended to remove it from the world file since I really only care about it because it's a dependency for kde?

I guess this really should have been posted to "Portage & Programming". Thanks again for the help.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plaz wrote:
I guess this really should have been posted to "Portage & Programming".

I don't generally like to move things across specialty forums, but since the thread author says it's OK, I agree that that would be a better retirement home for it. Originally posted in Desktop Environments.
danarmak
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 8:32 pm    Post subject: More explanations Reply with quote

I've only now noticed that the kde-3.0.3 ebuild depends on ~kdelibs-3.0.3, so it won't try to emerge kdelibs-3.0.3a. If you had 3.0.3a and then did emerge kde, it would have emerged 3.0.3-r1 again. That may be what happened to you.

I've now committed a kde-3.0.3a ebuild that depends on kdelibs-3.0.3a, everything else 3.0.3. That should prevent such confitions from occuring.
Plaz
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, at least I feel better that there may be a logical explanation for it all. I'm not sure exactly how I might have gotten kdelibs-3.0.3a before emerging kde, but it's possible that I mistakenly emerged kde-base/kdebase and then realized that I really wanted kde-base/kde. The former doesn't appear in my 'world' file, but I suppose I may have gone back and removed it (all of the alleged activity would have occurred around 3am a few weeks ago, so it's not all that surprising that I'm not sure if it actually happened that way).

A more plausible scenario is that I emerged kde and then emerged something else that pulled in 3.0.3a, but I'm not familiar enough with portage to know what else I would have had to do after that in order to get into the state I was in. I think I would have noticed if I'd emerged kde again since it takes eons to build on my system.

Thanks for the help!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: