Trying to decide server combination...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
techiem2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2002 7:52 pm    Post subject: Trying to decide server combination... Reply with quote

I am hoping to setup a dedicated server for my lan in the next week or two.
The server will be used as:
DNS server for lan - Which DNS would you suggest for maximum reliability/efficiency?
Web Filter - Squid with Squidguard and Dan's Guardian (assuming they compile on gentoo. I don't see them listed in the packages.)
Privoxy to nuke the adds.
Which HTTP server would be best suited as a backend for the filters?
I don't think I'll be running my local web site off the box, so I don't need apache if something else would work better for a simple cgi/perl/http backend for the filters.
Those are the most important issues.
I would also like to know 1. if the services for cyclone irc server compile and work (I'm assuming they are not included with the gentoo package), and 2. Does the server or the services support auto-dumping all people that connect into a certian channel? (useful for a small private server where some friends don't know much about irc).
Thanks to all in advance.
Hope I wasn't too confusing.
:)
garo
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2002 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shouldn't use gentoo for a server, Gentoo is more a bleeding-edge distro, and you probably don't want that bleeding part on a server. I should go for a more reliable distribution.
I know, most people (including me) have a stable gentoo without problems, but better safe then sorry on a server...
BackSeat
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2002 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to decide server combination... Reply with quote

Well, I'll disagree with garo. I've been using Gentoo on quite a few servers, and I'd rather use Gentoo than other, perhaps more mainstream, distros. You do need to be aware of the idiosyncracies of Gentoo - for example, if you are serious about having a reliable server then test all package upgrades before implementing them, or in other words don't do an 'emerge rsync; emerge -u world' and expect it all to work. That said, Gentoo gives me the most control over any Linux system of any distro I've used, and I like it that way.

To answer some specifics:

techiem2 wrote:
Which DNS would you suggest for maximum reliability/efficiency?
Without a doubt, djbdns. More secure and much faster than named.

techiem2 wrote:
Which HTTP server would be best suited as a backend for the filters?
You mean you would consider something other than Apache?

Good luck with what you are doing - I think Gentoo is a great server platform, but you DO need to know what you are doing - it isn't novice territory.

BS
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2002 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to decide server combination... Reply with quote

BackSeat wrote:
Good luck with what you are doing - I think Gentoo is a great server platform, but you DO need to know what you are doing - it isn't novice territory.

Complete and 100% ditto. I'm also using Gentoo on a few servers and am quite happy with my decision.

Besides which, when openssl, Apache, and PHP vulnerabilities are published I'm much happier with a bleeding-edge distro than a stagnant/"stable" one. Additionally, Gentoo is no less stable than, say, Debian -- if you know what you're doing.
garo
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But, delta407 and backseat, you know what you are doing.
I don't think it's wise to advise this to someone who has to ask others what to run (no offense techiem2, everybody starts without knowledge and i am also a long way from being a guru).
techiem2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None taken. I have a bit of experience with linux, but not with the many choices available for this project.
I figure since I'm building a dedicated machine with a distro I haven't tried, I should get some advice from those with more experience.
What better way to learn than to ask the experts and play with things yourself?
:)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: