Sata, raid0, grub and "Error 17"
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anderlin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:52 am    Post subject: Sata, raid0, grub and "Error 17" Reply with quote

I have just installed XP on my amd64-system, with two harddisks in sata-raid0. Then I bootet the Gentoo 2004.0 liveCD, and installed Gentoo. Everything went fine, until I restarted. Then Grub gave me error 17. My raid controller is Promise PDC203xx.

I have searched for ways to do this, but have not found any yet. Some mentioned installing Grub on a floppy, but for some reason, my floppy drive won't work yet.

Tanks for any comments.
ub818
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got that same error - i had setup grub wrong, so it wrote the wrong info into the mbr.

to fix this from the liveCD run grub - then do this..
root(hdX,X)
setup(hdX) <-- besure to not do (hdX,X) that will give you error 17
quit

Where ever X is replace it of what the partition number it is.
endpoint
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Sata, raid0, grub and "Error 17" Reply with quote

anderlin wrote:
I have just installed XP on my amd64-system, with two harddisks in sata-raid0. Then I bootet the Gentoo 2004.0 liveCD, and installed Gentoo. Everything went fine, until I restarted. Then Grub gave me error 17. My raid controller is Promise PDC203xx.

I have searched for ways to do this, but have not found any yet. Some mentioned installing Grub on a floppy, but for some reason, my floppy drive won't work yet.

Tanks for any comments.

I had the same problem with grub. I fixed the error 17 by running grub and :

grub> root (hd0,0)

grub> setup(hd0)

grub> quit

That solved my error 17 problem but I'm running on vt8237 not pdc203xx. I think the problem is in how the sata drive is recognized in a livecd boot vs a boot to sata hard drive. Maybe the above will solve your problem.

At the end of my installation though I got a kernel panic, something like:

VFS: Cannot open root device "hdg3" or 03:07
Please append a correct "root=" boot option
Kernel Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on .......

I wasn't able to figure out how to solve that from modifying grub.conf, boot parameters or the devicemap file so I decided to try to create a grub boot disk. I looked for /dev/fd0 and found nothing so I assumed floppy isn't enabled in the kernel on the gentoo livecd. However I was able to plug in a usb flash drive, mount it:

mkdir /mnt/flash
mount -t msdos /dev/sda1 /mnt/flash

and mount my root partition to /mnt/gentoo

then
cd /usr/share/grub/i386-pc
cp stage1 /mnt/flash
cp stage2 /mnt/flash

From there I got out of gentoo and booted up knoppix where floppy is enabled.

I mounted the flash drive and put a blank floppy in the drive and did:

cat stage1 stage2 > /dev/fd0

This made a grub floppy which I booted to and ran the original:

grub> root (hd0,0)

grub> setup(hd0)

grub>reboot

I rebooted to gentoo, remounted all my partitions, chrooted and continued with the installation. It worked for me but I'm sure there's a much easier way. That's just how this noob got gentoo running tonight!!!
:D
fixture
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, if I were you, I'd abandon the grub-static idea altogether,
I had a error 18 problem, so I just compiled a 32-bit gentoo on a separate partition from stg3 and compiled lilo on the 32-bit to load my 64-bit kernel. It works great, this is provided that you have the bandwidth....

fixture
GoingDown
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:25 pm    Post subject: problems booting from SATA disk after live-cd install Reply with quote

I also had same problem. Live-cd regognized my sata drive, and install went fine. After reboot, my root partition was not found...

During install, my SATA hard disk was found as /dev/hde (/dev/hda was my old hard disk).
I installed gentoo to /dev/hde8, boot partition /dev/hde2.

I configured kernel to use native SATA drivers (under scsi)

In grub setup, I did "root (hd1,1)", "setup(hd1)". In grub config, my kernel line has root=/dev/hde8. I also configured /dev/hde2 as boot and /dev/hde8 as root in my fstab.

In next reboot, I got error 17. I did setup grub again, this time root (hd0,1), setup (hd0). This worked for error 17.

In next reboot, after selecting Linux from grub menu, I got kernel panic after a while - "cannot open root device /dev/hde8..."

After some tweaking, I found out reason for this : because I am using native SATA driver, I must use /dev/sdX as a SATA drive device instead of /dev/hdX - so, I changed my /kernel line in grub.conf to point to /dev/sda8 instead of /dev/hde8, and also configured fstab accordingly.

After that, my system booted succesfully
endpoint
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: problems booting from SATA disk after live-cd install Reply with quote

GoingDown wrote:
I also had same problem. Live-cd regognized my sata drive, and install went fine. After reboot, my root partition was not found...

During install, my SATA hard disk was found as /dev/hde (/dev/hda was my old hard disk).

In grub setup, I did "root (hd1,1)", "setup(hd1)". In grub config, my kernel line has root=/dev/hde8. I also configured /dev/hde2 as boot and /dev/hde8 as root in my fstab.

In next reboot, I got error 17. I did setup grub again, this time root (hd0,1), setup (hd0). This worked for error 17.

In next reboot, after selecting Linux from grub menu, I got kernel panic after a while - "cannot open root device /dev/hde8..."

After some tweaking, I found out reason for this : because I am using native SATA driver, I must use /dev/sdX as a SATA drive device instead of /dev/hdX - so, I changed my /kernel line in grub.conf to point to /dev/sda8 instead of /dev/hde8, and also configured fstab accordingly.

Cool answer. I'll have to try that with on my ex windoze 64 beta partition. Yeah, I get to load gentoo again!! (My girlfriend hates you) :lol:
BlinkEye
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: problems booting from SATA disk after live-cd install Reply with quote

GoingDown wrote:

i'm not quite sure what your system specs are. may you have a look at https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=931208#931208 and verify if i have the same problem? one of my SATA disk is attached to the promise controller and is therefore mapped to sdaX. but the other two are attached to the VIA SATA controller and the got mapped to hdeX and hdgX. i tried your suggestion but it doesn't work for me. maybe you could post your grub.conf?

Last edited by BlinkEye on Sun Mar 07, 2004 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total
brad_mssw
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

please read http://amd64.gentoo.org
and note that the raid0 that you may have created using your
on-board sata controller is NOT going to be compatible in the
way you may think it is. It could infact totally mess up your
Windows and Linux partitions when dual-booting.
BlinkEye
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well. i'm not quite sure who your are talking to. but for my case i have read http://amd64.gentoo.org and i don't know, why it shouldn't be possible to make a raid5 with my two onboard controllers - because with the live cd (2004) the drives are recognized and i could "makeraid" them without any problem. i use software-raid and not hardware raid. i think this is simply a bootloader issue. i wouldn't mind about a workaround, because i set this 64bit machine up to be my server and wouldn't need to boot many times. but the problem might be exactly the 64bit option, i.e. grub-static.
BlinkEye
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw: just set it up without RAID and i get the same error. any hint?
GoingDown
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: problems booting from SATA disk after live-cd install Reply with quote

BlinkEye wrote:

i'm not quite sure what your system specs are. may you have a look at https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=931208#931208 and verify if i have the same problem? one of my SATA disk is attached to the promise controller and is therefore mapped to sdaX. but the other two are attached to the VIA SATA controller and the got mapped to hdeX and hdgX. i tried your suggestion but it doesn't work for me. maybe you could post your grub.conf?

My system : ASUS K8V Deluxe, AMD64 3200+, 1x Seagate SATA HD 160GB, 1x Maxtor 80GB pata hd.

As you see, I don't use raid - only SATA as boot device.

My SATA disk is connected to VIA sata connector, not Promise one, and still it is /dev/sda in my config. I think it depends of kernel configuration? I have custom config.
BlinkEye
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok. got it working with the sdX mapping: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=930991#930991
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: