Hardware Compatibility of Shuttle SN85G4 (AMD64 & nForce
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkcore
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Hardware Compatibility of Shuttle SN85G4 (AMD64 & nForce Reply with quote

Hi All,
I'm going to buy a Shuttle SN85G4 system today and I saw some success story on installing Gentoo on this forum before. However, I also saw this line on the Hardware Compatibility page of amd64.gentoo.org

Silicon Image 3112[a],3512,3114 Software MOSTLY WORKING (see note below)
(Note: Only channels 1 and 2 work on the Silicon Image 3114. Channels 3 and 4 aren't working yet.)

I think the Shuttle system I'm going to buy has a Silicon Image 3512 SATA controller. Does the above line means Silicon Image 3512 does not work at all or it means only Silicon Image 3114 has problem?

Thanks,
Oscar
darkcore
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 6:20 pm    Post subject: just to add Reply with quote

Forget to mention, I was thinking about installing Gentoo 2004.0
Pluk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just installed gentoo on it, and its working ok.
Using the sata disk as boot.

Now compiling the full monty :)
darkcore
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:38 am    Post subject: Latsu Go Lei Do Reply with quote

that's great :D , I just went out and ordered one wiz SATA harddrive. I'll be really upset I see someone told me that it won't work.
darkcore
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:39 am    Post subject: Latsu Go Lei Do Reply with quote

that's great :D , I just went out and ordered one wiz SATA harddrive. I'll be really upset I see someone told me that it won't work.
jhuebel
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

darkcore, the 3114 is a 4-port SATA controller... That's why we mention that only channels 1 and 2 work. But the 3112 and 3512 will work fine. Just make sure you use the latest 2.6.x kernel. Silicon Image SATA wasn't support until 2.6.2, I believe.
twgray
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Hardware Compatibility of Shuttle SN85G4 (AMD64 & nF Reply with quote

Has anyone gotten the two USB 2.0 ports on the front of the case to work? Everything else seems to function, including the CF and SD/MMC slots and the rear USB ports. But not the two USB 2.0 ports on the front. Any ideas?
Phoenix13
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darkcore, I have been unable to get Gentoo working on my Shuttle box yet. I actually got it up once before the 2004.0 was released but it came down while trying to emerge kde so I went back and tried Slackware and it can't see my SATA controller and same thing with Mandrake, even Windoze can't see my drive so I'm working on Gentoo again and I got it loaded and everything but now when I boot from the kernel I compiled it gets to the booting process the screen has pixels everywhere and I can't read anything and then it reboots. So I rebooted with the Live CD and tried the genkernel and it will boot up until it gets to step 5 where it looks for the root partition and it stops. Nothing I do gets it to find my drive. I've tried messing with my grub.conf and I've checked and rechecked fstab. Any help you could offer would be great.
Phoenix13
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twgray, My front USB ports work. I haven't done anything special but when I plug in my USB floppy it detects it.
darkcore
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phoenix13 wrote:
Nothing I do gets it to find my drive. I've tried messing with my grub.conf and I've checked and rechecked fstab. Any help you could offer would be great.

Hi Phoenix13,
Actually chebe has discussed this in the thread above named Installing 2004.0 on a Shuttle nForce3 and SiI 3512A. Basically he suggested that you simply use "root=/dev/sda5" grub option at boot time and it will work. However, it doesn't work for me so I'm still trying :(
Phoenix13
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I made a new kernel from scratch and I must have solved my problem because my system is up and running now. Thanks to the various threads. If anyone wants to see grub.conf or fstab or anything else I'll provide.
slusk-
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a bit off topic, but has anyone gotten onboard sound to work on this box with kernel 2.6?
reaver
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply to Slusk (Absolutely Off-topic) Reply with quote

Hi,I've built a 64 bit system with alsa using kde as a desktopenvironment and the sound allways seemed to lag. It didn't even work when I ran ut2004-demo (YES, I emerged openal. I've built most of the sound stuff as modules:
Code:

<M>Sound Card support
<M>Advanced Linux Sound Architecture
<M>Sequencer Support
[*]OSS API Emulation
<M>OSS Mixer API
<M>OSS PCM (digital audio) API
[*]OSS Sequencer API
<M>RTC Timer support
PCI Devices --> <M>Intel i8x0/MX440, SiS 7012; Ali 5455; NForce Audio; AMD768/8111 

This was built with a 2004.0 livecd and I also used the latest alsa-lib and alsa-utils.
You can check if your sound works in /proc/asound/devices btw.
The lagged sound in kde-amd64 bothered me however and I emerged fluxbox and the sound now worked in ut2004-demo (bliss). It was now somewhat better, but the AMD64 built stuff was still somewhat flakey for my personal use.
I downloaded a 2004.0 AthlonXP livecd and built a 32bit system using the same alsa configuration and the following Gentoo_Forum_obtained CFLAGS flags :
Code:
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=athlon-xp -msse -msse2 -mfpmath=sse -pipe"

This setup absolutely rocks. The only problem I've had so far
, apart from absolutely thrashing my amd64-built /boot dir, is running pcsx.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: