View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
puddpunk
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 10:11 pm    Post subject: small KDE problems (plural!!) Reply with quote

I've emerged the new beta version of KDE 3.1, and there are a few things that i can't fix, but are quite annoying!

• Some charecters on my keyboard i need to press twice in a row to get that charecter (such as " or ' or ~).
  • When i start up a Konsole, i get a crappy bash prompt with none of my customised alias's etc...
    Code:
    sh-2.05a$ ls
    0755           bin         download                 k.txt                p                shirtfe.jpg               temp
    1535pbdp1.PDF  build       eterm_command            kdebuild             partition        snapshot1.png             ut-install-436-GOTY.run
    24310.pdf      cbtp.jpg    flash_linux.tar.gz       kvirc-3.0.0-beta1    play             snapshot2.png             wc3key.exe
    26698.pdf      cbtrpu.jpg  games                    kvirc-3.0.0-xmas     plugin131.trace  snapshot3.png             winfiles
    Desktop        cvs         gcc-3.2.tar.bz2.prz.log  list                 serv-who         snapshot4.png             wokay
    GNUstep        dev         gotmail                  minipuddpunker.icon  serv-who.c       stage1-x86-1.4_beta.tbz2
    Mail           documents   hostlist                 mp3list              shirtbe.jpg      stdole32.tlb
    sh-2.05a$
    Which means its not reading ANY of my bash Init files (like .bashrc or .bash_profile, or indeed /etc/profile).
  • And an issue detailed here: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=15992 . In KDE3.0.3, using this colourscheme, I had no problems!

If you can help with any/all of these problems i would greatly appreciate it.
snoopey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: small KDE problems (plural!!) Reply with quote

puddpunk wrote:
Which means its not reading ANY of my bash Init files (like .bashrc or .bash_profile, or indeed /etc/profile).

Try adding
Code:
*loginShell:        true
to your ~/.Xdefaults
puddpunk
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, sadly the tip didnt work but thanks for your help!
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

puddpunk wrote:
Thanks for the reply, sadly the tip didnt work but thanks for your help!

I suspect that the reason for having to press some keys twice in order for the character toappear is due to the LANG environement variable. The keys in question are most likely dead-keys, i.e. they are used for accents. Pressing ~ + n will yield the spanish n with tilde above.

Try to remove LANG from your environment prior to starting KDE.

The next question is how do you start KDE?
From KDM or XDM or by executing startx?

If from KDM, you should see something like the following when you do a ps-ef:
ebrostig 13640 13613 0 13:53 ? 00:00:00 /bin/sh /etc/X11/Sessions/kde-3.1_beta1
ebrostig 13707 13640 0 13:53 ? 00:00:00 /bin/sh --login /usr/kde/3.1/bin/startkde

Unless you see the --login, it is not setting the environment as is normal during a regular console login.

Erik
puddpunk
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help ebrostig.

When i issue a PS command:
Code:
chris     5076  0.0  0.2  2140  324 ?        S    10:11   0:00 /bin/sh /etc/X11/Sessions/kde-3.1_beta1
chris     5119  0.0  0.2  2156  324 ?        S    10:11   0:00 /bin/sh --login /usr/kde/3.1/bin/startkde

and when i issue an echo command:
Code:

sh-2.05a$ echo $LANG

sh-2.05a$ unset $LANG
sh-2.05a$ echo $LANG

sh-2.05a$

?? You were right about the deadkeys. I press ~ then n and it makes ñ. I just dont know how to fix it!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: