View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
djresonance
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 7:30 pm    Post subject: truetype fonts look squished with X Reply with quote

Hi, I've been battling with this problem for the past couple days. For some reason unbeknownst to me, X has started displaying my truetype fonts squished along the horizontal axis. It's hard to describe, so take a look at this screenshot from gEdit:

http://www.resynthesize.com/Screenshot.png

It is only the truetype fonts that look like this, the regular fonts that come with gnome/X look fine. I've tried everything I can think of so far, completely removed the truetype fonts directory and recreated it using ttmkftdir. It's not just the microsoft TTf's, for instance luxi mono looks all squished as well.

Has anyone seen this problem before? I've looked all over the web and haven't been able to find anything. I'm bashing my head against the wall and may just trash my whole install if I can't get it fixed. If the information is relevant, I'm using gnome2, however I tried switching to another window manager (windowmaker) to verify that the results are the same. I think it is a problem with my X configuration somewhere and not just gnome.

Thanks,
Brandon
Naan Yaar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: truetype fonts look squished with X Reply with quote

Hi,

I think I may know what the problem is. You need to edit your /usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers file to set the display dpi to a fixed value (I use 100dpi as shown below):
Code:

:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X -dpi 100

If you are not using xdm, you need to start the X server with the dpi fixed as shown above.
djresonance wrote:
Hi, I've been battling with this problem for the past couple days. For some reason unbeknownst to me, X has started displaying my truetype fonts squished along the horizontal axis. It's hard to describe, so take a look at this screenshot from gEdit:

http://www.resynthesize.com/Screenshot.png

It is only the truetype fonts that look like this, the regular fonts that come with gnome/X look fine. I've tried everything I can think of so far, completely removed the truetype fonts directory and recreated it using ttmkftdir. It's not just the microsoft TTf's, for instance luxi mono looks all squished as well.

Has anyone seen this problem before? I've looked all over the web and haven't been able to find anything. I'm bashing my head against the wall and may just trash my whole install if I can't get it fixed. If the information is relevant, I'm using gnome2, however I tried switching to another window manager (windowmaker) to verify that the results are the same. I think it is a problem with my X configuration somewhere and not just gnome.

Thanks,
Brandon
djresonance
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: truetype fonts look squished with X Reply with quote

Naan Yaar wrote:
Hi,

I think I may know what the problem is. You need to edit your /usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers file to set the display dpi to a fixed value (I use 100dpi as shown below):
Code:

:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X -dpi 100

If you are not using xdm, you need to start the X server with the dpi fixed as shown above.

Alright, I know this is a late response, but hey thanks because this worked! I hadn't had a chance to mess with it until the other day and I dug around. I'm not using XDM, but rather GDM so I had to find the equivelant line in /etc/X11/gdm.conf. Here's the appropriate section, in case another lost soul comes searching later:

Code:

# Definition of the standard X server.
[server-Standard]
name=Standard server
command=/usr/X11R6/bin/X -dpi 100
flexible=true

Thanks,
Brandon
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: