View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daemon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 1:29 pm    Post subject: Wow ... Gnome Reply with quote

I've always used KDE but yesterday before going to work i typed #emerge gnome and im using it now. let me tell you .. it's WAY faster than KDE in everything.. everything i click just pops up right away, and im only using PII 300.

but of course, it's not as eye candy as KDE. is there away to fix this.. some cool themes? window managers? what else? (i like KDE .NET theme)

p.s. how do i remove the panel menu on the top of the desktop (mac style) and make everything in the bottom menu?

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, kde is the slowest desktop i've ever seen .. exept for m$'s :)

concerning themes:
http://themes.freshmeat.net/ offers you a vast selection of themes for anything

If you are lazy ans using sawfish, you might as well try http://wennja.warum.net/gentoo/sawfishthemes.tar.gz - a collection of all todays themes for sawfish (I only got 300kBit/s upload, so be patient ;) )

You can move the panel by drag-and-drop with the middle button of your mouse. Right-click on the panel for learning more about its features!

* ElCondor pasa *
ElCondor
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm .. what session-timeout is set here?

anyway: the above posting belongs to me, just in case some feedback might come :)

PS: the package mentioned above contains about 180 sawfish themes.

* ElCondor pasa *
Daemon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool .. thanx.

i've been experiencing with themes and found thinice is almost what i want... but i noticed that no matter what theme i choose it only changes the colors and not the look of the buttons bars etc.. how do i change that to get flat buttons, something like the ones used in Gaim.

i've been changing the themes using Control Center->Theme Selector.

i'm guessing that i have to change the theme of gtk itself, right?
Coogee
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"emerge gtk-engines" will do what you want.
I do not use Gnome (only Sawfish + GTK-apps) therefore I do not know how to switch the engine. But you can do it manually by setting the path to your engine in ~/.gtkrc.
Example: .gtkrc: include "/usr/share/themes/Raleigh/gtk/gtkrc"
nempo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

_Your should try the "Eazel-blue" theme in Sawfish and the ThinGradient theme for GTK, you wouldnt believe how good everything looks :0
grakker
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 9:15 pm    Post subject: Switching gtk themes Reply with quote

There are several gtk theme switcher apps or scripts on Freshmeat that make changing themes pretty easy.

But yeah, drop KDE and GNOME, use just a basic window manager like Sawfish or Fluxbox and the apps you want and the speed is just untouchable.
Daemon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Switching gtk themes Reply with quote

grakker wrote:
There are several gtk theme switcher apps or scripts on Freshmeat that make changing themes pretty easy.

But yeah, drop KDE and GNOME, use just a basic window manager like Sawfish or Fluxbox and the apps you want and the speed is just untouchable.

yeah... but i don't like win 3.x behavior i.e. i don't like my windows to minimize into icons somewhere on my desktop and to maximize them i have to look for the icons hidden behind my other windows and click on them because there is no taskbar.

i think KDE and Gnome are popular for a reason.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using different WMs for a while now. None seem to work as well as Gnome (I don't use KDE). In particular, windows open so the title bar is off screen (primarily with Galeon), they don't remember where they were and generally seem a little rough. I've tried fluxbox, windowmaker, xfce, enlightenment, flvm and maybe 1 or 2 more.

windowmaker seems to have the most promise.
xfce seems too much like CDE and errors about not being able to save files or something.
enlightenment locks up every time i try to change themes.
flcm or something like it won't start (not that I put much effort into getting it to)

All in all none are awful. My main gripe is ease of configuration. I'm going to give fluxbox another workout. Any tools that help with configuration? I edited wmaker's menu manually and that was a PITA :).
ElCondor
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, if it's just for speed you could switch back to fvwm or twm .. but with the years I got used to more and more comfort. and you have to keep those cpus with hundrets of gigahertzs busy anyway ;)

ad gnome: I use the gnomecc (control center) for configuring the whole desktop.
Code:
emerge gnome-base/control-center

have phun!

* ElCondor pasa *
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I'm using older hardware, I'd say speed is fine even with Gnome. I was mainly trying to find a lighter weight WM, but I really don't want to sacrifice reasonable configuration. Does gnomecc work with just Gnome, or will it configure other WMs?
lain iwakura
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, Nautilus in Gnome is snazzy and all, but slow as hell. But then again, you don't have to use Nautilus.

btw, does anyone know if anyone took over development of Nautilus?
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lain iwakura wrote:
I don't know, Nautilus in Gnome is snazzy and all, but slow as hell. But then again, you don't have to use Nautilus.

I'll probably just stick with Gnome... the others just seem unfinished.
As for Nautilus, it is on my "To Do" list for things to remove :). I find it irritatiing.
Want to remove the MS Windows-like Icons (Start here, home and trash) from the desktop too.

If only G2 were done.
ElCondor
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanuslupus wrote:
Does gnomecc work with just Gnome, or will it configure other WMs?

Since it's the gnome-control-center it only configures Gnome desktop ;)
Gnome-compliant window managers can also be configured with gnomecc.

I found Nautilus to be .. irritating. Actually my wife likes it, but I insisted, that she should understand more what she is doing on the computer :)

* ElCondor pasa *
clee
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 6:33 am    Post subject: Heh. Reply with quote

I love this. :')

(I happen to be the author of the dotNET style that the original poster mentioned.)

Just thought I'd mention that I'm glad to see that other people are enjoying the style so much. Don't worry, you'll come back to KDE eventually ;)

-clee
Daemon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

two tumbs up -> clee. awsome style slik, flat and clean. way to go man.
nempo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lain iwakura wrote:

nautilus will be in gnome2, but according gnome.org (somewhere there) they took over developement and have fixed alot of the speed issues in it.
grakker
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Switching gtk themes Reply with quote

Daemon wrote:

yeah... but i don't like win 3.x behavior i.e. i don't like my windows to minimize into icons somewhere on my desktop and to maximize them i have to look for the icons hidden behind my other windows and click on them because there is no taskbar.

i think KDE and Gnome are popular for a reason.

I never really used win 3.11 or whatever, so I don't know that part. But having a couple desktops and learning or setting shortcuts for moving from desktop to desktop and/or running through windows beats any taskbar. Hands almost never leave the keyboard. Beautiful. I ended up replacing explorer.exe on my work computer because it seems so inelegent.

When I minimize a window in Sawfish, the things gone, no icon, until I either click on the root and bring it back or just hit my key combo. Really, you were asking for speed. And KDE and GNOME as environments are popular 'cause a lot of Windows people want a similiar desktop. I have no problem with that. The first distribution of Linux I used didn't even come with XFree, so I suppose I'm a little keyboard biased.
JefP@@
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Heh. Reply with quote

clee wrote:
I love this. :')

(I happen to be the author of the dotNET style that the original poster mentioned.)

Just thought I'd mention that I'm glad to see that other people are enjoying the style so much. Don't worry, you'll come back to KDE eventually ;)

-clee
I agree ;) KDE styles are awesum !
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: