Question for which tarball to use....
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theneopro
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 3:02 pm    Post subject: Question for which tarball to use.... Reply with quote

If you haven't noticed that I am new to the PPC world i will reinstate it then hehe. I have unsuccessfully installed gentoo on my PowerBook G4 800. The closest I have gotten was booting into it without a keyboard input? Now the question I am asking is, should I be using the stage3-g4-1.4_rc1.tbz2 ???? or should i use the ppc file instead? I noticed that the G4 is no longer on the ibibilo site due to a bug. Could that have been my problem? I really need to get this done by Saturday. i am definitely on a crunch. My school work is falling behind and I am mostly using my desktop PC gentoo box for all my work. But I am rarely home these days due to work and nightly lessons. I wont regret getting a mac laptop because of PC laptop proprietary manufacturer drivers. I want to utilize as much of the given hardware as possible. 95% would be acceptable. but of course 100% is better. Anyway I am curious to find a solution as soon as possible.

Thanks in advanced.

-Mykey
intastella
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First I'd get over to irc.openprojects.net in the #gentoo-ppc channel and get ahold of Gerk for an ETA on the G4 tarballs.

If it is going to be more than a couple of days, I'd boot from the 1.2 iso then use the 1.4_rc1 ppc stage 1 tarball from the server. Then emerge rsysnc, emerge -u portage, and make sure the working flags are in make.conf, make.global, and make.defaults in /etc/profile (just to be sure). Here are the flags so you don't have to hunt them down:

CFLAGS=" -O2 -pipe -mcpu=7400 -maltivec -mabi=altivec -fsigned-char "

Then bootstrap and emerge system following the rest of the instructions.

Hope that helps,

Don
Gerk
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, exactly the best thing to do.
theneopro
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 1:36 am    Post subject: Thanks for direction Reply with quote

Intastella && Gerk

thanks for the response and pointing me into the correct direction. Now if work would leave me alone so i am able to accomplish this I would be set.

-Mykey
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: