Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Lila Theme Official Thread (Part 1)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dgt84
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 4:40 pm    Post subject: Lila Theme Official Thread (Part 1) Reply with quote

Hello Everyone :)
This is the official thread for the Lila themes. You can see a screenshot of the GNOME/GTK themes in action here.

Make sure to check out our new wiki! Please use the wiki to download the themes. I've decided to stop listing them here because it is easier when others can also update the page.

The themes are made entirely of SVG graphics which means they can be scaled to any size without loss of quality, and are based on Gentoo Linux.

There is also an experimental script written by Unne that lets you change the theme's colors here.

This thread is for the following things:
-Icon/Theme Additions
-Icon/Theme Requests
-Ideas
-Comments

Any and all contributions to the theme are welcome! Please, if you see an application icon that is missing, try to make one! Also, please take a look at existing icons in /usr/share/icons/* to see what other icons need to be made (hint, the apps and mimetypes folders have a _lot_ of icons in them).

Contributing to the theme:
For all those that wish to contribute icons, here are some general specifications to follow.
The icons are made using Inkscape, but you can probably use Sodipodi as well.
Make sure to check out my Inkscape Tutorials.
Sizes
-Icon size should be 48x48 pts
-Border size should be 1.5, unless the border is within another part of the icon (for example, some of the mimetypes may not have 1.5 borders)
-The entire icon (with drop shadow) should fit within the document border visible in Inkscape.
Colors - Gradients
-The dark purple is a gradient from rgb(0.85, 0.80, 0.90) to rgb(0.45, 0.40, 0.50)
-The light purple is a gradient from rgb(1.0, 1.0, 1.0) to rgb(0.85, 0.80, 0.90)
-The highlight gradient is just white, but the alpha value goes from 1.0 to 0.0
-The red is a gradient from rgb(0.96, 0, 0) to rgb(0.66, 0, 0)
-The green gradient is from rgb(0.25, 0.50, 0.25) to rgb(0.50, 1.0, 0.50)
-Other colors can be added in the future, so go ahead and be creative!
Colors - Borders
-The border color for the purples should be rgb(0.15, 0.10, 0.20)
-All other border colors shoulld follow this pattern: green = rgb(0, 0.20, 0), red = rgb(0.20, 0, 0), yellow = rgb(0.20, 0.20, 0), etc...
Shapes
-Most shapes should be smooth whenever possible (unless an application icon needs to have sharp corners or such).
-Most shapes should have a drop shadow, which is just a copy without a border, colored black with 30% opacity.
Naming schemes
-GNOME icons should follow the GNOME theme naming scheme, e.g. gnome-dev-cdrom, gnome-fs-home, etc...
-Application icons should be named whatever the normal icon for that application's menu item is, e.g. gcalctool for the GNOME Calculator, media-player-48 for Totem, evolution-1.4 for Ximian Evolution, etc... (This can be found out by right clicking, hitting properties and clicking the icon. The default name should be shown)

Last edited by dgt84 on Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:25 pm; edited 19 times in total
shm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Lila GNOME/GTK Theme Reply with quote

dgt84 wrote:
If I get some support I may open a project at sourceforge for the icons, so what do you think?

I'm all for it, and I don't even have gtk or gnome installed :)

Good work, more SVG iconsets are always welcome. I don't have any artistic skills, but I'm sure others in these forums do who are willing to support this set.
Wolven
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work!
The theme is nice, not as purple as I feard it would be before I installed it. But a nice cool clean look. :D
I like the icons too they'r not as pink as I remeber them from the preview you showed us earlier. They fit nicely it to the theme, and I like the soft/round feel they have.
Two thumbs up.
dgt84
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Lila GNOME/GTK Theme Reply with quote

shm wrote:

I'm all for it, and I don't even have gtk or gnome installed :)

Good work, more SVG iconsets are always welcome. I don't have any artistic skills, but I'm sure others in these forums do who are willing to support this set.

If you know how icon sets for e.g. KDE work it would be nice to get the theme working for that as well! I only chose GNOME/GTK because that's what I use. I also don't know if the industrial engine works for QT, but we can find out.

Wolven wrote:
Nice work!
The theme is nice, not as purple as I feard it would be before I installed it. But a nice cool clean look.
I like the icons too they'r not as pink as I remeber them from the preview you showed us earlier. They fit nicely it to the theme, and I like the soft/round feel they have.
Two thumbs up.

I'm glad you like it :)
I changed the purple to be more grey because I know a lot of people were complaining about it, and I figured this way it's still very Gentoo-like without making you want to gouge your eyes out :lol:

I think I will create a sourceforge project for the theme (it would save me some bandwidth too, which is good), and then anyone that wishes to help I'll add on as a dev, so just let me know (and I'll post again when the sf.net stuff is set up).
x2z
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome theme. Great job.
dgt84
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

x2z wrote:
Awesome theme. Great job.

I've requested the project to be set up on sourceforge... now we wait to see if it is approved...

Still no help from anyone?
nrl
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, very nice I've been on the look out for a good SVG theme for a while :D.
Unne
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First time I've changed my scheme in months. Wonderful. I'd help if I had the skill.
dgt84
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unne wrote:
I'd help if I had the skill.

It may be easier than you think to help out. Go ahead and emerge Inkscape and take a look at the tutorials if you are interested.
guy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the gameboy controller alone makes it awesome !

Last edited by guy on Sun Apr 04, 2004 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
kaput
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work! Since some of the icons are somewhat Gentoo specific, it'd be great to get an ebuild worked into Portage. Also, that way, it'll be easier to know when updates and new icons have been commited. :wink:
dgt84
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kaput wrote:
Nice work! Since some of the icons are somewhat Gentoo specific, it'd be great to get an ebuild worked into Portage. Also, that way, it'll be easier to know when updates and new icons have been commited. :wink:

Thanks, and the ebuild sounds like a good idea, though I'd like to wait and see if SourceForge will host the files to save my server! Either way, within the next few days I'll make an ebuild (perhaps this should be included in gentoo-artwork?).
dvc5
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you get your icons to work for the gnome menu and nautilus directory tree "home" icon? Mine uses the default w/ the Lila icons for everything else.

Green Is Good
Hypnos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not my style, but pretty and usable -- good work!
dgt84
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lozdvc5 wrote:
How did you get your icons to work for the gnome menu and nautilus directory tree "home" icon? Mine uses the default w/ the Lila icons for everything else.

That icon is pretty much gone in GNOME 2.5.90, so I didn't notice, but now that you mention it I do see what you mean. I don't have it working here either, so if anyone knows the name of the icon I can fix it. (I know it's _not_ gnome-fs-home, because that one is set)
dgt84
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the double post, but I figured it out:
Make a link from (if using nautilus just right-click and select 'make link' and cut/paste the link to where I say below):
Code:
/usr/share/icons/Lila/scalable/filesystems/gnome-fs-home.svg -> /usr/share/icons/Lila/scalable/apps/gnome-home.svg

and
Code:
/usr/share/icons/Lila/scalable/filesystems/gnome-fs-directory.svg -> /usr/share/icons/Lila/scalable/apps/gnome-folder.svg

Then, when you reload the theme it should now show up with the Lila icons :)
If you don't want to do this, it is fixed in my local version, which will turn into version 0.2 soon (still waiting for the SourceForge project space).
dreas
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was planning on doing some stuff on inkscape soon anyway (have only done some stuff on freehand here at work yet). It's just that my spare time is very limited and I'll have to start coding anytime soon as well. So I might be able to help some.

By the way, it would be rather easy to color these icons differently, wouldn't it?

@guy: Looks like a NES controller to me! :wink:
dgt84
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dreas wrote:
I was planning on doing some stuff on inkscape soon anyway (have only done some stuff on freehand here at work yet). It's just that my spare time is very limited and I'll have to start coding anytime soon as well. So I might be able to help some.

That's great! I will probably be busy for the next week or two doing exams and trying to get Porthole 0.3 out the door, but after that I'll be working on the theme again :)
Quote:
By the way, it would be rather easy to color these icons differently, wouldn't it?

A simple shell script can be written to do it, as SVG is just XML. (The shell script can crawl the files looking for specific gradients and/or fill/stroke colors and change them)
Quote:
@guy: Looks like a NES controller to me! :wink:

Yeah, I used a keychain of a Nintendo controller as a model when making the icon :D
dvc5
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet! That fixed it for me. Thanks for your help.

Green Is Good
dreas
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dgt84 wrote:
That's great! I will probably be busy for the next week or two doing exams and trying to get Porthole 0.3 out the door, but after that I'll be working on the theme again :)

Well, just drop me a note then, in the meanwhile I'll check out your icon set.

Oh, and what a coincidence. Do you need some more help with Porthole? I'm currently in the process of learning C++ as part of my education. The school I attend to is pretty boring, coding-wise. We just learned pointers and it finally starts getting interesting. Most of the stuff is quite similar to PHP (or vice-versa) and I'm pretty good at PHP as of now. :wink: I think it'd be better to join an existing project rather than starting a new one from scratch. And I gotta start coding at home asap, I need some practice.

Quote:
A simple shell script can be written to do it, as SVG is just XML. (The shell script can crawl the files looking for specific gradients and/or fill/stroke colors and change them)

That's awesome, once finished this should be taken into consideration so the icon set fits different themes.
d3c3it
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wondered where everyone was getting those icons from, they are seriously nice :)
hjlane3
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're very nice! good work! can't wait for the theme to be more complete :-)
Vidar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After trying to create a few icons, the only one I've been able to succeed at is a beep-media player icon. All I've been able to really do is do a grad. swap... You can download it here:

http://geocities.com/n_ick2000/bmpsvg.html (yes I know geocities is horrible)

Wow, I didn't think svg icons would be that hard. It litterally took me a couple of hours to figure out how to do the grad swap. Kudos to dgt84 for doing ALL that work.

Anyway, some icons I would really like to see:
Gaim
Mozilla Firefox
Xchat
The rest of the basic gnome set (that would take forever)

Please somebody with graphic tallent take this up. It's an awesome theme and to be complete it needs a larger icon set.
dgt84
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dreas wrote:

Well, just drop me a note then, in the meanwhile I'll check out your icon set.

Will do :)
dreas wrote:
Oh, and what a coincidence. Do you need some more help with Porthole? I'm currently in the process of learning C++ as part of my education. The school I attend to is pretty boring, coding-wise. We just learned pointers and it finally starts getting interesting. Most of the stuff is quite similar to PHP (or vice-versa) and I'm pretty good at PHP as of now. :wink: I think it'd be better to join an existing project rather than starting a new one from scratch. And I gotta start coding at home asap, I need some practice.

It's great that you want to help! Porthole is written in Python though, not C++ :? You wouldn't happen to know any python would you?
dreas wrote:
Quote:

That's awesome, once finished this should be taken into consideration so the icon set fits different themes.

Yes, I was thinking the same thing.
Vidar wrote:
After trying to create a few icons, the only one I've been able to succeed at is a beep-media player icon. All I've been able to really do is do a grad. swap... You can download it here:

http://geocities.com/n_ick2000/bmpsvg.html (yes I know geocities is horrible)

I can see the picture, but I can't seem to get the svg! The icon looks nice though :)
Vidar wrote:
Wow, I didn't think svg icons would be that hard. It litterally took me a couple of hours to figure out how to do the grad swap. Kudos to dgt84 for doing ALL that work.

Thanks, but it gets easier over time :) Did yiou take a look at my Inkscape Tutorials?
Vidar wrote:
Anyway, some icons I would really like to see:
Gaim
Mozilla Firefox
Xchat
The rest of the basic gnome set (that would take forever)

Well, I'm working on it :)
At the moment, I've added icons for Evolution, gcalctool, ghex, gdict, gucharmap, gimp, glade (the mimetype) and made a few more symbolic links to get a few more mimetypes working. I don't plan on releasing version 0.2 too soon though, I want to get a nice amount of icons added (at least 20 or 30) before another release.
Vidar wrote:
Please somebody with graphic tallent take this up. It's an awesome theme and to be complete it needs a larger icon set.

Yes, please! :wink:
I think with another 100 ~ 200 icons the set will be quite complete. It will take some time though....

Also, thanks to everyone that has given me compliments, they are appreciated!
dreas
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dgt84 wrote:
It's great that you want to help! Porthole is written in Python though, not C++ :? You wouldn't happen to know any python would you?

I'm aware that it's not C++ and I do not happen to know python yet. Anyway, I might just delve into it. I badly need practice and I think code is code, it won't differ much except syntax-wise, will it?
Anyway, let's keep this out of this topic, I'm waiting for your message to arrive. :wink:
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
Page 1 of 43

Jump to: