RAID problems on fresh install
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ee99ee2
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 3:52 am    Post subject: RAID problems on fresh install Reply with quote

I'm doing a new Gentoo 1.4 install tonight. Well, was until I got to step 7. lol.

I have 2 60GB hard drives that I am doing hardware RAID-0 (striping) with. They are both identical. They both have 116336 cylinders, 16 heads, and 63 sectors (according to dmesg). I have an ABit KT7A-RAID motherboard with a Highpoint HPT370A RAID controller chipset onboard. After I've 'insmod ataraid' and 'insmod hptraid', I then go into fdisk to setup my partitions ('fdisk /dev/ataraid/disc0/disc'). This is where the trouble begins. In fdisk, only 11499 cylinders are showing up. I can't make but like 8GB of partitions. Where is the rest of my hard drive space?!

What did I do wrong?

-ee99ee2
ee99ee2
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I guess I'll just use normal IDE then. Will it be that much slower? I used to use it, and it wasn't that bad. I still use the RAID controller, I just use them as normal IDE devices.

Anyone got any ideas?

-ee99ee
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

two things - if you are using a highpoint controller - linux will think it is hardware raid - did you create a raid 0 array in the bios of the highpoint controller ?

if you did / didn't - delete it and try again.

secondly, you may want to just use it as an ultra 100 controller, and use linux SOFTWARE raid - many people swear by this, especially because the highpoint controller is really software driven anyways.

there is a software raid howto in thew documentation and tips part of the forums.

gl!
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

taskara wrote:
secondly, you may want to just use it as an ultra 100 controller, and use linux SOFTWARE raid - many people swear by this, especially because the highpoint controller is really software driven anyways.

I did that on an el-cheapo integrated Promise RAID controller that was giving me crap. It's far more flexible than hardware RAID (mixing RAID levels -- for instance, with 4 devices, make /boot RAID 1, swap RAID 0, and / RAID 5) and plenty fast. It was an easier solution than hardware RAID (for me at least).

Also, I'm not dissing real hardware RAID, which is largely SCSI based and almost invariably more efficient at the expense of large amounts of cash. (There's even some nifty RAID arrays that use IDE drives but give a SCSI interface. How cool is that?)
ee99ee2
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I just decided to use it as just a normal IDE controller after all. I thought I'll put my swap on the 2nd drive and have my root on the first. And I'll also stick all my MP3s and /home on the 2nd drive too. That'll work.

I'm recompiling kernel now. I use XFS, got everything done. I booted up the system after I did everything, and realized I forgot to enable XFS support. Now that's just stupid on my part. So I'm going back now and compileing the kernel again right now with XFS support. Then I'll be ready to compile KDE (o boy).

So everything has went well except for this obvious mistake.

-ee99ee2
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: