Wine or WineX setup.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
m00re
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 4:40 pm    Post subject: Wine or WineX setup. Reply with quote

I have some questions considering wine and/or winex.

1) Do I need a Windows-Installation?
2) Can I just copy a Windows-Dir to whereever I like on my Linux System?
3) What is better: Win98 or Windows2000/WinXP dll-Files?
4) Better use Wine or WineX?
5) Can somebody give me an URL to a good HowTo or give me a good Configfile example? The ones I've found untill now aren't very clear to me. Whether I'm too stupid or just to tired atm.

Thanks for your help.

Greets Jens
rojaro
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check this ... it's the halflife/wine howto ... explains most stuff you'll need to know :)
m00re
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Das ist leider keine Antwort auf meine Frage. ;)
rojaro
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok ...

1. no
2. basically yes
3. win98 - more stable (yes ... remember we're talking about an abstraction layer for windows applications - not an emulator or a virtualmachine) and better supported
4. winex if you want to play games as the directx support works pretty well
5. see the link in the post above as everything is explained in the howto

or use the searchfunction and you might stumble across this, this (i know this one is not exactly helpful but contains a goodlooking configuration example), this, this (with a working config) and also check the the official transgaming (the makers of winex) installation FAQ (i didnt need anything else to get it running smoothly) and the official winex general FAQ (which tells you some stuff like how to configure your fonts with winex correctly) - and last but not least there are OFFICIAL WINEX FORUMS (the last link refers to a search mask for games...enter the name of a game and viola...) which should answer all questions.

also a nice thing to read for really, really good and fast support is this document ... but i assume you're just too tired as the configfiles are pretty much self-explaining ... normally you just emerge it, modify the config a little (paths) and maybe (if you intend to run stuff like visualbasic applications or newest MFC stuff) copying some runtime libraries ...
m00re
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your 2nd reply - that helped me much more and answered my question.

Considering the bottom of your post I only wanna say the following: I searched this forum for "Wine AND config" and "Winex AND config" but the results did not answer all of my questions. And the FAQ mostly covers the problems some users have using wine/x. What I wanted to know is how wine works (not the details).
rojaro
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

m00re wrote:
Thanks for your 2nd reply - that helped me much more and answered my question.

Considering the bottom of your post I only wanna say the following: I searched this forum for "Wine AND config" and "Winex AND config" but the results did not answer all of my questions. And the FAQ mostly covers the problems some users have using wine/x. What I wanted to know is how wine works (not the details).

hehe ... wasnt meant seriously anyway ... you said said that you were tired and i just assumed ... did say so didnt i? :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: