View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Insanity5902
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that link doesn't work, just takes us to the main page.
isnogood
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damned thing - go to notebooks-hp pavilion notebooks-zv5000z series
roddog
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well having the nVidia card helps on the 3D front. Are these even out yet?
isnogood
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They said it would ship by march 11 if I bought one.And yes the nvidia chip is what I am after - it's not the newest one around but all I want is less trouble not high speed gaming.
bbqBrain
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow...1280x800 -> 1680x1050 for only $100?

I priced one out at $1474 with the high-res panel, 12-cell battery, and 1x512MB RAM (plus cost of a Prism wireless adapter). With free shipping, that's a helluva deal.

Who's going to buy one and review it? Maybe they'd send a unit for permanent review. :D
nccuss17
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:57 am    Post subject: 2.6.3 config for amd64 bit emachines laptop m6805 Reply with quote

I was wondering if somone had a .config file that worked with 2.6.3 with this laptop. (muru is 2.6.2, and screws up my cisco 802.11b card that I use, while the 2.6.3 compile I tried screws up the pcmcia modules).

In particular I would love to get my hands on the .config file they used for the emachines kernel that came with the latest version of the amd64 bit boot disk, as that kernel works great (but any 2.6.3 that worked would do).
brad_mssw
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK
A lot of confusion has been going on, and people keep going
to muru.com, which definately has relevant information, but
that site is getting old, and no longer relevant to Gentoo/AMD64.

As long as you use gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.3-r2 or higher,
the kernel fully supports the emachines m680X laptops.
The kernel config you should be using is provided with new
'genkernel' releases. 'emerge genkernel' to install genkernel.
The kernel config is:
/usr/share/genkernel/x86_64/kernel-config-2.6-emachines

You must also pass 'pci=noacpi noapic' to the kernel, please
DO NOT reverse any of these letters. No typos are accepted here!
Look very very very closely! noacpi and noapic are different!

Ok, now that that rant is done with (you can tell too many people
have made this mistake), we can continue...

We recommend using a 'genkernel' compiled kernel to get you
started, here would be your procedure:

Quote:

emerge gentoo-dev-sources
emerge genkernel
genkernel --kernel-config=/usr/share/genkernel/x86_64/kernel-config-2.6-emachines all

Once that finishes successfully, you should make a grub.conf
that looks like this:

Quote:

default 0
timeout 30
splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title=Emachines Kernel
root (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/kernel-2.6.3-gentoo-r2 root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc real_root=/dev/hda3 vga=0x317 splash=verbose pci=noacpi noapic
initrd (hd0,0)/boot/initrd-2.6.3-gentoo-r2

Please NOTE that (hd0,0) is the harddrive, and parition of where
/boot resides in every instance! root (hd0,0) doesn't mean it
should point to /dev/hda3, as root refers to the root for grub,
not your root filesystem. Totally different! (again, you can see
too many people have made this mistake!)

Now, you should also emerge hotplug in order to have it
automatically detect your remaining hardware (e.g. NIC)
on startup.

Quote:

emerge hotplug
rc-update add hotplug default

Ok, now once you have it up and running, and if something
doesn't work, and you've re-read this 20x, then you can ask
for support!

-Brad House
AMD64 Project Lead
brad_mssw@gentoo.org
bswrchrd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Brad,

Can you say POOF and make the wireless card work? :D
Vesentac
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 2:43 am    Post subject: kudos Reply with quote

OK, i went back and followed the directions to the letter and did not try to customize options too much. There is something that prevents the ethernet from working. I'll chop at it some more.

Thanks brad, you are the da man!
TheSisko
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There could a few things, are you talking hardwired or wireless?

During the install hardwired worked fine, using "#dhcpcd eth0"
if you using a wireless pcmcia card, its not under eth0, but rather eth1

Currently I do not believe the internal wireless one works unless using NDIS if that works...(refer to previous posts)

Check to make sure you have the correct modules in "#lsmod" "#lspci"
Check to make sure you have the correct network info in /etc/resolv.conf
is correct.

FOR People using other PCMCIA wireless cards in the 2004rc2 AMD64 distro:

Make sure you emerge pcmcia-cs and hotplugging.
I noticed I needed to modprobe orinoco_cs to get it working, it can
be different for the various types of cards though.
"#cardctl ident" will tell you if your card is identified yet.
finally I copied /etc/init.d/net.eth0 to /etc/init.d/net.eth1 (make sure it has the correct networking information in it though)
then I issued "#/etc/init.d/net.eth1 start" which got me running.

(that is a LinkSys WPC11 version3 if anyone has the same)

Does anyone have an XF86Config other than Muru's? I get a "no screen error" Any ideas?
TheSisko
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like ATI finally released updated drivers.
<a href="http://slashdot.org/articles/04/03/06/1436223.shtml"> ATI Drivers on Slashdot </a>

However, there is still no AMD64 ones that I am aware of.
Apterigo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 9:38 pm    Post subject: 2cents Reply with quote

I'm glad I found this forum. Lots of good information on the M6805/7. A couple things before I say anything. I run Debian and not Gentoo but I've had some interesting experiences with Debian Woody w/ X 4.3.0 and Kernel 2.4.24 and this laptop. I bought the laptop pretty much the day it was available - just perfect timing as I needed a laptop and 64-bit sounded wonder. My experienced below are all 32-bit-

I was able to get the via-rhine working without disabling ACPI. I used the "scyld" drivers from ftp://ftp.scyld.com/pub/network. Not that it makes much a difference but-

Also, I was able to get ndiswrapper loaded easily enough and get my wireless detected. I can make configuration changes to the wireless and bring up the interface but have not got anything web site wise- As this is my first experience with ndiswrapper it is likely an err on my part that I will remedy with a little bit of hacking. I did not run into any serious compiling problems with most of it, although I did have to rebuild the ndiswrapper and wireless-tools from source (complaints about V12 and V16 of the wireless extensions) before anything useful seemed to happen. I also happened to use the NDIS drivers from the M5310 (because I had already axed my windows partition). You'll hear from me again when I get wireless working :)

Apterigo
thither
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: 2cents Reply with quote

Apterigo wrote:
...Also, I was able to get ndiswrapper loaded easily enough and get my wireless detected. [...] I also happened to use the NDIS drivers from the M5310 (because I had already axed my windows partition).

Hmm, this is good news. Could you give a few more details?

* What version of ndiswrapper are you using?

* What kernel are you running on?

* Were the M5310 drivers just the latest ones from the eMachines site?

Thanks!
Longshotnm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been talking to Emachines about getting the buggy code in their bios fixed. They do not appear to be interested. We all may need to call Emachines and hound them to fix the bios so the kernel maintainers don't have to write patches to get around the bios code.
doubledizown
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:11 am    Post subject: Grub boot problems Reply with quote

I successfully installed a 2.6.3-r2 kernel....emachines, genkernel, did everything per the instructions..
everything worked perfectly (and still does) but grub is being a little kooky.

for some reason, no matter how I modify grub.conf (and I know that i'm properly doing it because I can successfully modify the options for my XP boot), it refuses to recognize a line of the file upon boot and I have to manually type it in each time.

the line that begins with "kernel (hd0,1) etc" is omitted. Just not even there. I go into command line mode and load up my grub.conf off /dev/hda1, and still, it will not recognize it. The following line, "initrd (hd0,1) etc" is in tact, as is the "root (hd0,1)" line. Can anybody explain why?

It's strictly for convenience issues but it's a real pain in the neck.
Thanks, everything else is great.
-Ryan
Vesentac
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Space between kernel and (hda0,1) right?

grub is picky like that, need a space like, taking arguments.

if you can post your grub.conf here...
doubledizown
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vesentac wrote:
Space between kernel and (hda0,1) right?

grub is picky like that, need a space like, taking arguments.

if you can post your grub.conf here...

...I think I swallowed a bug.
heh thanks, no more moron questions, I promise. Hey, I can't be a newbie forever.
Insanity5902
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doubledizown - did you get the wireless working.
thither
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing that's driving me nuts about gentoo on this laptop is that the time changes every time I boot from WinXP to Linux. I've tried setting the "CLOCK" variable to UTC and local in /etc/rc.conf to no avail. What I'd like to do is, if possible, have both Windows and Linux leave the hardware clock the heck alone - anybody know a good way to do this?
doubledizown
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 3:04 am    Post subject: kde Reply with quote

Let me just tick everyone off real quick by saying that I've only used mandrake in the past and am pretty clueless... but willing to learn. Anyway, here goes:

Is anybody willing to walk me through installing xfree/kde on here? I haven't had much time to deal with the idiosyncracies nor do I (school is a hassle) for the time being, at least for a couple weeks... I have the latest amd64 livecd with emachines support all installed and working perfectly, except for the wireless nic. But i'm less concerned with that as of right now than just getting kde installed, i need a gui 8) but anyway, please reply, thanks.

-Ryan
scottymace
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: kde Reply with quote

doubledizown wrote:
Let me just tick everyone off real quick by saying that I've only used mandrake in the past and am pretty clueless... but willing to learn. Anyway, here goes:

Is anybody willing to walk me through installing xfree/kde on here? I haven't had much time to deal with the idiosyncracies nor do I (school is a hassle) for the time being, at least for a couple weeks... I have the latest amd64 livecd with emachines support all installed and working perfectly, except for the wireless nic. But i'm less concerned with that as of right now than just getting kde installed, i need a gui 8) but anyway, please reply, thanks.

-Ryan

Sure! "emerge kde" should do it. BUT! If you want to do it quick, get the precompiled AMD64 packages CD from the nearest mirror, and put them in /usr/portage/packages and run "emerge -K kde". That's what I did, and it worked like a charm. Also, "rc-update add xdm default" to start the display manager at boot. Edit /etc/rc.conf and set the DISPLAYMANAGER="kdm" and XSESSION="kde-3.2.0" settings and you should be set.
Scott
SyN/AcK
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So basically where we are right now is that:

1.) Built-in Wireless does not work. Period. I've heard people trying to use the wrappers, alas, with no luck.
2.) There is no 64-bit ATI Driver support and will not likely be for some time yet.

But, the good news is that this can be installed in 64-bit mode, the built-in NIC card works, sound aparently works, the media card reader appears to work (or has been reported to work), the touchpad will work, and it appears that the Gentoo developers are being good to us with the emachine kernel image on the new live cd (has anyone tried this yet??).

So, if we can get those two above issues resolved, I will be a very very happy person. As it stands, I have everything working but those, and am very pleased with the performance. There have been some strange issues for me, including problems getting Gnome and jackstart-audio-kit to build, but I at least resolved the Gnome problem.
scottymace
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SyN/AcK wrote:
So basically where we are right now is that:

1.) Built-in Wireless does not work. Period. I've heard people trying to use the wrappers, alas, with no luck.
2.) There is no 64-bit ATI Driver support and will not likely be for some time yet.

But, the good news is that this can be installed in 64-bit mode, the built-in NIC card works, sound aparently works, the media card reader appears to work (or has been reported to work), the touchpad will work, and it appears that the Gentoo developers are being good to us with the emachine kernel image on the new live cd (has anyone tried this yet??).

So, if we can get those two above issues resolved, I will be a very very happy person. As it stands, I have everything working but those, and am very pleased with the performance. There have been some strange issues for me, including problems getting Gnome and jackstart-audio-kit to build, but I at least resolved the Gnome problem.

Yes, that's it in a nutshell. Card reader does work. I have a sandisk 256, and a pny cf card both mounted. ACPI and power management is an issue as well. I can't seem to find the right combination of patches to allow me to get more tha an hour of battery life, and it doesn't seem to be able to see the multimedia keys. (cpufreq, and cpudyn don't work.) It also will not power off at shutdown. Oh, DVD's play just fine, and the burner works.

Scott
tejesh83
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd really like to get wireless working under linux. My attempts with a few distros both 32bit and 64 have failed. I did get some hardware activity (using ndiswrapper and linuxant) in 32bit MDK 10, but I had no success connecting to my home network. This has kept me from extensively using the laptop under linux. After a couple hrs of frustration in linux trying to get wireless up, I reboot back to Windows.

What steps should we take next to get the above posted hw/sw issues resolved?

EDIT: I contacted eMachines support, here is the reply:
"I suggest you contact the manufacturer of the software or visit your favorite search engine for details and downloads for your software".

From what I've read on Google groups, broadcom does not have any open source drivers for wireless nor any plans to produce them. The drivers section on Broadcom's website says to "please contact either the PC or board manufacturer for technical support." since they do not sell the product directly to customers.

I guess we may have to wait for ndiswrapper or linuxant to support AMD64 or replace the wireless with something supported natively.
nccuss17
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:53 pm    Post subject: alternative wireless drivers Reply with quote

for those of you wanting to get wireless working and don't want to use ndis (or didn't get ndis to work), there is a nother project at http://prism54.org which supposedly works with the broadcom mini-pci card (the supported cards page lists only 2 people that tried, but they both were supposedly sucessfull).

Also it looks like they may have some of their code in the next kernel (already in the beta versions of 2.6.4).

An internet radio show I participate in http://cafe-politics.knightcast.org

UCF computer forensics grad: Aug 2004
http://www2.knightcast.org/~alex/
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 4 of 13

Jump to: